Audio Fidelity new 24 Kt Gold CD of "Crosby, Stills & Nash" Review: Veil Removed!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Heres a packaging story from Amazon--I had the CSN AF cd on order ever since it went up on preorder. Last week a friend of mine needed a vacuum cleaner and because I have "prime" two day service I ordered it for her---shipment arrives Tuesday night---I look for two packages--nope--they stuck the CSN cd inside the large outer box containing the vacuum with NO packaging around the cd--yet--no damage---whew.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

They have already acknowledged that.

3. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Hi Barry. When I read about a flat transfer, I wonder if there isn't even one little EQ push, "mastering move," or any small detail anywhere on the album that could be fixed (and leave the rest "flat" if it sounds good).

Thanks for the info. If it is flat we will know how the master sounds. If it is an EQ dub, we have the sound the band/producer wanted for their LP (I guess this was made with the characteristics of vinly in mind). Obviously, you liked the sound enough to leave it flat.

I look forward to hearing "Crosby, Stils & Nash" again. I sold my copy when I realized I wasn't listening to the album anymore. I am enjoying "CSN" (sailboat cover), and some of the members' offshoot groups more than their first two albums (neither the s/t nor "Deja vu" would be in my top 5). Maybe hearing the s/t again will send it to Number 1 with a bullet.

4. whatnow?

whatnow? Forum Resident

Holy moly! :shake:

Glad to hear it didn't get crushed by the vacuum cleaner!

5. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

I posted this in another thread, but I ordered an OPPO BDP-93 from Amazon and I was excited when a big package arrived only to find they screwed up at the warehouse and send a Brother Electric Sewing Machine by mistake.

6. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Since we're talking about shipping frustrations...
    Ordered from Importcds, shipped DHL\USPS.
    Sat at DHL in Carson, CA from 12/09 to 12/14 WTF?

7. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

My CD arrived from Amazon the other day. I was very impressed with the way it was boxed and protected. It was the 1st time I'd seen a CD it protected that well.

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Got my copy from Amazon and just gave it a spin. Excellent! I haven't compared it to my other copies yet, but the gold disc sounds very good.

9. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I got mine from DeepDiscount and mine was in Carson from the 9th till just this morning. It's in Salt Lake now, about 3 miles away and hope I get it before 5 more days. That's how long my last cd sat here in town, after the delay in Carson.

If they'd sent it by horseback it'd gotten to my house quicker.

10. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Listened to mine last night. All I can say is WOW! I have been listening to this album since it first came out, and thought I knew every squeak in it. The clarity is amazing. Hearing new things in the music that I never knew existed. Thanks Steve!

11. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Darcy,

This will vary from album to album. It is a very rare pop mix that can not benefit from some help in the mastering room. But there are exceptions.

Every case is different. With most pop, every song is different and quite often, every part of every song is different.

There are also recordings (the minority to be sure) that need absolutely no help whatsoever and simply need to be mastered for the target format.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

That's the "veil" being removed. :laugh:

13. I ordered my CD from Amazon on Tuesday (standard drlivery) and it arrived yesterday. My disc's number is 1776, very patriotic.

14. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

I got my copy from Amazon (arrived in only a single bubble-wrap envelope and as a result the hub on the plastic tray arrived broken...seems to happen each and every time I order one of these) yesterday and gave it a first spin. Sounds very nice...I will still need to compare it to the one and only other version that I've got.

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yes indeed! It's almost like a remix. The guitars are so clear and defined, and you can practically hear the singers singing into the mics on one song.

16. montejay

montejay Forum Resident

Importcd has changed my delivery date twice (last time to the 13th)and hasn't shipped as of now.
    When did you order yours? I ordered mine Nov2nd
    I'm thinking I may never see it.

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Weird, I ordered the CD on Amazon yesterday and it got shipped today. And I'm in France.

18. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. The new AF disc is wonderful. I was worried about the veil removed comments hoping it was not too bright, but the disc sounds about perfect to me.

19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I got my CSN gold CD from Amazon, too. My first copy arrived and the non-playing side of the gold CD was covered in these weird "wrinkles" ... very odd. So I had 'em replace it and the replacement also had some "wrinkles" on the label side, but nowhere near the craziness of the first CD. My discs' numbers were in the 1800s ... anyone else seeing these strange manufacturing "wrinkles"? Haven't played it yet -- the playing side is clean -- but I don't like what this looks like and hope the disc doesn't eventually oxidize. I can't seem to scan or photograph the disc ...

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Clearly it's possessed. :laugh:

21. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I listened to my copy last night and was mightily impressed. I've never owned a copy of this album, ever, before. I heard the vinyl about a billion times...I had a cassette copy. The CD just transports me. If I close my eyes, I can well imagine I'm in 1971 listening to the nicest stereo possible back then. I'm on that Marrakesh Express. The CD sounds so-ooooo annie-logue. :thumbsup:

Speakers are better now than 1970...but damn...this Cee-Dee sounds of of time, out of body good.

22. whatnow?

whatnow? Forum Resident

I had that same issue with another Audio Fidelity disc. A manufacturing flaw, I suppose. It plays without problems so I never returned it.

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Indeed. All aboard.

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Be sure to hide the roaches.

25. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

"....all aboard the train....it's taking me to Marrakesh..." This night train goes expressly to yo' head... :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.