The Next Monkees Box Set - A Proposal

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FredV, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

With the release of the excellent 'Instant Replay' deluxe set, things look promising for Rhino Handmade to hopefully release a box set for 'The Monkees' Present' album sometime in the future. It really depends on how much previously unreleased material is available that can fill another set, since a lot of the songs that appeared on the 'Present' album have already been represented on the previously released Rhino Handmade Monkees sets, and the prospect of a lot of duplication is very likely. And there's the possibility of a 'Changes' set, which is another can of worms by itself. Is there really enough material in the vaults that Andrew and Rhino have recently discovered that can fill another box set, let alone two?

I'd like to propose, depending if there is material but not enough for two sets, that Andrew and Rhino consider an idea that Michelle actually came up with sometime ago of a combined box set of the remaining Monkees recordings from the end of 1969 into 1970. Both the 'Present' and 'Changes' album can be well represented with whatever leftover tracks and rarities are still in the vaults. I'd also like to propose that the set include a DVD of the Monkees TV appearances from 1969 to 1970, which would feature their appearances on 'Laugh In', 'Glen Campbell', 'Johnny Cash', 'Happening '69', the 'Oh My My' video, as well as all of the Monkees' Kool Aid commercials which were the last things Nesmith did as a Monkee to fulfill his contractual obligations. Clips of these were shown during the 2011 Monkees tour and they were extremely fascinating to watch and I know the fans would love to have good quality copies of them.

If Andrew and any Rhino representatives read this, I hope they will keep my suggestions under consideration. In addition, definitely take Michelle's design for a combined 69-70 set into consideration, it's very creative and represents this conclusive period of the Monkees career very well.

[​IMG]

Cheers! :righton:

Rubber Soul likes this.
  2. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

Davy Fell Into His French Horn

3. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

cool artwork! but it should have the title Present next to changes as in The monkees Present Changes!

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That's a very cool concept! Love it.

5. 905

905 Senior Member

Sounds great

6. BenB5150

BenB5150 Forum Resident

I like the idea you have for the content but, I personally would prefer that Present and Changes be kept separate so that each album can have their own dedicated box art. As long as this material get to the fans I'll be happy! :righton:

Ben

7. readr

readr Forum Resident

It would be fun, but Handmade (Andrew) is not really taking liberties with the cover art (to that extreme) and concept of the series. The Monkees Present, IMO, with get a standard 3 disc box set Deluxe version (if and when they decide we are ready). I just don't think Changes will get looked at. Maybe as a catch-all 3 disc final box, with Changes (+ bonus tracks), Pool It (+ bonus tracks) and Justus (+ bonus tracks).....but this even seems to be Friday territory. The better question is "how are they going to fill 3 discs with Present material"? Mono tracks are going to be few and far between, so we are looking at a first disc with the album stereo master and bonus tracks (which are usually alt. mixes and key outtakes from the album sessions). We could get a 2nd disc very similar to the IR 3rd disc, using backing tracks (which is a great place to dump a lot of those Nesmith unreleased gems). For a 3rd disc I think we would get all of the remaining post-Present/pre-Changes outtakes and unreleased, like Time And Time Again. But, we're still a little shy.

So, here's what I think might happen. We could, quite possibly, get digital versions of the Rhino singles. The only one I really would like to get on CD is Sally....for collectors reasons (the song is not so good). The 3rd disc is a mystery, so I'm really looking forward to the next series. Andrew's said he'd love to revisit the first four albums with this type of collection, so I have to imagine a catch-all 3rd disc might not happen -- so as to not unload quality outtakes/alt. mixes that might show up later. I can really see Handmade doing the first two albums and Pisces over as a 3 disc Deluxe box (we'd buy 'em up), and Headquarters as a hybrid of the Sessions and Deluxe sets. It might really happen. These sets have been doing very well for Handmade....why not?

8. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I kind of agree about keeping these two albums seperate, at least "Presents". If there's enough material how about combining "Changes", "DJB&H" and any solo material during that time frame? At the very least we'd get (hopefully) a remaster of "DJB&H".
    I know that probably the label logistics would prevent it, but it would be kinda cool...

9. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

There is plenty of material to fill a three CD "Present" set. Many mono mixes were created for the syndicated show in 1969, more outtakes like "Opening Night" and the unfinished "How Can I Tell You", songs we know from the "Missing Links" series like "Steam Engine", "Storybook Of You", "Music Bridge", "If You Have The Time" (various mixes), "Penny Music", "Angel Band", "Down The Highway", "Little Red Rider", "Calico Girlfriend Samba", "You're So Good", the Nesmith backing tracks from 1968 and 1969 like "No Title", "Empire", "Pinball Machine", "Seasons", "London Bridge", "Good Afternoon", "Thirteen's Not Our Lucky Number", "Lynn Harper", "Michigan Blackhawk", "Little Tommy Blue", "Omega", "Thank You My Friend" etc, various mixes of "Listen To The Band" plus all the tracks on the album should exist in some kind of early mixed form.

10. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Continued from above:

"Time And Time Again", "The Good Earth", "Til Then", "A Bus That Never Comes", "Suzanna Sometime", "Today", "Windy Day At Kitty Hawk" (if the tapes are found), The leftover "33 1/3" tracks and there are many early takes of the album tracks as well.

From the looks of it, "Present" would be the best of the lot. It's definitely the one I look forward to most.

11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'd love to see a 'Presents' box.

Darryl

12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

More importantly to me, the first four albums beg for revisiting with the full box set treatment.

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Licensing vintage TV shows for a DVD can be crazy expensive.

14. dasjr

dasjr Forum Resident

Between what I know is out there, and what I've heard on Andrew's podcasts, there is certainly enough for one more box set. However, I like the thought of a "Monkees Present" cover that somehow can alternate between the color and black & white versions. This can either be a magically changing cover, or a layered one in which the color layer can be removed. One wouldn't need to include the Changes LP (Friday already reissued that by itself), but would throw in what few alternates there are from those sessions.

Here's a quick list of what's left (not counting 33 & 1/3 leftovers)...

Officially released before, but scattered about:
    * Listen to the Band- true mono mix (on Rhino CD, not Friday CD)
    * Listen to the Band- early version (The Monkees Present... reissue)
    * Listen to the Band- stereo (Greatest Hits)
    * Mommy & Daddy- stereo remix (By Request)
    * Little Red Rider (Missing Links 3)
    * Calico Girlfriend (The Monkees Present... reissue)
    * Down The Highway (aka Michigan Blackhawk) (Missing Links 2)
    * Angel Band (Missing Links 3)
    * "The Monkees Present..." radio spot (The Monkees Present... reissue)
    * I Didn't Know You Had It In You Sally (2007 vinyl single) vocals: 1969
    * Penny Music (Missing Links 3)
    * Steam Engine (Missing Links 3)
    * Steam Engine (LTTB longer remix)
    * You're So Good- with Sam & the Goodtimers (Missing Links 3)
    * My Storybook of You (Missing Links)
    * The Good Earth (The Monkees Present... reissue)
    * If You Have the Time (Missing Links)- LP/cassette has longer fade
    * Time and Time Again (Missing Links)- has count-in unlike Changes reissue
    * We'll Be Back in a Minute #1 (Missing Links 3)
    * We'll Be Back in a Minute #2 (Missing Links 3)
    * Do It in the Name of Love- released single version (Changes reissue)
    * Lady Jane- released single version (Changes reissue)

Still-unreleased:
    - Opening Night (unreleased)
    - How Can I Tell You (unreleased)
    - Steam Engine- Chip Douglas single version (unreleased on CD)
    - I Never Thought It Peculiar (Come To The Sunshine podcast)
    - Looking For The Good Times (backing, Come To The Sunshine podcast)
    - various backing tracks

15. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Hmmmm.... Doesn't look like enough for 3 CDs, though.

16. readr

readr Forum Resident

Thank you.
    We need 80+ tracks to make a 3 disc comp for Present. My guess, though, is that this was already compiled or outlined by Andrew a long time ago (because there's obvious holding of tracks for the next set going on--like LTTB from the Nashville sessions--which the best clue for the next box). We know we'll get some backing tracks or outtakes for Good Clean Fun and LTTB. We'll get the Nesmith backing tracks May thru July '69. I would be suprised to see BB&M-era Nesmith backing tracks (which after seeing the IR box, seems there could have easily been a 4th disc of backing tracks for that box). Now that we have been treated to the last two box sets, the BB&M box seems crammed and incomplete in comparison. Anyway, I'm really curious to see what Andrew comes up with for the Present box.

17. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I'd rather have an odds n' sods third Present disc than to have to rebuy the first four albums again.

18. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

There are also some of those songs that have been floating around for years that could use a legit release...

"If I Knew" with extra acoustic guitar part. Really fills out the song nicely.
    "If You Have the Time" TV version with piano way up in the mix and no synth.
    "My Storybook of You" with extra acoustic guitar/there's also a Davy/Tommy Boyce vocals version
    "I Never Thought It Peculiar" the TV version without horns/strings different than Andrew's CTTS version
    "Of You" with Nez's redone vocals from 1969

Between this list and the info in Andrew's book, there's more than enough to fill up three cds.

19. BenB5150

BenB5150 Forum Resident

I remember hearing some live stuff with the Goodtimers in a podcast Andrew did with Nez. That would be cool to include if there is enough and it's in decent shape to issue. Even if its just for historical purpose to hear them from that era would be nice to have on a Present box set.

Ben

20. alais71

alais71 Forum Resident

I would LOVE to hear some if not all of the 69 concerts that were recorded. That and an offical release of Nine times Blue from the Johnny Cash show, heck throw in the meddley from the Glen Campbell show. I would postively buy a Present box set then.

21. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

A Present box set with Goodtimers live material might make this set the best of the bunch, so far.

22. MusicFan76

MusicFan76 Forum Resident

I missed some of the podcasts. What live material from '69 did Andrew play?

23. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

All the earlier takes and alternate mixes of the album tracks, mono mixes for the syndicated TV show, outtakes and their earlier takes plus alternate mixes, backing tracks, studio banter, radio promos, good earths, missing links etc. They definitely have more than enough to work with.

24. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Yeah, I doubt that'll happen. But, if a DVD were to be released, don't forget Davy's performance of "French Song" in that asian flick.

At the end of the day, I just want the Monkees & Nesmith's vaults empty and my CD rack full.

25. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Now that is what I like to hear!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.