Audio Fidelity new 24 Kt Gold CD of "Crosby, Stills & Nash" Review: Veil Removed!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonnysin168

sonnysin168 Forum Resident

Ordered 22 October, complained to amazon 2nd week of December that some SHF members got theirs when mine (amazon prime) doesn't ship yet, amazon shipped after complaining but never went beyond the UPS tracking status "A shipping label was created...", complained to amazon again and lo and behold, got to my NY forwarder within 2 days.

Got this today finally. Listened once. It's very good. The vocals are clear, smooth and distinct. The instruments are natural sounding, though I felt that in some tracks, the bass is a bit louder. I previously only have the Rhino HDCD greatest hits compilation. I suspect similar tracks in the Rhino compilation received a treble boost and was mastered louder.

I wish Steve will do Deja Vu next time.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

:laugh:

3. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

This sounds absolutely stunning.

Acoustic guitars and cymbals are what I'm noticing the most. And I can't believe how much the bass has tightened up in "Long Time Gone"!

4. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

In my experience, hedge fund managers make the best rock lyricists.

Oh well, at least the music is good, right?

5. montejay

montejay Forum Resident

I trust they are more reputable the IMPORTCD :sigh:. I warn all who may use them.

I related my poor experience here regarding the CSN CD

http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=180697&highlight=importcd

6. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

I nominate this as best comeback/quip of the year for the SH forum. Can we have a nomination category?? Beautiful work Celtic1....

7. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

They probably have more accumulated wealth than the average corporate executive or banker - if that makes any difference... :winkgrin:

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Probably not, because Young was just a "guest' (musically), and Neil Young does not want to recognise anything he was just a "part of". Enjoy the best pressings of CSN&Y, that is probably all you will ever get. - P.S., where is that Stills box set?...

9. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

My comment wasn't meant seriously, but now you mention it, they're quite good comparisons: similar levels of smugness about their superiority to 'ordinary people'.

10. afriqueart

afriqueart Forum Resident

OMG! It's like I've never heard this album before. Beautiful work, Steve. Pure Brilliance! Thank you.

11. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

I wonder who would be more insulted by that comparison - hippies or corporate execs? :D

And just so we are not completely off topic here - Steve Hoffman and Stephen Marsh have done a great job in mastering with this collection of songs, which in their rawest form are really just a 43 year old bunch of spliced together tape fragments, and they made it look easy. In fact, at one point Steve said "We make it look easy, but it's really not." So, long story short - Steve and Stephen worked their special brand of magic here - happy holidays!

Oh, the sound? I have every domestic version of this recording, (with the exception of the Classic 45RPM), and this version is right at the top. Smooth and detailed at the same time. As breathtaking as the harmonies on this recording have always been to me, when I heard this latest version of Helplessly Hoping, well... let's just say I was looking for the oxygen mask. All other things being equal - system quality, listening room, etc. - for most people it would most likely come down to this AF CD and their best vinyl version. But I would still really love to get my hands on the Classic 45!

12. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

do you get the full artwork on the inside and can put the booklet in once you open it?

13. sonnysin168

sonnysin168 Forum Resident

Yes, it fits in.

14. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

???
    On the inside of what?

If you mean: can you put the booklet into the case? The answer is: Yes.

15. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Guess what my beautiful wife got me for Christmas?

Gonna have to steal some time today for a listen.

16. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

Got this today. Sounds awesome. No need for my 45rpm needledrop anymore.

17. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Got this on Friday and its been on heavy rotation since. Always liked the old WG disk I had but this is different class. Wasn't immediately apparent to me on the first track, but over the course of the album it reveals its beauty - and as others have mentioned Helplessly Hoping is the showstopper.
    One of the best from AF this year!

18. kings81

kings81 Forum Resident

Forgive me if this is a strange question. On the last track, 49 bye byes at about the 1:30 mark after they sing "now it's over they left in the spring" I hear a strange noise, like a weird click or something. Anyone else hear this?

19. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

There were 1 or 2 sharp sounds I remember... Drew them out of the waveform in Soundforge after ripping them to my PC. That might've been one of 'em.

20. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

The hippies are not gonna care--they're too mellow.

The alpha-male execs, on the other hand...

I'm still waiting for mine to make it all the way across the Atlantic... :sigh:

21. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

Sure........

22. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

Got my copy Dec 24, so it was an early Christmas present to myself. This is my first Audio Fidelity CD. This one sounds awesome, just like I remember when I first purchased this album in 1969.

23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

Actually, it sounds much better than the original LP. :righton:

24. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

No doubt about that, but it brought back the memories of the first time I heard this album in 1969.

25. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

...me too...when CD versions sound so poorly compared to the original, sacred vinyl... :laugh: ..it ruins the remembrance of old times that can accompany listening to revered albums for me. My brain gets sidetracked by the offending sonic sensations when the music ain't right as rain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.