Audio Fidelity new 24 Kt Gold CD of "Crosby, Stills & Nash" Review: Veil Removed!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, my apologies. I didn't see where Steve said that Classic Records also used the mixdown masters. Still, this new CD is the Bomb!

2. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Something just crossed my mind. Would an EQ dub or copy have splices or be a continuous piece of tape? Did the tape you used have splices?

This one has the bit of chatter replaced to match the original album (something like that). I am not sure where it is on the album and how they differ. Do you have an earlier CD for this album to compare?

3. Grant

It would not have any splices, or normally wouldn't have splices.

Steve says Atlantic didn't have the mixdown masters until a few years ago, which means the tapes Barry used were most likely the EQ'ed master copies Atlantic gave him to use. They were most likely the same tapes Joe Gastwirt used as well.

This new CD sounds so open and clear! It's like listening to a remix it's so good. For the first time I am hearing the sheer power of this music.

Is it me, or do the vocals seem to be more prominent in the right channel?

4. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Who's standing on the right? Maybe he is singing louder. :D I am really going to pay attention to the vocals when I get this. When I saw CSN in concert a few years ago, Crosby and, especially, Nash put a lot of effort into their singing. This is the thing I remember most. I am looking for a nice "round" vocal sound. I want them in the room with me.

5. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

Mine is on the way....a Christmas present to myself as well. It will be the first time I've ever heard the entire album.

6. Grant

And, you will get a presence i've never heard before!

I just compared a couple of the tracks to the ones on the CSN box, and they are close in quality, except that the AF has more depth and presence. I think Atlantic also used the absolute masters on that box too.

But, then, I also compared tracks on the AF with their counterparts on the recent Greatest Hits CD, and the GH CD is awful! Well, maybe not awful, but it ain't nothin' to write home about!

7. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

What does a factory shrink wrap on AF product look like these days? I received my CSN today from Amazon and it has the look of a reseal.

8. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Some thoughts of mine:

Its not an audiophile recording - but Steves work with the master gets it sounding closer to that term than almost anything else I've heard and definitely so in the CD realm.

Its similar in tone, balance and imaging to the Classic vinyl 33 & 45's. Audio wise its very close. On the system I compared them on the Classic vinyl had a little bit more extension and fullness. Listening to either alone you'd never know it. Only when A/B'ing them back to back. Its that good.

Its also a little different in its presentation than most of the early vinyl. The vocals are a bit more up front or prominent. Crosby's superb harmony arrangements really stand out - one of the albums high points. Like sipping a warm amaretto in front of a fireplace on a cold winter night. The instruments have a little more feeling of separation.

My favorite vinyl is the 1970's Atlantic -F lacquer George Piros mastering. This has some compression to it and the vocals are seated more 'within' and at the level of the instruments. Cranked up I prefer this balance, its more ballsy & rock, like you'd hear in concert. So my favorite vinyl is different, not better or worse.

Incidentally, this 'veil' thing.... neither the new CD or the different vinyl we played struck me as having any sort of veil, either lifted or present. They all seemed to have about the same level of detail and 'presence'.

What an album! :goodie:

9. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

#431. Sounds superb. SJBE is clear and stunning.

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Mine will be here Friday. I'm glad to hear that it compares to the Classic Records 200g pressing. That has been my go to copy for several years.

11. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Darcy,

Despite what many audiophiles believe, most of the time, especially with pop music, a flat transfer is NOT the best way to go. Of course, there are exceptions but these are few and far between (e.g. the original CD of Enya's "Watermark" because the mixes sounded great as they were).

It is difficult to remember all the details of something I did several decades ago. However, those instances where I got a master tend to stand out in my mind.

Splices and leader between tracks suggests original mixes to me. There was a certain appearance to EQ'd tapes in those days - each source studio with its own label and of course, copies wouldn't generally have splices or leader.

That said, while I distinctly recall 1/2" tapes, I'm not as positive about the splices. It certainly sounded a generation or two ahead of what I heard on the vinyl at the time.

Another mystery. Wrapped in a riddle. Encased in an enigma.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

12. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Mine arrived yesterday appearing as if the USPS rode over it in a delivery truck.

13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The Atlantic Gold Cd from 1993 was packaged in a 'tape box', with master tape pictured on rear. What tape was used for this edition?

Attached Files:

14. Grant

Remember that all kinds of tape can and were marked "master".

15. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

What's the consensus on that 1993 gold disc anyway? I never thought it sounded that bad...

16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

Thanks, Grant. I know many thought I was exagerrating.

17. Grant

By the "veil" being removed, I mean that the vocals and guitars are clear and upfront, not buried or muddy. Even more than the vocals, the guitars now sound distinct. I can hear the strings being strummed and plucked now.

18. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I ordered this today, but I like my original that Barry mastered. I haven't listened to it for a while though. Has anyone listened to the AF Gold whose "go to" had been the original? Impressions?

I'm hoping this one sounds as good as the AF Gold The Band. Killer.

19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

Just buy the new AF release!

20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

And let this be a cautionary tale to those who procrastinated their purchase of the Band disc ;)

21. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

# 2371 arrived today, aloing with #2141 of "Heart Greatest Hits"...yahoo!
    Fatty city tonite and see how these baby's sound :)

22. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Consensus? Good luck. Each version of this album seems to have its fans, including the gold disc.

23. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Perplexing to me too. Mine was ordered from Amazon on Oct. 27 and I'm still waiting. Says it is expected to be delivered next week sometime.

24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Alright!

25. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Oh boy, you are going to be cranking Heart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.