1970 RAM DEMOS Listing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etcetera

etcetera Forum Resident Thread Starter

Recorded in scotland and in London for a period of 4 months ( May to August ), here is the listing of the 29 songs put on tape just before going to New York ). But sorry, no other infos, and never heard any of them . Just have the listing thanks to a good friend of mine, with handwriting notes by a unknown listener, could be eddy Pumer. Enjoy. I hope we will hear these one day.

1 HEART OF THE COUNTRY ( great voice and feel )
    2 TOO MANY PEOPLE ( embryonic version )
    3 WHY AM I CRYING ( embryonic )
    4 BACK SEAT OF MY CAR ( wonderful )
    5 JUST ANOTHER DAY ( great )
    6 GYPSY GET AROUND ( wonderfulm beach boys song ) on uké
    7 RAM ON ( on uké )
    8 RUPERT SUNSHINE SOMETIME ( cool )
    9 RUPERT GUITAR SONG INSTRUMENTAL ( with whistling )
    10 RUPERT LITTLE LAMB DRAGONFLY ( magical )
    11 SMILE AWAY ( at the end , Paul talked to Linda about having Jimi Hendrix and a jazzy drummer for forming a trio and records this song soon )
    12 LOVE IS LONG ( with unknown verses ) with Linda
    13 EAT AT HOME / BUDDY'S BREAKFAST / INDEED I DO medley with Linda, loose
    14 MONKBERRY MOON DELIGHT / FRENZY medley ( wonderful and crazy)
    15 GET ON THE RIGHT THING ( with another talk between Paul & Linda about Jimi possible involvment at the end ), great take
    16 LITTLE WOMAN LOVE
    17 COUNTRY DREAMER ( with insects noise around )
    18 LONG HAIRED LADY ( with Linda )
    19 I LIE AROUND ( country feel )
    20 3 LEGS ( drunk version ) totally out of tune version
    21 WE RE SO SORRY ( drunk too )
    22 A LOVE FOR YOU ( bluesy slow version )
    23 SHE CAN'T BE FOUND ( country tune )
    24 SOME PEOPLE NEVER KNOW ( great home version)
    25 HANDS ACROSS THE WATER ( fun but too long )
    26 TOMORROW ( with a fun quote about yesterday at the end, Paul said he wrote this as a game) )
    27 BIG BARN BED ( embryonic version on guitar )
    28 GREAT DAY ( with the kids around )
    29 I AM YOUR SINGER ( with Linda )

2. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

knocking wood crossing fingers trying not to jinx the deluxe edition of RAM knocking wood crossing fingers...

3. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

This is so interesting etcetera, thank you very much for sharing this! Ever since you told us of the discovery of this tape I've been wondering what was on it. Seems there's less totally unknown tracks than you thought there would be. Some notes and thoughts:

3 WHY AM I CRYING ( embryonic )
    Funny that it was still called Why Am I Crying and it says it's embryonic, cause two years later Paul played it too while taping The James Paul McCartney Special and there still wasn't much more to it...it became 4th Of July of course.

6 GYPSY GET AROUND ( wonderfulm beach boys song ) on uké
    Interesting that this was a standalone bit! I'm often surprised by how often Paul stuck unfinished bits and pieces together to compose his songs.

9 RUPERT GUITAR SONG INSTRUMENTAL ( with whistling )
    Probably When The Wind Is Blowing

10 RUPERT LITTLE LAMB DRAGONFLY ( magical )
    Funny how we just discussed this song yesterday and someone suggested it was part of the Rupert soundtrack, till Denny Seiwell suggested putting it on RRS.

11 SMILE AWAY ( at the end , Paul talked to Linda about having Jimi Hendrix and a jazzy drummer for forming a trio and records this song soon )
    Bittersweet how Jimi would be dead by the time they started recording in New York.

13 EAT AT HOME / BUDDY'S BREAKFAST / INDEED I DO medley with Linda, loose
    I wonder if the INDEED I DO here is the same snippet that was bootlegged.

17 COUNTRY DREAMER ( with insects noise around )
    Interesting that this was already around!

19 I LIE AROUND ( country feel )
    More evidence this was a RAM track

20 3 LEGS ( drunk version ) totally out of tune version
    21 WE RE SO SORRY ( drunk too )
    We've got to hear this hehe

23 SHE CAN'T BE FOUND ( country tune )
    An unreleased song!

24 SOME PEOPLE NEVER KNOW ( great home version)
    I suppose this is the great Cavendish Avenue version with an unknown singer duetting that Paul couldn't remember when asked last year.

28 GREAT DAY ( with the kids around )
    Nice to see that it's indeed as old as told around the release of Flaming Pie

tug_of_war and theMess like this.
  4. adiba

adiba Forum Resident

I'm afraid this must be HEY DIDDLE. Therefore, no unreleased songs :shake:

theMess likes this.
  5. For those of you who haven't heard it, here's John Christie's recording of the tune. Did Paul ever record a full-fledged demo for it? I'd love to hear it with Paul's early 70s voice... :love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv0yZOytRUM

theMess likes this.
  6. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

You must be right! The only unknown 'songs' (it could well be snippets) seem to be Frenzy and Buddy's Breakfast.

theMess likes this.
  7. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks for the list! Always wondered what he put on tape in the summer of 1970.....seems like almost enough material for a double album :)

Does anyone know how these demos were recorded? Are these straight mono recordings of Paul with his guitar/piano or more elaborate ones made using the 4-track with bass and drums on some?

theMess likes this.
  8. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

It's interesting seeing this list and taking a look at the tracklist of Wild Life:

Side One
    "Mumbo" – 3:54
    A studio jam

"Bip Bop" – 4:14

"Love Is Strange" (Mickey Baker, Ethel Smith) – 4:50
    An instrumental studio jam that turned out to be a cover when Paul remembered the words.

"Wild Life" – 6:48

"Some People Never Know" – 6:35
    "I Am Your Singer" – 2:15
    "Tomorrow" – 3:28
    All three tracks were demoed for RAM in 1970

"Dear Friend" – 5:53
    Recorded during the L.A. Sessions for RAM in 1971.

It makes the album seem even more of a tossed of project. Only two newly written songs, Bip Bop and Wild Life. That is, as far as we know. Even though I like the Wild Life album for what it is, one wonders how the tracks written during the RAM era would have sounded had they been recorded for RAM as well. Can you imagine Tomorrow done RAM style? Wow!

Cledwyn, yesteryear and theMess like this.
  9. Calico

Calico Senior Member

In the mid-90s I read an interview - can't remember precisely where, by the way, could have been "Beatlefan" - of Dave Clarke who claimed he still had Paul's demo.

theMess likes this.
  10. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

She Can't Be Found is likely Hey Diddle.

theMess likes this.
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I know it won't happen, but wouldn't it be a trip if they just threw this whole thing on the Ram reissue?

12. Claudio Dirani

Maybe 2 or 3 tracks will end up in the album, I've got this strange feeling that tells me that...

13. Claudio Dirani

Most of the songs were roughly written in the late sixties, so most of his material was mixed up and split in the early albums. Take Another Day, Back Seat, Every Night, Junk, for instance.

14. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

I guess "Just Another Day" became "Another Day", Paul's first solo single?
    And wasn't "Gypsy Get Around" a smart bit part of "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" in the middle of the "hands across the water, hands across the sea" segment?

Bingo Bongo and theMess like this.
  15. Claudio Dirani

Nailed it.

16. crossroads69

All three songs (Tomorrow, I Am Your Singer & Some People Never Know) would've sounded absolutely wonderful with the "Ram" treatment. I like them as is from Wild Life (love Tomorrow!) but the thought of hearing them with Ram-like production qualities is very very appealing.

Damn those biased negative reviews from 1971........

17. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

I love Ram, no wonder I liked Wild Life!

18. crossroads69

Lets not raise our hopes....according to Etcetera, these have already been ruled out for the Ram reissue :(

theMess likes this.
  19. Claudio Dirani

Really? Can ya point me to that? I wonder if it can be changed along the way as we have no firm release date as yet.

20. Claudio Dirani

I'm a bit confused here...it says Beach Boy song, but I guess it means "sounding like Beach Boys". I suppose this is actually that Uncle Albert bit...live a little gipsy get around"

21. crossroads69

Here is his post from the Ram reissue news thread - http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=7356845&postcount=133

" The demos are already put on the shelves for the archives for ........another century;"

:(

theMess likes this.
  22. rarediscs

rarediscs Forum Resident

I'm sorry but I am calling BS on this again. This just reeks of something made up. For starters, "Indeed I Do" was demoed almost a year later. You can clearly tell that on the 1971 demo that this is something just made up on the spot since the lyrics aren't even finished. If this song had been lying around for a year it would be much more polished with semi-finished or near complete lyrics.

In addition, it is known that McCartney recorded "Oh Woman, Oh Why" with David Spinozza before he quit the Ram sessions. It's funny that "Oh Woman, Oh Why" isn't even listed here. If this list is correct, you would have to believe that McCartney put aside several better and complete songs like "Great Day" and "Country Dreamer" to record the throwaway track "Oh Woman, Oh Why" which is hardly plausible.

Where is the proof of any of this? I know enough about McCartney's unreleased history to come up with a list just as intriguing and believable. Please don't continue to post this stuff without a proof source. I'll point out that not a single unreleased track that Etcetera announced a few years ago has been released. Coincidence?

23. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

"Bip Bop" was around in the summer of 1970. Remember the video from of Paul and Linda singing it outside on the farm with the kids running around. It was part of the only "new" material on Wingspan.

Given the falsetto in that part, I'm sure it sounded like a Brian Wilson kind of song. I never thought it sounded like the Beach Boys in the context of "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey", but perhaps it sounds that way on the demo.

theMess likes this.
  24. Thanks for the info, etcetera!

theMess likes this.
  25. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

A bit of skepticism is always sensible, but this reads true. The most validating bits are the comments, which remind of those found on other McCartney tapes - the short descriptions, some with an opinion.

"Oh Woman, Oh Why" originates as a jam. It's a cool track, but I'm kind of glad it wasn't something Paul actually sat down and wrote beforehand.

Also, I have always been under the impression that the "Indeed I Do" demo was from 1970.

There is no way to ascertain the veracity of this list. Etcetera can't say who exactly passed it along or he'd likely never see anything similar again. And why on earth would someone make something like this up? Yes, a lot of it could have compiled based on guesswork. We know that many of the songs were put together from other songs. We know many songs were attributed to this time frame, so I'm sure a lot of us could conjur up a list.

Maybe it isn't real, but again, who cares? I think it seems more real than not, a believing so doesn't hurt anyone. It's just banter about Paul McCartney demos from over 40 years ago. Nothing hinges on this. It's interesting, but not terribly important.

Thanks for sharing etcetera.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.