Audio Fidelity new 24 Kt Gold CD of "Crosby, Stills & Nash" Review: Veil Removed!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

Not with my copy of this title, nor any other AF gold discs, but I've had other CDs (including some in perfect condition) that for some reason have done what you've described in one player, but worked perfectly fine in others. I'd be inclined to seek a replacement while they are still in stock.

There is something I've wondered about these AF gold discs. When held to the light, it is very easy to see through them. I'm no technical expert, but I've wondered whether this might cause misreads of the music layer on some players (from the lettering on the opposite side showing through. I've had that happen on one or two silver discs over the years. So far, I have not had problems with any of my copies of the AF gold discs. I'm sure there is a scientific reason for this, but it makes me wonder if some players might be more sensitive to misreads because of it. Maybe this is more appropriately a discussion for the equipment section.

2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The new Sony versions of the EH Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced and Electric Ladyland CDs caused a lot of grief for my CD player - it tried forwards, backwards (my CD player is a top loader with a viewing window) and then stopped. I had kept the MCA versions fortunately, so they now reside in the Sony covers along with the Sony DVDs.
    I'm hanging out for this CD - c'mon Austpost!!!!

3. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

What is "EH"?

4. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

EH = Experience Hendrix

5. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

Thank you very much.
    But: I know "Experience Hendrix" as a compilation Best-of album.
    Next question: What are "new Sony versions of the Experience Hendrix Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced and Electric Ladyland CDs"?

6. John Buchanan

Experience Hendrix, the company, originally used MCA to manufacture their CDs. This changed relatively recently to Sony. Some of the Jimi Hendrix CDs were released with DVDs in digipaks instead of jewel cases.
    I found some of the Sony CDs manufactured in the USA to be literally unplayable.

7. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

Ah, the Hendrix family has control of Jimi's music and named the company "Experience Hendrix". Now I understand.
    Ther was also a band named "The Jimi Hendrix Experience".

8. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Mine shipped 3 weeks ago (importcds), finally arrived today (#1851):righton:

9. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

I have now enjoyed this mastering for the last 2-3 weeks. I have played the disc on a variety of systems - home, office and auto at a variety of listening levels from loud to soft. I love the way the disc sounds. As I am listening to this mastering I feel as though I am deeper into mix than I have on any other version I have heard going all the way back to the original vinyl. There is more dynamic range, more subtle details are apparent in each track, great EQ choices and for me, this all makes the listening experience more musical and satisfying. Great work Steve!

I can only hope we can get the same treatment for Deja Vu!

Bob-:wave:

10. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

AF should send a copy of this CSN to Neil Young, and ask permission to do the Deja Vu album. (Show him the sales figures too...)

11. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Didn't Mobile Fidelity do a vinyl release of Deja Vu?

12. John Buchanan

They did. The album cover was very well done too.

13. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Mine shipped from Amazon on 23rd Dec - and arrived today! Thats not bad is it? #2427.

Sounding pretty fine as well. Awesome work Steve, I love it!

14. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for mine, shipped on the 14th...

15. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

Proud owner of # 2250
    It sounds great. Everything just sparkles. The bass is very, very smooth ( how did they do that??) Thanks for this. I love it.

16. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

Received my copy this morning and I'm blown away I've lived with various versions of this album for 40 years and it's never sounded this good, it almost sounds like a re-mix it's fresh and clean with awesome bottom end and smooth mid-range, great job Steve it's amazing what you can do with a stereo tape.

17. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

You guys should try Amazon Prime,free 2 day shipping.I love it.

18. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

My friend lent me his copy and I'm blown away. "Veil lifted" is not an understatement. I compared it to an original LP and the difference was obvious in the first 10 seconds, and I almost always favor vinyl over CD. It's always a good sign when you can hear the sound (read light hiss) of the master tape. SH did an amazing job with this. Looks like I might have to spring for this one.......

19. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Thats what I thought as well. It has "that sound" which one might expect to be personified best by vinyl. But in this case the CD nails it. A beautiful mastering achievement!

20. Samfield

Samfield Forum Resident

With the house empty this past weekend I finally had the chance to really crank the volume. CSN is just another wonderful effort from AF and Steve. I applied some pseudo 5.1 processing to "Helplessly Hoping" and the vocal harmonies emanating out of the 5 mains really sounded sweet. I have really been enjoying these AF gold discs, lately. Hopefully the bounty continues in 2012 and beyond.

21. John Buchanan

OK, we know about the veils being removed, but have the floors been cleaned? (the soft noises due to tape faults - are they still present). I'm STILL waiting here in the most isolated city in the world for my copy.

22. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

This is a really nice mastering job. Certainly my reference copy of this album from now on. Excellent!

23. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I'm listening to this now...WOW!

24. montejay

montejay Forum Resident

What a wonderful remaster. I took the cd over to a hi end manufacturer yesterday so I could listen on a state of the art system. It was an experience. We compared the original canadian press with was my goto for years to the AF and the difference was significant.
    Congrats Mr Hoffman!

25. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

I had exactly the same wrinkles on my disc, very odd manufacturing defect!! How did you get them to replace it? Did you send your first one back? mine was #2954

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.