Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #31)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

If your question is about assets of former competitors remaining distinct and separate under new corporate consolidation, it's all too predictable. If your question is about the Electric and Music Industries, Ltd. logo sticking around for use on UMG product I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that it will, as Decca's has — branding is valuable and powerful. What will happen to Alain Lanceron's Paris-based Virgin Classics label? It's consistently the best of what remains of the 'majors', IMO.

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Listening to a new discovery:

(where has this composer been hiding?)

Attached Files:

• 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      51.6 KB
      Views:
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD2 from the following twofer, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Compared with the following set by Payne which is in my collection as well, I think this set by Nordenfelt is more effervescent.

[​IMG]

4. coopmv

My question is definitely about if the assets of former competitors will remain distinct. Actually, even within UM, the previous Philips recordings are now released under DECCA since UM has lost the use of the Philips name. Didn't Karl Bohm record exclusively for DG? I have noticed some of his recordings having been released under the DECCA label as well in recent years ...

5. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I checked to see if I had any Myaskovsky and discovered a CD that I haven't even heard yet (sadly, there are quite a few discs that haven't been played yet). It has the Myaskovsky Violin Concerto which was premiered in 1939 by David Oistrakh. The notes say Myaskovsky was a very withdrawn character. Also, "It must have required enormous strength of character to compose a work of such integrity and beauty at the height of Stalin's terror." Like others, he was forced to write some drivel for Stalin and his henchmen.

Vadim Repin, violin; Kirov Orchestra, Marlinsky Theatre, St. Petersburg; Valery Gergiev. Philips 289473343-2. 2002

Repin, Vadim, Kirov Orchestra & Gergiev, Valery - Tchaikovsky - Myaskovsky _ Violin Concertos.jpg

6. Jay F

Jay F New Member

His Ring cycle was on Philips, at least in the USA.

Attached Files:

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Bohm recorded for Philips & Decca as well as DG.i hate to see recordings made for one label reissued under a former competitor's name.if for no other reason,it makes collecting a little harder,and it just doesn't feel right.i suppose the name Philips still being in use by the electronics giant may be a factor in that case.

8. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

did not know that about the current LS CDs (is that the box set?),-anyway, good to know thanks.

I do have a Red Seal in that same Sony Classical 'ORIGINALS' series (clearly identified as such on the side:)-well it is a CD, how original can it look?)-Holst/The Planets-Ormandy PO

Attached Files:

9. coopmv

Now playing the following Cantatas CD from my Johan Helmich Roman collection ...

Attached Files:

10. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following set, which only arrived yesterday for a first listen. These recordings were among the earliest recordings Hogwood made with the AAM ...

[​IMG]

11. coopmv

Placed an order on this twofer 2 days ago but I also expect a good sized order from Presto to arrive any day now ...

[​IMG]

12. coopmv

Russian label? How is the SQ?

13. George P

The sound is very good. Sadly, the set (the CD I posted is part of a three CD set) is OOP and Regis or Alto has yet to reissue it, as they have done with Richter's recordings on Olympia. This is particularly sad, as there are very few complete sets of the sonatas out there.

14. coopmv

Just ordered this DVD - Handel opera Partenope from my favorite Amazon MP vendor this evening ...

[​IMG]

15. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

one of my latest reel arrivals...sounds great! I am loving the tape..

[​IMG]

16. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I went back today and got the Solti M7 and Bernstein M8 on vinyl. I also scored a Karajan Tchaikovsky box (Tulips pressing), Jochum's Bruckner 9th on a DG Tulips pressing, and a few other oddments. Not bad for $20. :)

17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Epic BC 1035.this recording was made for Philips 10/6-14/58 & was
    Van Beinum's next-to-last recording.at the time Philips recordings were
    released here by Epic,a CBS label.i have Van Beinum's 1951 Decca recording
    of the 1st in an Original Masters CD box-set.this stereo recording is
    available in a second box in the series containing Philips recordings.
    Van Beinum died 4/13/59 while rehearsing the 2nd movement of this
    symphony with his orchestra.

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      37.3 KB
      Views:
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

continuing to listen to some cassette tapes i made in the mid-80s when a friend went
    to France & left his record collection with me.some have deteriorated but not this one.
    made,as well as i can recall,with a Technics tape deck from a Technics turntable &
    Audio-Technica cartridge.among other things on this 90-min. BASF tape is the LP
    Igor Stravinsky:piano Music,played by Noel Lee,Nonesuch H-71212.

19. Growl

Growl Member

So it would mean that there's not enough information avalaible to recreate historic sets ? Or not enough research in the field ? Student who pass here, I just gave you a subject for a future thesis :)

I was deceived by this 2011 Don Giovanni because the only one I watched before was the Commendatore scene in Forman's "Amadeus" movie, in which the sets are beautiful and full of details - a table, candles, exploding wall, mirroring, even exaggerating the intensity of the music ! It has the feel of theater, I didn't get the same feeling of "wow, what a scene !" in Barenboim's broadcast. It didn't feel like a scene at all, like, it's not a show, it's not entertainment. It feels dead, it feels first like ancient culture recreated for the needs of a modern audience that doesn't want to let go, not like music, like opera, like an art alive ! In fact, I guess it would just seems more relevant and fresh if it would be made like yestercentury, and not trying to incorporate today's experience to justify the piece still has something to say. I believe Mozart's masterpiece, as any other, stands by itself. There's no need for new readings/re-creations ; anyone can enjoy it on first level (music, drama, emotion) and then think about it further by themselves.

20. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

And Horowitz and Leonhardt.

21. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I wonder how it compares with the SACD.

22. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing.

Now playing:
    • Josef Hofmann - Casimir Hall Recital [International Piano Archives 1976 2LP, Produced by Gregor Benko, Remastering by Ward Marston, Recorded at The Curtis Institute of Music, April 7, 1938 — this legendary recital was reissued on CD in 1998 on Marston's own label]
      -Beethoven: Piano Sonata in C major, Op. 53 'Waldstein'
      -Schumann: Kreisleriana, Op. 16
      -Chopin: Polonaise, Op. 26 No. 2
      -Chopin: Nocturne, Op. 9 No. 3
      -Chopin: Waltz, Op. 18
      -Chopin: Ballade No. 4 Op. 52
      -Chopin-Hofmann: Waltz Op. 64 No. 2 - the 'Minute' Waltz in thirds!
      -Schubert-Godowsky: Moment Musical, Op. 94 No. 3
      -Stojowski: Caprice Orientale, Op. 10 No. 2
      -Hofmann: Kaleidoskop, Op. 40 No. 4
      -Hofmann: Penguine
    [​IMG]

23. Peter Walker

Peter Walker New Member

On my system the tape hiss is almost gone from the SACD but the upper treble is slightly dulled. Still, the performance shines through.

24. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Stokowski and the Philadelphia Orchestra's 1933 recording of Shostakovich's first symphony. Produced and transferred by Mark Obert-Thorn.

25. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Only time I use "Pure Direct" is on Mono recordings sometimes.
    If it's not the best recording it helps a lot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.