NRBQ: The best pressings - recommendations wanted

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ceddy10165, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll Thread Starter

Hi folks,

Who better to ask than you, SHF's! Finally order the Ludlow Sundazed 10," and am looking to restore/complete my collection of Q once and for all. For example, I need to get the Monk trib w/ Terry and Q called "That's The Way I Feel Now," and Terry's 79 Monk Comp LP.

That said, with all of the different vinyl and CD pressings of the band's catalog, I was hoping for feedback on the best pressings to look for, whether they be vinyl or CD.

The Scraps Companion is a mystery too, GDM doesn't sell it, and I only see imports available. Did this ever get a US release?

I said, "CAN YOU FEEL IT?!"

Thanks!

PS. any Q forums, boards, communities on the net?

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Hi Ceddy10165! :wave:

Their catalog is quite extensive, as you know. It might be helpful if you posted a list of which NRBQ titles you currently own and then some of us can help fill in the blanks by making some recommendations.

The Scraps Companion did receive a US release on Edisun (NRBQ's label). Most online merchants list it as "out of stock" but if you're patient, you'll be able to track one down. It rarely shows up on eBay but when it does, it usually goes for about $20-25
    There is also an import version (on Dreamsville) which usually sells for about $30 (same tracks).

Go ahead and let us know what you have and we'll get to work!

3. ceddy10165

hey now, mike dow! thanks for chiming in.

other than the edisun releases I own on CD, my entire studio Q collection is on cassette tape. yeah...

so really, from an audiophile perspective, I'm starting from scratch, so to speak. So, more specifically, I am looking at the 69-83 era or so.

4. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Scraps vinyl on Kama Sutra, distributed by Buddah, KSBS 2045, nice! Took a while to find, but it beats my Rounder/Red Rooster copy.

CD release on Rounder has 3 bonus tracks.

Scraps Companion on CD, Edi-Sun, ED-12, don't remember where I found this.

5. ceddy10165

so do yo prefer the Scraps LP to the CD reissue?

6. DanG

Yes, but my system is better at vinyl playback than CD.

This thread has prompted me to set aside the Kama Sutra to make a CDR. Then I'll compare the CDR and CD, at home and in the car. This is one of my favorite albums, I don't know why I haven't done this sooner.

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

All Hopped Up sounds best on Red Rooster vinyl. Most of the Red Rooster stuff was done by Rounder, and their pressings are generally great. All Hopped Up in its original form only got two CD releases, the first on the German Line label, which sounds a little thin. There's a Japanese mini LP version that just came out this year, but I haven't heard it. Most of the album was reissued on a Rounder CD as Ridin' In My Car, but not all of the tracks from the original LP are there, and other previously unreleased songs are added.

Kick Me Hard is good on vinyl too, but the CD adds almost another album's worth of songs to it, and is really the go-to version. All of the Rounder CD's sound good to my ears.

I was never all that impressed with the Bearsville vinyl Grooves In Orbit. Best bet with that one is the Rhino CD, or the currently available Wounded Bird reissue that appears to be a clone of the Rhino. One caveat, the Rhino shifts the song sequencing around, and changes the ending of "A Girl Like That" slightly (at the band's direction). The Rhino and Wounded Bird do have a couple of bonus tracks, including the essential studio version of "Some Kind Of Blues."

Also, the one everyone keeps complaining about is that the original Mercury pressing of NRBQ At Yankee Stadium included "Ridin' In My Car", but every subsequent version, including the CD, does not have the track. This is because Mercury leased the song from the band (it was originally on All Hopped Up) only for a limited time, and NRBQ chose not to extend that lease after the first pressing of the LP.

Apart from those thin sounding German Line CD's, I have yet to hear a really bad sounding NRBQ CD.

8. Mike Dow

I have a few suggestions to add to those from Reechie and Dan.

I'm not sure how "complete" you would like to get but if you are primarily concentrating on the '69-83 era, I would start with the first two Columbia LPs...

NRBQ- (1969) I have three different pressings and all of them sound very good. You should know that there is an early mispressing out there with one side of the LP mastered incorrectly.

"Boppin' The Blues" (also on CD CK9981)- (CD sounds excellent)

"Stay With We" (Columbia CD-1993) Collects some of the tracks from the first two Columbia LPs, remixes some of the material and adds some unissued songs. Excellent sound.

"Scraps" -If you are going for the best sound, the CD (IMO) beats all of the vinyl pressings that I have. Rich, warm sound (mastered by Toby Mountain) and has some great notes from our own John DeAngelis!

"Scraps Companion"- Edi-Sun ED 12 (see post above) Highly recommended/mostly live form a '72 Memphis radio broadcast with 6 unreleased studio tracks. Great sound--mastered by Billy Shaw

"Workshop" (1972) Kama Sutra KSBS 2065 Essential. This was later repackaged as a double album with "Scraps". I have yet to hear a bad pressing. Some (but not all) of the material was later issued by Rounder in 1986 on the collection "RC Cola And A Moon Pie" which also included two previously unlreleased songs..."Ratch-i-tatch" and "Louisville".

"All Hopped Up" (1975) (available on Red Rooster vinyl, Rounder vinyl and currently in remastered form on CD from Japan) As Reechie mentioned, some of these songs were issued on the CD, "Riding In My Car". I would try to find a sealed or near mint vinyl copy (not as difficult as you would imagine).

"At Yankee Stadium" (1977- Mercury) As Reechie mentioned, the CD is minus "Riding In My Car". That song is available on other Q discs so if that isn't an issue, the CD is great but the vinyl (SRM-1-3712) is readily available

"Kick Me Hard" (1979) I also recommend the CD (deluxe edition...lots of extras)

"Tiddlywinks" (1980) The vinyl is good but I give the edge to the CD (Rounder 30-48)

"Tapdancing Bats" (sessions from 76-81) Again, the vinyl is great but the CD adds four songs.

"Grooves In Orbit" (1983) I have yet to hear the Wounded Bird edition. I have the '99 remaster on Castle which sounds nice and features a MOJO article as liner notes.

a few stray tracks.....
    "Do The Bump" (1977 B side to Riding In My Car)
    "NRBQ- In Person" (August 1980 EP live 7" four tracks)
    "People" (B side to "Me And The Boys"...also on "Uncommon Denominators")
    "Little Rootie Tootie" ("That's The Way I Feel" Thelonious Monk tribute 1984 A&M Records)
    Johnnie Johnson- "Johnny B. Bad" 1991 disc featuring NRBQ on most songs...also Steve Ferguson (NRBQ's original guitarist) Eric Clapton and Keith Richards
    Jerry Lee Lewis (1995) Young Blood (featues NRBQ on many of the tunes)

In addition to those mentioned above, I also highly recommend...

NRBQ "Froggy's Favorites" Vol. 1 ( 1979-1999 live) available now at www.NRBQ.com Compiled and produced by John DeAngelis. Essential.
    NRBQ w/ Skeeter Davis "She Sings, They Play"
    NRBQ "Uncommon Denominators" (Rounder compilation with some previously unissued songs)
    NRBQ "God Bless Us All" (live in '87...essential...but you probably know that!)
    NRBQ "Diggin' Uncle Q" (kind of a sequel to "God..." also live in '87)
    NRBQ "Wild Weekend" ('89 their Virgin album)
    NRBQ "Peek-A-Boo" (2 disc out of print Rhino comp--a few remixes but great sound from Bill Inglot and killer liner notes from Johnny D.)
    NRBQ "Message For The Mess Age" (1993 Rhino) their last with Big Al. I love this album!
    NRBQ "Christmas Wish" (the latest Japanese CD adds several unreleased tracks. A very fun, if short Christmas collection)
    NRBQ and The Whole Wheat Horns w/John Sebastian "Live At The Wax Museum" (Edi-Sun ED 16) Live in D.C. 1982
    NRBQ- Live From Mountain Stage- includes both the Big Al and Johnny Spampinato lineups.
    NRBQ- You're Nice People You Are (1997) Rounder. Wonderful disc geared toward the little ones and a rewarding album for us big kids, too.
    NRBQ- (1999-also known as "the Yellow Album" ) Wonderul songwriting...great stuff.
    NRBQ- Tokyo (1996 live recordings...excellent)
    NRBQ- You Gotta Be Loose! (1998 live recordings...this one is smokin')
    NRBQ- "Dummy" (2004 their latest studio release...many fun songs)
    NRBQ- "Atsa My Band" (2000) I like both the vinyl and CD editions. Great original songs, fun covers, excellent sound.
    NRBQ- "Transmissions" (2 disc Japanese only comp with some unreleased and some songs making their first CD appearance)

NRBQ solo material......

Terry Adams (1995) Terrible (love this album...great instrumentals, very melodic and pure Terry)
    Terry Adams & Marshall Allen (2005) Ten By Two (live recordings from Brooklyn and Toronto in '96 and '97 with Marshall from Sun Ra's band)

The Wildweeds- (being from CT, I'm sure you know these guys...Big Al's pre-Q band.)
    "No Good To Cry" great sounding CD comp on Confidential Records
    "Wildweeds" (1970 Vanguard album...also on CD)
    Al Anderson (1972 Vanguard album reissued on CD in '98)
    Al Anderson (1987) "Party Favors"
    Al Anderson (1996) "Pay Before You Pump"
    Al Anderson (2004 album just reissued on Legacy)

I have probably neglected something that I'll think of later but the above suggestions will help flesh out your NRBQ collection. If you are going for vinyl, I would try to hold out for still sealed copies if possible. I've had great luck finding still sealed early pressings on almost all of their vinyl albums. If you decide to really go all the way and track down everything, you should know that there are a few singles and early pre-NRBQ tracks which are extrememly difficult to find. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably never find everything I need to complete my collection but I'm always looking. :)

9. ceddy10165

woooah. ask and you shall receive!
    thank you so very much--you covered just about everything.
    my only reason for saying 69-83, is that it seems most later releases were CD only, correct?
    I am a CD baby, but love my records too, and wanted to make sure that I didn't miss out on any excellent vinyl masterings. I am looking at the recent japanese mini's, but limited funds keep me from buying those babies unless it's really a superior disc.
    I do have many of the items you listed, but LOVED reading your descriptions. fantastic!
    The 3 you mentioned I am spinning non stop now are Froggy's Vol 1 (Go Prof. D!), Ten By Two, and Terrible. On an aside note, I was really impressed by how well Terrible is holding up over the years. The production is tight clean and neat, but very real and musical and human. It's just a beautiful piece of work, and a classic in my home.

Thanks again!

Q... :edthumbs:

10. Mike Dow

You are more than welcome!

Some of the post '83 releases were also avaiable on vinyl such as...

"She Sings, They Play"
    "Wild Weekend"
    "Peek-A-Boo" (abbreviated on vinyl)
    "Atsa My Band" (180 gram pressing available)
    "Digging Uncle Q"
    "God Bless Us All"

I agree, Terry's "Terrible" disc is outstanding! :)

11. DanG

It turns out my Scraps on Kama Sutra/Buddah is Sterling RL in the deadwax. No wonder it sounds so good.

The Scraps on Red Rooster/Rounder was ten years later, remastered 1982 by Greg Calbi at Sterling Sound, NY. Interestingly, it is missing two songs, Don't Knock at My Door from side one, and Ac-cent-tchu-ate the Positive/Things Are Getting Better from side two.

12. ceddy10165

Just wanted to thank you all again. Per your reccomendations a year ago, I've managed to find a bunch of great music that sounds great too. This board, is THE best. Found Wildweeds "Greatest Hits and More" LP in a record store today!

13. ceddy10165

Has anyone heard the NRBQ Caraway label CD reissues that comment on how they sound? Thanks in advance.

14. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Is Caraway the Japanese label?

The Japanese CD of "Workshop" sounds great!

15. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

need to get Froggies Favorites rereleased

16. John DeAngelis

:)

17. ceddy10165

Agreed - the Q Archival releases stay in print so fleetingly. The Scraps Companion also deserved to be in print and reissued as well. Heck, while we're at it how about a vinyl reissue of those titles too? (I can dream, right?:D)

18. hipster006

hipster006 Forum Resident

i belive their is a 12" with lou albano(wrestling legend) called Lou & the Q. another vote for the froggie cd. would love to complete my collection with that!

19. ceddy10165

Yes, it is the Japanese? Is their version of Workshop your prefered cd pressing?

20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Oh yeah! I'm so glad I bought two copies of FROGGY's FAVORITES VOLUME ONE! Little did I know it'd disappear almost instantly from circulation.

And, while we're at it, how about a CD or vinyl re-release of the official cassette-only release, THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES, from 1985? My cassette is on a store-bought high-grade cassette (TDK or Memorex or some such brand, Cr02 if I remember correctly) and both sides of the cassette tape were carefully hand-labeled (although it comes with a printed j-card with info on it). Awesome live stuff, including selections pulled from The Magic Box. Great, great stuff ... way better than HONEST DOLLAR, which is a comparable CD collection of live odds 'n ends through the years. (I have a copy of HONEST DOLLAR with the dollar bill signed by Terr, Joey, Tom and Al, BTW. Lucky me!)

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

There is.

The LOU AND THE Q CD was only issued in a mini-LP sleeve in Japan a couple of years ago and it's great ... although I noticed Joey Spampinato's name was removed from the production credits, which, hopefully, was just a mistake.

22. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

I do too. I've always wondered how many there were.

23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

There were 1,000 signed one-dollar bills, IIRC ... mine was folded up and placed under the clear green tray card's hub ... where it still resides.

24. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

I have a copy too with the signed dollar bill, i thought it was 500 copies...

25. John DeAngelis

I thought it was 100.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.