‘The Office’ Spinoff In The Works For Midseason 2013 Launch

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/the-office-spinoff-starring-rainn-wilson-nbc-2013-new-launch/

eh...

The most interesting info is in the last paragraph, where it's stated that none of the principals are signed for next season, so the show could be undergoing an even bigger overhaul than what we've seen this year...

2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I never knew Mindy Kaling was a "core" cast member. I learn something new everyday.

3. dirwuf

Mmm... Rainn Wilson tweets: "Don't believe everything you read in the press, ok?”

4. bw

bw Forum Resident

Isn't she one of the main writers?

5. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Sounds like the Office is dunzo.

If Wilson, Helms, and Krasinski all depart at the end of the season/beginning of the next, what's left? Jenna Fischer, James Spader and the supporting cast?

Also, the fact that Greg Daniels is not involved in the Schrute Farms show makes it pretty much D.O.A. to me, especially since Schur likely won't be involved.

Time to wrap this baby up.

6. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Yeah, she is. But I wouldn't say that makes her a "core" cast member. I'd say the "core cast" prior to this season was Carell, Fischer, Krasinski, Wilson, and maybe Helms. This season it's been Helms, Fischer, Krasinski, Wilson, and probably Spader.

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I don't see how Fischer could stay if Krasinski leaves. Jim and Pam get a divorce? No way.

On the other James Spader and Ellie Kemper are the main reasons I watch the show now, so I think it could continue forever, basically, as long as new characters are introduced. There was a time when Ed Helms was the new kid on the block.

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Just don't bother calling EITHER The Office - the audience will smell a rat.

Now, Michael Scott - Infomercial Host...THAT'S a spinoff...!

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Sarah McLachlan - Ice Cream

9. mfp

mfp Senior Member

The show as it is now already feels like a spinoff to me...

10. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

They could always kill Jim off. Haven't we learned he's got a blood pressure problem? :D Or maybe they could do like they did with Barney Miller's wife and turn him into an offscreen chararacter?

11. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I guess Jim could just go work somewhere else for the purpose of keeping Fischer, but it would totally diminish most of the point of Pam.

12. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I don't think Jenna Fischer is signed for next season, either. At least she wasn't at the time of a recent interview for a new movie in which she was starring.

As for a Dwight spinoff, there have been some great moments at Schrute Farms, but I'm not sure I'd want to watch 30 minutes of Dwight and that place every week--especially if Mose (Michael Schur) isn't part of it.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

They keep introducing too many characters, as it is. Maybe a spin-off could take half of them away!

14. SBrad_26554

SBrad_26554 New Member

Given the comments he made in that NY Magazine
    interview he did last year, I think it's unlikely he'd want to do a spinoff.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Krasinski leaves after this season, which would likely mean Fisher's out, too. I don't see Jim and Pam divorcing or killing Jim off as realistic options. To be honest, though, losing even just one from the group of Helms, Kaling and Wilson would be probably be a much more fatal blow to the future of the series. I'm among those who think they've pretty run out of ideas for Jim and Pam.

15. dirwuf

Sounds like there is some traction to this...

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-po...ven-more-far-out-and-weird-office-video-34894

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.