Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #33)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

If pianism were a beauty pageant, Argerich would have been Miss World. :love:

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Too Cool For School

Throwing my two cents into the Sibelius discussion—I really like Sibelius Symphonies and tone poems—Get Ormandy/Phildelphia in the Sibelius Second. Ormandy managed to get some gorgeous string playing from the Philadelphia Orchestra back in the day. There's a lot of Odyssey copies floating around on vinyl, the mastering is okay but slightly better if you've got a treble knob to slightly roll off the top if you get my drift. Haven't owned the original Columbia pressing. The CD is going for crazy money these days. Ormandy/Philadelphia also recorded a fine Seventh symphony—I have the original LP, the eq is good—and some excellent performances of the tone poems.

Other than that, the Colin Davis remakes with the LSO are better than the Boston Symphony Orchestra recordings for Philips and the Karajan/Berlin recordings o DGG are irreplaceable. Karajan/Berlin's later recordings for EMI are interesting and worthwhile supplements to the DGG recordings. Karajan's last recording of the Fourth, for EMI, may be the coldest Sibelius recording on disc.

3. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

No I do not have this in my collection. it is OOP at the moment. I notice his DG release of La Mer with the St Ceclia Orch. though, is.

4. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Agreed, though I wonder if it's just that the pretty girls get the attention, which would be a shame.

I've always adored Maria Joao Pires, and found her to be very attractive in a mature, comfortable-in-her-own-skin way.

[​IMG]

5. Collector Man

It says a lot about the choices being made today by record companies. It is a most daring and foolish decision to to schedule a young and virtually unknown pianist to record the Beethoven 32 Piano Sonata cycle. Instantly we think of the recorded comparisons available, she faces, being up against. Performances from the many other great pianists with some, bringing a lifetime's experience to their efforts. If companies think some performer 'that lights well on the cover' is going to sell Beethoven, I think they will get a rude shock.

6. Collector Man

Maria Joao Pires...A pianist's pianist!

7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Simply Shocking!

If you want a rude shock in the Beethoven Sonatas, try Annie Fischer:

[​IMG]

8. George P

...and I thought it was just me! :righton:

Her Schubert is awesome!

Attached Files:

9. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I don't think I've ever head the expressive range of the violin quite as it comes across in Anne-Sophie Mutter's playing of these four Gershwin transcriptions by Heifetz. Extraordinary, and I love the songs. Accompaniment by her ex.

[​IMG]

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Is this a recent release?

11. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I have Ormandy Sibelius 2nd w/ Phila. Orch. on Japanese XRCD, and it sounds great. Which CD is the one that is going for crazy money?

12. Highly Recommended CD

Isaac Albeniz (1860-1909): "Iberia" (Complete) TT 76:36 mins

1. Evocacion
    2. El Puerto
    3. El Corpus en Sevilla
    4. Rondena
    5. Almeria
    6. Triana
    7. El Albaicin
    8. El Polo
    9. Lavapies
    10. Malaga
    11. Jerez
    12. Eritana

Jean-Francois Heisser, pianist. (born 1950)

Piano, Steinway

ERATO 4509-94807-2 (1994)

Review: Outstanding recording Top Notch! Brilliant Piano! Brillant Performance!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      35.1 KB
      Views:
  13. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Arturo Toscanini - Anthology Vol. 1: NBC Symphony Orchestra (1950-1953) [Opus Kura 2009, Producer: S. Aihara, Transfer: K. Yasuhara using orig. UK HMV LP's from the ALP series, Mastering: T. Suga at King Sekiguchidai Studio, all recorded at Studio 8H, except as noted — superb transfers and mastering, wouldn't be surprised to find out there is a hint of artificial reverberation, subtly applied, doesn't sound as dry as some other 8H recordings]

-Brahms: Hungarian Dance No. 1 [1953]
      -Brahms: Hungarian Dance No. 17 [1953]
      -Brahms: Hungarian Dance No. 20 [1953]
      -Brahms: Hungarian Dance No. 21 [1953]
      -Thomas: Overture to 'Mignon' [1952]
      -Catalani: Prelude to 'La Wally', Act IV [1952]
      -Catalani: Dance of the Water Nymphs from 'Loreley' [1952]
      -Donizetti: Overture to 'Don Pasquale' [1951]
      -Ponchelli: Dance of the Hours from 'La Gioconda' [1952]
      -Herold: Overture to 'Zampa' [1952]
      -Dukas: The Sorcerer's Apprentice [rec. Carnegie Hall, 1950]]

[​IMG]

14. Attention: All Collectors of Fine Vinyl

"T h e - G r e a t e s t - A c h i e v e m e n t - I n - G r a m o p h o n e - h i s t o r y..."

BBC Music Magazine: January 2012 Issue

The 50 Greatest Recordings of All Time!

"We Asked Our Reviewers To Name The Discs That Every Collection Must Have!"

Here Is Their Verdict: The Number One Recording is:

Richard Wagner:

Der Ring Des Nibelungen

Das Rheingold - Die Walkure - Siegfried - Gotterdammerung.

Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra

Georg Solti, conducting

London RING-S-1 Stereo 19 LPs box set Suggested Retail Price: $100.00

Included Is The Book, "Ring Resounding" Witten By John Culshaw, Who Produced These Historic Recording Sessions.

Note: How Many SHMF Members Have This Historic LP Box Set, And Have Actually Listened to all Four Operas Via All 19 LPs. Either In One or Four Sessions!

I Located my copy of London RING-S-1 at a Local Thrift Store. Set is in Excellent Condition! Groove quiet like new. The book contains, historical information, photos and important dates and statistics.

I also have the following related albums >

"An Introduction to Der Ring Des Nibelungen" by Deryck Cooke.
    An explanation and analysis of Wagner's system and leitmotifs, with 193 music examples provided by the Vienna Philharmonic - Georg Solti.
    London R DN S-1 3 LPs Stereo (1969) (Thrift Store Price: 50¢/LP)

Highlights: "Der Ring Des Nibelungen" From the Complete Recordings - Georg Solti - Vienna Philharmonic
    London OSA 1440 Stereo 4 Lps (Thrift Store Price:50¢/LP)

Note: All Box Sets in Excellent Condition. Purchased London Ring S-1 for $40.00

Attached Files:

15. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I only have Die Walküre on LP (the final, Holland-pressed, early 80's reissue, which I have found to have superior sound to the UK-pressed issues), the rest on other formats. The casting is phenomenal, can't beat this Ring — all things considered — although if I were to nitpick, I could say that Solti's conducting is perhaps a bit superficial in places, IMHO. It's a great pity that Furtwängler died before completing his planned studio cycle of The Ring for EMI, because what I have heard from his La Scala and Rome Rings is the 'holy grail' in terms of grand Wagnerian conducting. As it happens, I popped in a store today and bought Ring Resounding from this 70's LP reissue boxed set for $2, in Very Good condition, with original dust jacket.

16. Part of my vintage LP collection purchased from local thrift store.

I have all "11 selections" posted by Eddie Williamson: Toscanini Anthology Vol 1 via various original RCA Victor LPs.

Arturo Toscanini - NBC Symphony Orchestra

"A Toscanini Omnibus" RCA Victor LM 6026 2LPs © 1955 Comes with a 8 Page 12" x 12" illustrated Booklet with 26 Black and White Prints.

"Toscanini Conducts Wagner" RCA Victor LM 6020 2LPs

Moussorgsky-Ravel: "Pictures at an Exhibition"
    Frank: "Psyche and Eros" (Episode No. 4 from Psyche)
    RCA Victor LM 1838 Released © 1954
    Recorded on January 26, 1953 in Carnegie Hall, New York, NY, USA [ 59 years ago this month ]
    Technical: Single Condensor Microphone suspended 17 feet above podium. RCA Victor High Fidelity RT-2 recorders with a tape speed of 30 inches per second. Production parts were made with a feed back cutter employing a heated stylus. High frequency induction method provided a uniform frequency response of 30 - 18,000 cycles. An automatic variable pitch method was used to transfer the tapes to disc. R.I.A.A.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
  17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Sealed copies of the "Essential Classics" issues are listed at close to $900 at Amazon. Not that anyone is stupid enough to pay that price, but there you are.

Is the XRCD in print?

18. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Yes, I got it less than a year ago for about $17 new sealed. It was issued in 2009 on XRCD.

19. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

20. George P

No, they give all historical releases low numbers, usually 4 or lower. So that 4 is good, actually.

21. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

No, it's from 2001. But my appreciation of singing in classical music is rather recent, that's why I only got these motets now.

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have this set in separate four box sets and I 've listened to them numerous times. I also have a box set titled Introduction to the Ring where Deryk Cooke goes through the recording pointing out and analyzing the main themes. It came with a big book that contains his analysis+music examples.

23. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I see....they don't take into account that the recording was made before quality recording technology was even thought of. IGNORANT IMHO

24. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Hmm, you two were up late! Or it is early? :)

25. drh

drh Talking Machine

Wasn't the Wanamaker organ at least formerly billed as the world's largest?

Poly want a tonal? Awwwk! Milhaud wrote a LOT of music, and there's a good bit of justice in the observation voiced in a review I read years ago (as it happens, of the first complete release of his string quartets, a set that I wanted then but never purchased out of considerations of $$$$), that like that of most latter day composers with bountiful output, his work can be uneven. That said, here are a few attractive Milhaud works that you might enjoy:

Concerto for Percussion and Small Orchestra, op. 109
    Le Carnival d'Aix, for piano and orchestra
    Saudades do Brazil (a set of attractive pieces for solo piano)

And, if you happen to be into those somewhat rare concerti for two pianos and orchestra, Milhaud made a worthy contribution to the genre in his op. 228, although I'll confess I think the slow movement somewhat outstays its welcome.

You already have Scaramouche, a staple of the two-piano literature, and the two-piano reduction of Le Boeuf sur le Toit (I'm sure our Francophone members will cringe when I confess that I often refer to it as "The Boof on the Roof"). That started off as a ballet score, and you really should chase out an orchestral copy; much as I enjoy piano reductions, I'd be the first to agree that the work loses a lot when shorn of its colorful orchestration. We're fortunate that Milhaud was a capable advocate of his own works and left a fair number of recordings; Nonesuch issued one of him leading the Boeuf, and it's a winner.

I've never really warmed to probably his most celebrated work, Le Creation du Monde, and I'm certainly no lover of Messiaen, but I think somebody really should program La Creation and the Quartet for the End of Time back to back someday....

Yeah, I read that article. Funny how the greatest recordings of all time were pretty much (admittedly not quite) all from the LP era or later. Yet another in a string of silly exercises by our friends at the Beeb, in my estimation.

Oh, wow! :love::love::love::love: Most stunning photo anyone's posted here. I'm in l-o-v-e! Those noble lines--pristine surfaces--classic label--now *that* is one beautiful shellac record. Nice of the lady to hold it up for us to drool over!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.