Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #31)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesfan

bluesfan Forum Resident

2. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

WOW we are heading for thread 32!
    These threads fly right along before ya know it.

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Today only!!

Friedman's String Quartets: Free Download (lossless and lossy available)

http://chiarastringquartet.bandcamp.com/album/jefferson-friedman-quartets

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Mahler 2 by Klemperer, Bayerischen Rundfunk. A later-in-life favorite of mine, courtesy of our friend Bronth.

Attached Files:

5. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

One of my favorite Resurrections also. :agree:

6. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Actually, at different points in my life I used to read some magazines, books and sites, mostly about rock music, mostly for band interviews and album/concert reviews (and I used to write them too for local newspapers and sites). As for the classical music resources, I started to dig the web about 4-5 years ago, mostly for CD reviews and some reference-type knowledge which could educate me and help to build more advanced CD collection.

Despite I usually tend to stay away from some purely subjective, "yellowish" speculation on personal life of composers/performers, as well as overly witty-gritty style of CD reviewing (I usually prefer more objective/informative style of writing in this field), finally I decided to pull the trigger and add some books to my overall music perception (since I have always been an avid reader and until recently strongly preferred paper books to web reading). Time will tell if it works or not.

7. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Glenn Cortese: an interesting 6th, for a 9th or 10th listen.

Attached Files:

9. Regarding Gustav Mahler Symphony No. 6. I would advise to also listen to the following LPs: DG 2707 106 - Herbert Von Karajan - Berlin Philharmonic (1978) and RCA Victor ARL2-3213 - James Levine - London Symphony Orchestra (1979). I am still trying to purchase a vintage Mahler Symphony No. 6 by L. Bernstein on Columbia. Cheers,
    Long Play Fan San Diego, CA. USA

10. George P

Found this great sketch of Beethoven in the liner notes to the new set of Beethoven symphonies by Chially:

Attached Files:

11. George P

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Barbirolli's fiery reading of the 6th is the one that I enjoy the most.

12. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

That is a neat sketch. Also have the Chailly Beethoven set coming in several days. :cool:

13. George P

I have some bad news to share about that set. I had read a lot about how great the sound was and when I got my copy, I thought much of it sounded awfully loud. Sure enough, I ran some tracks through Audacity and it appears they compressed the sound quite a bit throughout the set. Here's the finale to the 5th symphony:

[​IMG]

For comparison, here's the same movement from Barenboim's set, recorded 11 years ago:

[​IMG]

14. dale 88

Sorry to hear that.

Will someone take Decca's compression machine away from their producers?? Please

15. dale 88

I am liking this period instrument Virgin Veritas release from 2001. With two cellos. The Quintet in C was a delight. The period instruments may not be to everyone's liking from Fabio Biondi's group.

Europa Galante. Boccherini String Quintets. Virgin Veritas, 2001.

BoccheriniEuropaGalante.jpg

Fabio (3).jpg

16. George P

Biondi is awesome! I'll buy anything by him, along with Carmigniola. These guys have dusted off the old Baroque music and brought them back to life, with electric, moving performances.

17. dale 88

You are right. It is not wearing well. I keep hearing a lack of precision, possible bad intonation in places and probably a need for more rehearsals. Manze and Podger shouldn't have released this performance in my opinion.

18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Deutsche Grammophon LPM 18679.i wasn't able to determine when this was
    recorded,but i assume it was also issued in stereo.the mono sound is decent
    & the performances fine,but my copy has lots of surface noise.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      36.5 KB
      Views:
  19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Thanks for the recommendations. I have all of those on CD (and had the HvK on LP). You probably know this already, but just in case, it's good to avoid the gray label with orange lettering when you're shopping for Bernstein's Mahler on Columbia LP. I have had numerous versions, and they all had tons of surface noise, even ones that looked as if they had never been played.

HvK's LP version was exquisite, though. All of his Mahler LPs sounded great. The original CDs, too.

I just took a look for a good Bernstein LP of the M6 on both amazon and eBay: nothing.

20. George P

:laugh:

21. George P

Indeed. :sigh:

22. George P

23. George P

I am starting the new issue of this thread and will include a blurb about this in the first post. :wave:

24. George P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.