Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #31)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

The Esoteric SACD's sell for 3100 yen in Japan, or $40 at today's exchange rate. Considering the source is not the rights-holder but a licensee, such a price is definitely steep but not $70 outrageous. I have a cache of them, and for my money they are definitely not better than the Living Stereo SACD's (greatest reissue campaign ever). Soundmirror worked with actual work parts and created new mixes; Esoteric is mastering 24/96 files.

2. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Yup I agree 150%! :righton:
    Back in the day I couldn't afford Yamaha equipment.
    Started out with Techniques then to JVC now Yamaha.
    Now I swear by Yamaha AV Receivers and Sony CD/SACD/DVD/BluRay players.

I've loved my RX-V459 and had it for 5yrs.
    Guy at work has been wanting a receiver for around $100.
    I came into a few bux and was able to sell mine for the $100 I gave for it new 5yrs ago.
    So I get the latest technology with this new 2011 AVENTAGE Line from Yamaha for $444 shipped - $100 = $344!
    While I was able....crazy not to jump on it!

Has On Screen Display and these features.....
    (Few years back these features on a unit woulda cost ya $1200+)

New AVENTAGE RX-A710 key features
    [​IMG]

My Old RX-V459 key features
    [​IMG]

3. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

[​IMG]

I'm sure it will Dale
    This is a spectacular CD!
    The combo of Manze and Podger is amazing.
    They go together like milk and cookies! :)

Here are some notes I have in my database I found about this CD.

"Manze is a violinist with extraordinary flair and improvisatory freedom, the Grappelli of the Baroque...
    [the ensemble has] unparalleled energy, an irresistibly bounding pulse and sparkling articulation from top to bottom."
    - BBC Music Magazine
    "[Manze and Podger] allow the poetry of Bach's music to unfold in a comfortably measured, lucidly punctuated and eloquently inflected way."
    - Gramophone
    "**** ...Here are historically-informed performances at their best. Manze demonstrates fleet virtuosity, sinuous grace and subtle dynamics and phrasing."
    - Los Angeles Times

4. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Cold weather here. Time for Jean Sibelius - and a question: what is your favorite performance of Tchaikovsky's 1st Symphony? :)

Probably some of that is borne out of the disappointment in Sony for going with someone else for mastering these after SoundMirror had worked so hard to such fine results for them on the SACD series and possibly also some resentment at Sony for dropping their SACD format as well. It may be wrong; for my part I'll be sure to hear some first. Even then, even if it's not up to the SACD series but is decent, I doubt I'll be "writing them off" where they offer new content not in the previous series. I'm hoping to pick up the Brahms 4th at least on the holidays.

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

MTT and Boston on DGG.

6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

This was my first recording of this work and it was so good, I haven't bothered with any other.

7. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

Unfortunately I agree. I picked it up after all the glowing reviews and really thought it was a case of 'the emperor's new clothes'. For me, the Bach double concerto is one of the greatest pieces in Western music, and in this performance the slow movement especially comes off as perfunctory. It just reminds me that you have to trust your own ears and heart, and not a critic's recommendations! I wonder if this was another case of British reviewers rooting for the 'home team' as so often happens?

8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Chance for a good arbitrage - buy cheap in down under and sell high on eBay ...

9. coopmv

Most listeners of classical music do not bother with these tone controls ...

10. coopmv

I paid $12.06 for the set last week with free shipping. Frescobaldi's music is not the cup of tea for everyone ...

11. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

12. coopmv

Now listening to the following CD - Songs by the Swedish baroque composer Johan Helmich Roman, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

13. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

I like this one - but this is a Columbia.

If you are referring to the RCA LS CDs - no I am not familiar with them. I do have some of the SACDs that Philipp Nedel (of b-sharp) is listed as the DSD engineer (from the 1st batch I believe)
    All of the first three guys on the left in the b-sharp pic are credited on this one:
    http://www.b-sharp.biz/en/names-faces/

Attached Files:

14. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I like Rameau. Charpentier, too.

15. coopmv

Herreweghe is particularly well suited for works by these French composers ...

16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Sony now owns the Columbia and RCA catalogue, and they are taking the opportunity to put together sets and series from the combined sources.

17. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which arrived 2 days ago for a first listen. So far, the soprano singing is great, accompanied by organ ...

[​IMG]

18. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

yes - but I am not sure that there is a unified approach to the re-issues, if there is - I hope it continues in this vein

19. coopmv

Until the actual releases for Columbia and RCA are made by Sony, we just do not know how they will be organized. The same is true with the UniversalMusic and EMI combination announced recently. That is, will all the Karajan Wagner's operas be offered in one big box? EMI has Flying Dutchman, Meistersinger, etc while DG has his Ring. It should be interesting ...

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Sony/BMG merger finalized in 2004.

21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Mastered by the same team at the same place, so very unified.

22. coopmv

But have you noticed if the merged companies have combined previously separate recordings by the same artists in the same single big boxes? I also wonder what UM will do with those recordings by HvK that were previously recorded by EMI - will the name EMI disappear from the boxes?

23. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Yes, of course, the big Liszt box issued last spring, for starters.

24. coopmv

Lets wait to see what UM will do.

25. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following twofer, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.