Audio Fidelity new 24 Kt Gold CD of "Crosby, Stills & Nash" Review: Veil Removed!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

The same tape box was present at Marsh Mastering when the AF release was mastered by Steve. The other box that was there (for the first reel) is pictured inside the Atlantic Gold CD pamphlet.

To me, the AF has more "presence" than the other compact disc mastering of CS&N. At the same time any "brightness" on the master tape was handled so that the songs sound more alike in tone. If you like a more "modern" mastering presentation, the '94 Atlantic Gold mastering might be more to your liking. If you want more of a "flat" transfer sound, Barry's mastering will give you more of that. Personally, I prefer the AF CD to the other digital masterings (it's warm and detailed), with the Atlantic double -F Monarch pressed LP probably my overall fave, followed by either Classic LP.

2. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Heads up to anyone who ordered months ago from Amazon (like I did) and is still waiting (like I am)...

Contact customer service. I just did and was told that my order was inexplicably being held up. After a bout a half-an-hour in the chat app with the customer service rep, she had me order another copy and she then applied a $3 promo credit for the price difference from when I initially ordered, gave me free overnight shipping and canceled my old/initial order.

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Thanks for the info in regards to the tape box.

I have all 3 digital versions you mention.

Just now giving the AF a first listen.

Not sure what vinyl pressing I have but its an early press.

Did notice that the AF gets the artwork right. Same texture and matte tone as my LP.

4. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

You may want to get in touch with Amazon directly. I did last night - turned out they had no idea what was going on with my disc... they said it had entered the processing queue and then stalled there. They couldn't figure out any way to speed up the processing or rectify the situation directly, and advised I cancel the existing order and re-order it.

I'm now expecting to receive mine this weekend.

EDIT: Ah... Good... you did exactly that.

5. nightenrock

I'd like to thank everyone for their shipping updates, as they alerted me to something being off with my Amazon order. The sonics usually don't get worse than not hearing a disc at all.

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I should get mine today.

7. montejay

montejay Forum Resident

:realmad:I ordered on Nov2 from Importcd and was told December 13th
    Its the 15th and still not shipped

8. dr.zoix

dr.zoix Forum Resident

Ordered 2 days ago, arrived today. So far so gooooood

Didn't know about the limited edition, I got # 2878

9. montejay

montejay Forum Resident

Who did you order from?

10. whatnow?

whatnow? Forum Resident

Mine came in from Amazon today but the CD was packaged poorly; the case was cracked and the plastic tray's teeth were broken, allowing the disc to roll around in its case scratching it. While other vendors charge more, at least their packaging methods tend to be more professional. It seems like Amazon has little regard for safely packaging delicate items. I'm returning the disc for a new one. Hopefully it is better packaged.

11. nightenrock

Every newer AF disc I've ever purchased has had broken teeth. They, or their supplier, uses a cheap hub.

12. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

If there's only 5,000 being pressed, it's looking like they are literally flying off the shelves looking at those #'s.

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Possibly so.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

And for every one of you, there's one like me, who hasn't had a single broken tooth in any of the AF purchases going back 4 years.
    Luck of the draw.

15. dr.zoix

dr.zoix Forum Resident

Amazon

16. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Mine is #536, and it arrived from Amazon with a smashed case as well. CD was OK, though. Only 5000 to be pressed, eh? Sounds like an investment opportunity.

17. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I contacted Amazon regarding the broken spindle on mine.I told them I wasn't sending the cd back because it was fine.I thought I'd get a couple bucks credit or something.They got back to me and told me theyre gonna send me a brand spanking new........

CD case!:righton: They also told me to hang on to all artwork and inserts.Duh!
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I ordered from Amazon and got my copy yesterday.

19. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

A record label has to look at how many copies they think they can sell, and make the licencee happy. The label still has to make a profit and not get stuck holding a lot of copies that won't sell.

21. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

In this case I guess they under estimated the number of copies that would sell.

22. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Mine came from Amazon in a cardboard sleeve wrapped tightly with plastic wrap and then inside a larger box with air pillow. Packaging was quite reasonable.

23. whatnow?

whatnow? Forum Resident

Interesting. I wonder if yours was shipped from a different warehouse, or prepared by a different person. Mine was packaged in an oversized bubble mailer with no other protection.

I've had CDs mailed to me packaged as you described from Amazon. I guess they are not very consistent in their packaging.

24. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Same here but everything is ok, no busted teeth or broken jaw. :cheers:

25. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Funny you should say that. I received my copy today & gave it a full uninterrupted listen from beginning to end. Even after only one listen, I can say that the new AF CSN disc is one of my very favorite AF discs, & "The Band" is another that always comes to mind. In fact, these are probably my two favorite AF discs so far, & I buy every title that interests me (I probably have about 30 or so). I am not terribly impressed by all recent AF discs, but "The Band" & "Crosby Stills & Nash" are unquestionably at the top of the heap.

Having said that, I have never had a problem with the original Atlantic CD mastered by Barry Diament ....... not the slightest. But until I do a direct A/B comparison between the two, I cannot say just how much (if at all) I prefer the new AF disc to the old Atlantic CD mastered by Barry.

On it's own, the AF disc has excellent bass extension, as many other posters have mentioned. The drums & percussion in particular stood out to me as having excellent clarity & realism to the sound. Very nice soundstage as well. Throughout the entire disc, absolutely nothing stood out to me as sounding "not right". This disc will get a lot of play in my system, & I look forward to ABing the new AF disc to the original Atlantic at some point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.