John Lennon (October 9, 1940 – December 8, 1980).

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

2. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

This photo has always hit me the hardest regarding 12-8-1980. Pretty much says it all:

[​IMG]

RIP John

3. robargebl

robargebl Forum Resident

Going to do the same thing I have done for the last 7 or 8 years on this night: play the 4 disc box set that Yoko compiled of all demos and alternate takes. I was 8 and still remember the morning after when my mom told me. She was definitely shaken up since she was a huge fan and got me into them. What a waste...(as he is singing on"Attica State").

4. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

RIP. And let's not forget the other deaths on this crazy nite...Dimebag Darrell, lead guitarist of Pantera, and Razzle, drummer of Hanoi Rocks. Both of these deaths rocked the metal and hard rock worlds...:sigh:

6. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I always mention this when this time rolls around. After listening to the radio and watching TV about John's murder that night, I went to my bedroom. I walked into the room and lying on the floor was John's portrait from the White Album. The other three photos were still hanging on the wall. It gave me chills and still does thinking about it.

7. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

sjaca likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Wow, thanks. BB used to be on ABC 7 out here in LA a long time earlier. Used to like him..

Cassius likes this.
  9. JimC

JimC Senior Member

For me at age 18, it was definitely a different world that began in the following days. That night was singular. I felt a free-falling absurdity that has never completely left. I remember "Yes It Is" and its mournful pedal tone sound defining that night.

Ricardo Cosinaro likes this.
  10. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

i was not aware of that concert they showed at the end of the bill bonds clip above, a funraiser concert raising money for the retarted, i never knew that existed, is this show commonly known?

11. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

12. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

I had just turned 9 a week earlier, and was familiar with the Beatles at that time from my father playing the albums but that's about it. I remember my dad telling me the next morning (I was already in bed when it happened), and I spent the next few days taping all the Beatles that they were playing on the radio on my new stereo I'd just received for my birthday. I still have those cassettes, and they were my Beatles collection until many years later when I finally got a CD player and bought the CDs. So unfortunately his death was really the event that turned me on to their genius in the most intense way.

13. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

14. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Was McCartney's "drag" comment taken badly in the UK? I never found it offensive or unusual. Over the past few years I've been watching and listening to a lot of British TV and radio, and Paul's comment seems to be an example of supreme sarcasm while simultaneously commenting on the absurdity of the hoard of photographers and reporters asking him those questions (why did you come to work? what were you doing?, when did you find out, etc...). It may have come across as flippant to some, but I think it was a more sincere expression of pain and anger than an official statement. It just seems very British - in a way that an American might interpret it as a fan of British humor, style, etc....

tteal likes this.
  15. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

No, of course not, but we never took Lennon's 1966 bigger than Jesus comment like the media in the USA made it out to be something it was not, i guess in the USA there was/or is a lot of influential people who are jealous or do not like what The Beatles achieved there and the impact they had on the masses !!

16. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

An old school friend and I were just starting up a Beatles memorabilia business. On the night of 8th December (UK time). I was at his house as our first advertisement in 'Record Collector' magazine was due in the shops the next day.

We discussed what might make our items sell quicker and joked that if one of The Beatles died, especially John that business would really take off. The next morning I was washing my face when my mother shouted out to me "John Lennon has been shot". It was a couple of hours before I heard it confirmed that he was dead. Of course everything sold and the business went from strength to strength for years to come. We often discussed how creepy it was that we had discussed his death the way we did just 7 or 8 hours before he died.

17. Dr.O'Boogie

I can remember a lot of negative comment about Paul's reaction to the news the next day in the UK.

18. Runt

Runt Senior Member

"Billy Bonds" certainly is legendary around these parts. He also had a slightly "Ron Burgundy, Anchorman" vibe to his career...making some of his broadcasts kinda humorous. Like the time during a newscast, when he challenged Detroit Mayor Coleman Young to a boxing match... :D

19. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

As December 8 is my birthday, I turned 7 years old the day John was killed. I was already into the Beatles and had a bunch of their records as my friends and I got into music at an early age. John was and still is my favorite Beatle.

Later (though not to the same degree obviously), I became a fan of Pantera. Had no idea Razzle's death was also on the 8th.

20. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

I watched that live as it happened. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Anchorman was rumored to be loosely based on Bonds.

21. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

What made it odd, was that "drag" or "what a drag" is not a commonly used English expression. It's more American, so he seemed to be belittling what had happened, with a less than natural nor heartfelt expression. IMHO

22. Gloi

Gloi Forum Resident

It might not be now but if you listen to The Beatles interviews in the 60s they use it a lot.

nikh33 likes this.
  23. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I always took it as more of Paul's flip way of saying, "Well, how the hell do you think I'm gonna respond to such a stupid question!?"

JL6161 likes this.
  24. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

Didn't get used much in my home in the 60's :)

I think it was "hippie" faux americanisation "it's a drag man". Just seems to cheapen the sentiment.

25. Dr.O'Boogie

With hindsight I think I can understand his reaction. At the time though it just seemed so dismissive, especially for somebody as PR conscious as PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.