Magic Eraser as a stylus cleaner?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bryan, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr. Thread Starter

I'm speaking of this product, for those of you unfamiliar with it:

[​IMG]

Supposedly a small, dry square of it can be used as stylus cleaner. I read that you should gently lower and raise the stylus into it using the cueing lever.

Anyone have any experience with this? Good idea? Bad idea?

2. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I'd probably stick with a dedicated stylus cleaner. You can get one fairly cheap- at least "cheap" in audio terms. I thought the Magic Eraser has some chemicals on it which would lead me to stay away. It did a great cleaning job on an old aluminum reel for my reel to reel tape deck though!

3. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

The one pictured has no chemicals. Some other varieties do. I have used the original Magic Eraser as a stylus cleaner for a year now and it does a great job.

There is a very long thread on the subject over at AK.

4. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I've used this product for years with good results. One box will last you a lifetime!

5. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

Suppose those Magic Eraser fibers land on your vinyl record after you stroked your stylus and you then dust the album with a brush. That can't be good. I use the brush that came with my DV cartridge very carefully and:shh: if I'm intoxicated, I just play the record.

vinyl13 and Machiventa like this.
  6. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

First, there are no fibers. ME looks like a fine sponge. Second, you do not scrub or rub the stylus. Rather, you simply lower the stylus onto the ME several times. I've never noticed any residue that would give me pause. In the worst case, you give the stylus a quick pass with a traditional brush after the ME treatment.

Intoxication and lp playback do not go together. Heartbreak is sure to follow.

muletrane, John Bliss and Thurenity like this.
  7. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr. Thread Starter

Okay I am going to try this some time this weekend. I think I already have a clean, unused Magic Eraser at home.

8. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

I'll betcha that some will drag that ME across the stylus and it's gonna leave residue (fibers) somewhere. I'd just be careful. I forgot to mention that I use a Zerodust dip.
    Music can be intoxicating.

9. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

No fibers. When it breaks up, you get dust.

Google should show .. http://home.howstuffworks.com/magic-eraser1.htm

Yeah. The key with stylus cleaning is that the bubbles are actually smaller than the tip, and when lowered the tip 'breaks and scrapes' on the structure.

RubenH, John Bliss and Jerod like this.
  10. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

by Jessika Toothman? The dealer I bought a tt and cartridge from three years ago suggested the ME and instructed me to drag it from back to front . He gave me a 1/4" x 1" strip to go with my purchase. I tossed it.

11. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I use a Magic Eraser before every spin; I just use a small strip trimmed off of the big sponge. Remember to set the stylus onto it, don't pull. It works great, no muss, no fuss.

John Bliss likes this.
  12. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident

Yeah, definitely don't want to drag the ME across the stylus. The ME would rip the stylus right off the cantilever, the best thing is to slowly and steadily drop the stylus straight down into the ME and lift it straight up again, do this a few times and you're stylus will be nice and clean. I've done this for a year or so now without any issues.

John Bliss likes this.
  13. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Good idea. Being under the influence and messing with an expensive cart don't mix well.

If you're really loaded, just play cds.

John Bliss likes this.
  14. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

Yup.

I made the mistake of applying the ME to the stylus manually and then (lightly) dragging it across. Totally wrecked the stylus.

Since then, I've dropped the stylus straight down into the ME and had much much better results.

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I now use ME. The only thing I ever had that worked better was this small round plastic container that held some audiophile goo that you dipped the stylus into. You could see the dirt from the stylus from each dip held suspended in the goo. Can't remember the name of it, but it worked great. Only I lost the damn thing and didn't want to shell out high twenty-something bucks again.

Oh, here it is.

http://www.extremephono.com/Stylus_Cleaner.htm

This stuff works.

16. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I've tried this and tried this, with no noticeable improvement. Maybe it works better on other styli, but the Lyra Stylus Cleaner smokes the Eraser, no contest.

17. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

It's stronger than glass but extremely porous. It also wears away.

It's Melamine Foam. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

John Bliss likes this.
  18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I 've been using ME for years now with absolutely no problems.

19. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

"The open cell foam is microporous and its polymeric substance is very hard, so that when used for cleaning it works like extremely fine sandpaper, getting into tiny grooves and pits in the object being cleaned. On a larger scale the material feels soft. Because the bubbles interconnect, its structure is more like a maze of fiberglass strands"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam

No thanks. That sh^t can get in the grooves and belongs nowhere near my records.

20. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I've been using ME for over 2 years - no issues. Gently dip stylus in a few times.

John Bliss likes this.
  21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Wasn't Linn that supplied a very fine sandpaper for cleaning the stylus? It was green IIRC. Essentially the same thing as the ME.

John Bliss likes this.
  22. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Linn supplied Melamine Foam? I don't think so. Do you know what the Magic Eraser is? AKA "Basotect". A "fine sandpaper" isn't porous.

23. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That's a great illustration. The stylus is much larger than the spaces in that structure by comparison. I have used and recommended the Magic Eraser for years and supplied free sections to my customers. It's absolutely the best product that I have ever used for cleaning a stylus. I have many different products that have come and gone before it. One that might be a second best is an old Ortofon ultrasonic cleaner. It takes a while to use, requires batteries, and I don't think it would work as efficiently if as well.

Dipping the stylus in a block of it is for sissies! ;) Seriously, that might work for essentially already clean styli or after many, many repeated dips but it isn't efficient. What I recommend is that you cut off a thin strip of it and use that to very carefully scrape the stylus profile from the back to the front (the same direction the stylus drags through the groove) and you will find that it gets the stylus cleaner, faster, than any other method or product. It also does so with no residue. You do the cleaning with the tonearm on the arm rest and then blow any dust away from the record. No chance of getting anything on the Lp that way.

I have compared the results of several cleaners and methods before and after under my stereo microscope. The results are clear.
    -Bill

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  24. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I've got some Linn sandpaper for stylus cleaning -- yes, it's green, and yes, it works and doesn't damage the stylus. It's meant to be gently dragged across the stylus back to front.

The Magic Eraser (which I've also used) works similarly, but as others have said you don't drag it, you gently lower the stylus onto it, then lift the stylus. The structure of the ME scrapes the stylus clean, which is also the idea behind the sandpaper.

Note the Linn sandpaper is incredibly fine.

25. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Interesting - that's the same method as the Linn sandpaper. I admit I'm a bit too paranoid to drag some of the ME across the stylus, but I could see that working. You'd want to be pretty gentle I'd think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.