Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #33)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here

Welcome! :wave:

This thread (and the 32 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, discuss classical works, classical composers, classical performers, etc.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

It came up in the previous thread that it would be fun to post our favorite Classical finds from 2011, including new recordings, reissues and recordings that are simply new to us. I think this is a great idea!

Here's some useful links for other people's lists for 2011:

The Best Classical Music Recordings of 2011 - Posted by Alex Ross

New York Times Gift List

Washington Post

And as always, I would like to offer my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that have made this such and enjoyable and informative experience thus far! You guys are still the best! :righton:

2. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

i am listening to this...bummer the LP is a bit dirty or worn out, because its got great dynamics!

[​IMG]

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

My work is done

Here are the links to parts 1 and 2 of the MOG Intro to Classical Playlist I've been working on. I had to break it in two because apparently the maximum size of a MOG playlist is 500 tracks. Had I known that to start with, I would probably have divided it between vocal and non-vocal (and I may revise it in that manner). As it is, it's divided chronologically, with the second part starting with Stravinsky. (The whole list is in rough chronological order.)

As I've stated, my primary guiding principle in selecting works and peformances has been variety. The list includes piano works, orchestral works, chamber works, choral works, opera, an electronic work and more. It covers nearly a millenium. For those just tasting classical music, let me offer the heretical suggestion that you try this in shuffle mode. When something strikes your fancy make a note of it. If it's a section of a larger work, try listening to the entire work. If you want to know more, please post (as George always says).

Many thanks to everyone who helped me assemble this list. I hope it meets with your approval.

http://mog.com/m/playlist/1200596
    http://mog.com/m/playlist/1203260

4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Would you mind posting the final list once more? You can't access MOG from ye olde world and there is some stuff on the list I might give a closer look/listen to as well.

5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Also: 33, far out! :goodie:

6. George P

I know, right?

7. Jay F

Jay F New Member

And thank you, John, for taking the time and going to the trouble of assembling this fine playlist. I'm going to ecouter it a little now.

8. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Just thought I would check in and say hello for 33. :)

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Very nice :edthumbs:

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Yes, over 32,000 posts in how many years now? :winkgrin:

11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I 've listened to this cd by the Quatuor Ébène numerous times and I never get tired. Their Faure is probably the best available.

[​IMG]

12. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

In before the lock.

I am in love with Hyperion records and its Web site. It offers lossless downloads and it is so easy to use. (I do wish they took AmEx, instead of just Visa and MC, so I could get points for purchases, but oh well.) The label's catalogue is amazing in its depth and variety; the recorded sound is consistently excellent -- Why does it often seem that the smaller labels manage better engineering than the majors? -- and the artist roster is full of people I want to know better.

Right now I'm listening to a title I downloaded tonight, Volume 4 in the series of Bach transcriptions (by Samuel Feinberg), performed by Martin Roscoe.

[​IMG]

13. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Could not agree more. This one is a favorite at home and at work. :righton:

14. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

15. crickbob

crickbob Member

Many, many thanks to you for your hard work and to all the contributors! :righton:

16. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

My Fav for new releases

Harmonia Mundi

17. George P

Nice to see yah! :wave:

18. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Just back from vacation. I had to escape the shakes for a couple of weeks... :sigh:

19. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Can't remember I think I joined the forum/site back around thread 16 or 20?
    My Classical Music realm hasn't been the same since!! :D

20. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I'll post a formal final list in the next day or so. Still contemplating dividing between vocal/non-vocal, but as MOG doesn't seem to allow multi-select, it would take a couple of hours.

21. George P

[​IMG]

Haydn
    String Quartets
    Op. 20/2, Op. 64/3, 74/3, 77/2
    Pro Arte QT
    Testament
    Transfers by Andrew Walter

Enjoying CD 3 from this set.

22. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

posting an album cover and saying that you just got it or have ordered it or are listening to it - 99% of all Classical Music Corner thread posts.

just an observation, not a criticism (I have done it myself). :hide:

23. George P

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Veni Creator Spiritus

Thank you so much. This is a wonderful way to introduce people to "Classical" music. I really think you should post a general announcement about this [if you haven't already] for the folks in this forum :righton:

Thank you in particular for starting with that most prescient of composers, the incomparable Hildegard von Bingen.

25. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

no, you're right, but it is a half-truth :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.