Ridley Scott's Prometheus (2012) - Alien prequel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Solaris, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight Thread Starter

Can't believe there's not a thread on this already, but after three days of trailers for the trailer, the actual trailer is out today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUdu-JNYK8o

Looks pretty good from here. From the hints they've dropped up to this point and the visual cues in the film, it's easy to make some guesses as to how this ties into the original Alien. Very much looking forward to this one!

2. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Me too. Looks very good. Seeing Alien opening night in 1979 was one of the scariest movie going nights of my life...

3. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Oh YEAH! Looks great. (Hope it actually is.)

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Looks like more of the same to me, just faster jump-cuts.

Of course, the movie itself could go through a lot of changes in the 1/2 year before release..

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Looks promising to me.

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I agree that it looks like more of the same. But it looks to me like more of the best of the same, and may turn out to be even better than that or different from that in a good way. I'm looking forward to more Ridley Scott Alien . . . .

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sounds like the name of a lead singer of a heavy metal band.

8. Wicked. Wonder if I'll piss my pants like I did back in '79...was only 14.:sigh:

9. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

It does look more of the same, but this looks a lot more interesting to me than the Hobbit trailer which looks even more like the same than this..

10. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Ok I have watched this 3 times already, and I think that this will be the movie to get me back in the theatre..

11. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

It looks like the ship that Ripley and the others came across in the first movie had just landed in this movie. But in Alien the alien on the couch with his chest torn open was fossilized.

But then I don't understand how a little girl could have survived in a air shaft for how long the rescue crew took to get to the planet in Aliens (they were in suspended animation for the trip).

I'll probably see and it has to be better than the third one, doesn't it?

Chad

12. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Well....Ridley Scott can no longer be coy whether or not this film has any connection to Alien. Based on what we see in this trailer, could Prometheus possibly be a sequel?

13. benjaminhuf

For a director I like a lot, I've really missed a lot of his films. I've been catching up on blu-ray the last several months....

I still have not seen Legend, Someone to Watch, Black Rain, 1492, White Squall, G.I. Jane, Hannibal, Matchstick Men, A Good Year, and American Gangster...

I recently saw Body of Lies. Not my favorite, but still a gritty and interesting take on conflict in the middle east in the last decade....Kind of like a contemporary sequel to Kingdom of Heaven, which I think is a much better film--at least in the director's cut.

1977 The Duellists Par.
    1979 Alien Fox
    1982 Blade Runner WB
    1985 Legend Uni.
    1987 Someone to Watch Over Me Col.
    1989 Black Rain Par.
    1991 Thelma & Louise MGM
    1992 1492: Conquest of Paradise
    1996 White Squall BV
    1997 G.I. Jane BV
    2000 Gladiator DW
    2001 Hannibal MGM
    2001 Black Hawk Down Sony
    2003 Matchstick Men WB
    2005 Kingdom of Heaven Fox
    2006 A Good Year Fox
    2007 American Gangster Uni.
    2008 Body of Lies WB
    2010 Robin Hood Uni.
    2012 Prometheus Fox

14. benjaminhuf

It's a prequel. The events happen before and help to set up what happened in Alien. What's interesting is that they asked him to do this in the early 80s and he said no. I admire that this is his only film that clearly connects to any of his others....

15. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Ridley said in an interview he does not acknowledge the sequels (although in my mind it is hard to ignore Aliens {another classic}).

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It looks lousy to me. I like the gritty realism of Alien, this looks Star Trek. Of course, that could just be the trailer editors choice of showing nothing but people getting blown into the air. The photography looks really commonplace-action movie. None of that moody look of the original alien. I don't think its a prequel. Those arent humans, they're aliens or future humans. The log line on IMDB reads: A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe.

17. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I don't see how a prequel would involve any humans, when "Alien" was a first-contact story, but Hollywood's quest for bucks will often sacrifice an original timeline. Artistic integrity? That's the small print in the center of the producer's dart board.

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Funny how David Fincher has gone from goat to hero.

19. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight Thread Starter

I thought one of the sequels explained that the Company knew the Nostromo would pick up the distress call from the original planet, so that's been altered already. Or did I just make that up?

Whatever the case, this has to be better than the John Carter movie. The trailer makes that just look like dreck.

20. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I liked Zodiac.

Chad

21. I've seen them all-the good, the bad and the ugly. He's. Very talented director who works vest when there's a strong script in place.

22. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Check out the cast:

Noomi Rapace
    Michael Fassbender
    Guy Pearce
    Idris Elba
    ... and Charlize Theron

23. I think everyone now realizes how Fincher was saddled with a script that hadn't quite been finished and had Fox riding his rear end.

As far as the film Prometheus is concerned I'm glad it doesn't look exactly like "Alien". I think Scott has tried to go in a very different direction here to his credit in terms of the look of the film.

According to Scott it shares some DNA with Alien and he stated at comic con that there were questions he raised in Alien that were never answered and he thought that Lindeloff's script revisited certain elements without making it a direct prequel or sequel exactly.

So it's set in the same universe as Alien.

Scott has admitted over the years that he admired Aliens but I don't think he's cared for anything after that.

24. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Maybe they'll run into the Space Jockey...

25. Dark_Globe

Dark_Globe New Member

It's not a direct prequel to Alien, but it is a prequel.

There might be a possible explanation for this in the film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.