Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #34)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here

Welcome! :wave:

This thread (and the 33 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, discuss classical works, classical composers, classical performers, etc.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to offer my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that have made this such and enjoyable and informative experience thus far! You guys are still the best! :righton:

2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Nonesuch H-71261.producer:Joshua Rifkin.engineering:Ben Taylor.
    mastering:Robert C. Ludwig (Sterling Sound,Inc.) a Dolby-system recording.
    c.1971.i'm no expert in Early Music,but this comes off a little weak compared to more recent efforts,despite having a certain charm.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      56.1 KB
      Views:
  3. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Just checking in so I know where to find the thread. :laugh:

4. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I don't know about checking in Joe, my table resembles a check out with piles of new stuff to listen to
    Haydn Symphonies 100 thru 104 ECO/Tate Classics for pleasure 2008 2cd reissue

Haydn String Quartets op 51,54,55,64,71 & 74
    Amadeus Quartet DG collectors edition pack

Haydn Trumpet Concerto etc
    RLPO cond Kovacevich Classics for pleasure 1991

V Williams symphonies
    LPO/NOP Boult
    EMI 5 cd pack

:eek:

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Hello there!

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Magic Theater

I got Scott Walker's Drift Saturday.

[​IMG]

I've only played about 14 minutes worth. This is the most frightening music I've ever heard. I'm going to soldier on, but rather doubt that repeated playing of this incredible monstrosity will be good for my mental health. No question, this particular record belongs in our little cul-de-sac of the SHF. This is technically art song, with very deliberate, very conscious use of microtonal musical language. Comparisons to Scelsi, Schoenberg and Xennakis are more than justified. Scott Walker's voice is contorted into the upper registers of Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, somewhere near his sinuses. The sonorities are wide ranging, from chamber music to Industrial noise. This is nightmarish art music of a very high order. Very clearly not for everyone.

7. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Ummmm guess what is on the spin after being entered into my database (#335)?
    NOW I can say I own some Bruckner.....thanx Guys for fueling my addiction! :laugh:

Came yesterday :righton:

[​IMG]

8. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

First time I ever heard any Pandolfi Mealli music, and I like it!

It has some wicked bow beating of the strings...very energetic music!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Thru MOG

[​IMG]

10. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

That recording looks interesting, what is a theorbo ?

11. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Theorbo:
    [​IMG]

12. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Just played:
    A Sea Symphony - Vaughan Williams LPO/Boult from the box.
    Lovely sound-staging on the recording and is it me but I hear shades of Elgar dream of Gerontius in the scoring
    Just four more discs to go in that set!

13. Powerful and Brilliant: Shostakovitch + Mravinsky + Leningrad Philharmonic = Explosive Results! You Gotta Listen to this CD

Shostakovitch: Symphony No. 12 in D Minor Op. 12 "1917". Recorded Live: Oct. 1961

"The World Premiere Performance with the Composer Attending."

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      43.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      37.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      42.8 KB
      Views:
  14. Graphyfotoz

I have that on EMI with Haitink and love it! :righton:

15. Graphyfotoz

Was posting via mobile couldn't put a cover to my post above.

Here is the one I own....MHS/EMI venture....EXCELLENT Recording!!

[​IMG]

16. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

You are on your way brother! Just don't get too hooked on Bruckner like I did. Five versions of all his symphonies is a little overboard.

What you have fits the bill.......except for maybe a couple of other recordings. :D

17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

This is surely one of the great performances of Mozart's Symphonies Nos. 40 & 41. I heard them anew. They were recorded live with the Vienna Philharmonic in 1984 and 1985 with Leonard Bernstein. This disc from 1995 says they were newly remastered for this release. I would rate the sound as very good for the 40th and exceptional for the 41st.

BernsteinMozartVienna.jpg

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Touch the lute

A wonderful sound, one of the most articular and melodious bass instruments.

19. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Sorry to offer a dissenting opinion, but much though I love a lot of Shostakovich's symphonic output and many of his other pieces, I'm not sure I'd put "powerful and brilliant" in the same sentence as Shostakovich's 12th. :)

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Owning five different versions of a number of his symphonies turns out to be really worth it. There's at least five different versions of the Seventh I love— Furtwängler/Berlin Philharmonic, Wand/Berlin Philharmonic, Walter Columbia Symphony Orchestra, Haitink/Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Jochum/Berlin Philharmonic, Sanderling/South German Radio Orchestra—and four of the Six [Jochum/Bavarian Radio Orchestra, Klemperer/Philharmonia, Eschenbach/Houston and Nagano/Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra.] As there's different versions of Bruckner's Smphonies, sometimes the difference is worth exploring. The "Third" Symphony that Nagano and Deutsches Symphony Orchestra Berlin plays is a different work than the "Third" symphony performed by Szell and Cleveland. Both recordings are the "best" recordings of the "Third" symphony.

21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Probably the best Jupiter on record IMO. :righton:

22. A Great Recording

WGM-8221 / Mono / Westminster Gold Series "Imported from the Soviet Union" Recorded in the U.S.S.R. by Melodiya ABC Records, Inc. 1973

Beethoven: Concerto No. 5 in E Flat Major for Piano and Orchestra

Emil Gilels, pianist

Symphony Orchestra of the Leningrad State Philharmonic "Collective of Merit"

Kurt Vanderling / conductor

Please Take Note: "This recording has been preserved in its original form - it's uniqueness can never be replaced...Therefore we have not electronically augmented the rarity of the performance". This disclosure is found on the upper left hand corner of the record album.

Review: Exciting Performance. Gilels pounds the heck out of the piano keys. Notice what is left of the piano as shown on the album cover. Ha.
    What does, "Collective of Merit" mean on the record label? The hand written matrix number is (?) 1 X - 1 T K

Attached Files:

• 1A.jpg
      1A.jpg
      File size:
      28.6 KB
      Views:
    • 1B.jpg
      1B.jpg
      File size:
      27.9 KB
      Views:
  23. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Kurt Vanderling = Kurt Sanderling, no? I would love to track this down on disc if available.

24. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Or Art Vanderlay? :laugh:

25. Attention: SBurke and Doc. VanHooser The Mono Recording listed earlier is much better than this recording in regards audio quality. Performance is also brilliant but a slightly slower pace. I like the Mono LP.

Beethoven:Concerto No. 5 in E Flat Major for Piano and Orchestra
    Emil Gilels, pianist
    Orchestra ??? Conductor ???

Melodiya CTEPEO 33C 01803 - 04 Stereo Recording.

Is there someone who can translate Russian, to obtain the name of the Orchestra and Conductor used in this recording. This LP was given to me as a gift many years ago during my travels.

Attached Files:

• 2A.jpg
      2A.jpg
      File size:
      35.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2B.jpg
      2B.jpg
      File size:
      25.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2C.jpg