Ian Anderson to release sequel to TAAB, April 2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WPLJ, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Is this a Steve Wilson project? I don't see his name........hoping, hoping!

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Sequel? Meh

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I wonder if Martin Barre will be part of this project? I doubt it. I am not sure how I feel about this.

5. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Same here - the guitar makes this album.

6. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

Since there's a 5.1 mix, I would assume it's been mixed by Steven. He can confirm this for us since he's on this forum. :)

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Given the state of Anderson's voice, I am not too exited about this.

In fact, I'm not excited at all about this, or the announcement that he'll be touring TaaB I and II.

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

IMO not only Martin, but all members of the group were crucial to the original album.

Oh well, I'm hoping the idea of Gerald Bostock as an adult inspired some good writing from Ian.

9. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

He's listed as a current member of the band on the site... :confused:

10. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

That's because the band hasn't officially broken up. Everyone is taking a break doing solo type projects.

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Wow.

12. fredgsanford

fredgsanford Forum Resident

There is a chance this new album could be good, even if it won't sound anything like the old Tull we know and love. I think at this stage Ian is far more capable of making a good record than putting on a decent show. I will certainly give it a chance.

13. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I'm very keen to hear this - the involvement of Derek Shuman from Gentle Giant is interesting as well. Anderson is still capable of writing a great melody and while his voice isn't what it was, I don't think it's the car crash it's sometimes painted as. This is an Anderson solo album so I think we can assume no Martin Barre. I just really hope he isn't using the young German guitarist he toured with last year (awful leather trousered 'hair metal', play as many notes as possible rubbish).

14. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

It's all or nothing, I reckon. This would have to be REALLY inspired to grab me.

TAAB said what it had to say at the time (not unlike side one of Aqualung, I suppose). So what's changed? Having heard of Ian's own upward mobility over the years, is he going to 'play' Gerald as society's intellectual underdog?..or is Ian/Gerald going to come down from the upper class to mend our rotten ways?

15. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I wonder what happened to Gerald. I hope he became one seriously messed up individual. Rubber room type stuff.

16. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Still no Under Wraps II.

17. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'd bet anything this is just a joke on IA's part.

18. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

TAAB 2 Trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7jZMCBEsZM&feature=player_embedded

TAAB2’ tracklist:
    1 From A Pebble Thrown
    2 Pebbles Instrumental
    3 Might-have-beens
    4 Upper Sixth Loan Shark
    5 Banker Bets, Banker Wins
    6 Swing It Far
    7 Adrift And Dumfounded
    8 Old School Song
    9 Wootton Bassett Town
    10 Power And Spirit
    11 Give Till It Hurts
    12 Cosy Corner
    13 Shunt And Shuffle
    14 A Change Of Horses
    15 Confessional
    16 Kismet In Suburbia
    17 What-ifs, Maybes And Might-have-beens

http://www.j-tull.com/
    Read more:
    http://jethrotull.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=1835&page=1
    Read more:
    http://thejethrotullboard.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=2567&page=1

19. Thanks for sharing this JohnN!

Those new pieces on the clip are cool but they sound like today's trend on television or radio to rewrite/shuffle around stuff from famous artists so as to "sound good" while keeping the famous artists' lawyers at bay...

20. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

I am cautiously curious.

21. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Oh, God.... TAAB has always been one of my favourite albums by any artist... This could be truly dreadful... Without a voice, without that peerless band backing him, not even Martin... ogodogodogod...

22. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

Shulman's involvement strikes me as particularly odd, seeing as how he's the Giant member least willing or interested in revisiting the past and getting back on stage himself. But if it works and good people make money on it, who am I to complain?

23. What interview or part thereof did I missed where they mention an actual involvement from Derek Shulman? The only thing I saw was some encouragements DS gave IA about the project, in the first interview posted at the top.

24. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

From Steven's FB page:

"I recently had the pleasure of mixing the new Ian Anderson / Jethro Tull album, which is a follow up to the classic Thick as a Brick album from 1972. TAAB2 is very much in the tradition of the first album, a continuous 54 minute concept piece with a similar musical palette and style. It's just been officially announced for release in April as a CD/DVD (including a 5.1 mix and stereo in high res), more details on the Tull website. I also completed mixes for a 40th anniversary surround sound edition of the original Thick as a Brick, though not sure when that is coming out."

25. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

My original comment may have been misleading - was attempting to multi-task unsuccessfully and only half read the piece by Anderson. You're right in that it looks like his role was primarily one of encouragement, not creative input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.