Amazon.com has some CRAZY CD PRICES right now!!!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Cozzie, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That's very close to what I ended up with :

Ordered: 47
    Received: 5
    Cancelled: 42
    Amazon Credit: $10

Not too bad, after all it was kind of fun following all the drama and initial exitement <which was almost certainly doomed from the start>, and this thread has received almost 40,000 hits so far! :laugh:

2. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

A supervisor told me once the on hand stock had depleted no more orders would be filled because they could not get new stock from manufacturers at prices low enough to fulfill the remaining orders.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

That's the kind of thing a CSR would say. But it's both true and beside the point.

They lost money on every CD they sold, whether in stock or not. And they have, in the past, had loss leader sales for which they subsequently did fulfillment where the sourcing was above the sale price.

They only sold stock on hand because only stock on hand was available to go into the warehouse fulfillment stage before they could stop the orders. THAT is the end of that story. Orders that were neither canceled nor shipped immediately were those that were in the "shipping soon" stage when the cancellations were being performed and that, subsequently, changed status, i.e. fell under the cancellation radar.

The following is a situation that aptly proves the fallacy of the CSR's contention: A buyer purchased several different cheap titles, using budget shipping (i.e. all items held until all were in stock). Since their order would not go to the "shipping soon" stage, even if most of the order was in stock and available to ship, their entire order was ultimately canceled. Not just the parts that would have to be ordered/replenished. But the ENTIRE order. It's easy for Amazon to cancel just part of an order, and they do so with regularity. But in this case, assuming the entire order was not yet in fulfillment, they just canceled it all. In other words, they didn't cancel just the parts they needed to restock.

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:D

Ordered: 0
    Received: 0
    Cancelled: 0
    Amazon Credit: They credit me with spending a lot of money at their various sites.

5. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

They finally cancelled six orders that I had outstanding with them and, in response to an email expressing disappointment that they had strung me along with these six (after having cancelled others earlier in the process), they provided me with a $30 credit. All in all I probably got two-thirds of what I ordered so I really can't complain.

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

True enough. I did not participate and it was even exciting for me at the start.

7. I hope people realize the credit being given out are largely one-time allowances per account. Each customer has a limited amount they are apportioned to be made happy by the customer service, if something goes wrong.

8. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I also hope that Amazon realize the money being given by me to them is also finite. There are other fish in the sea and I can certainly take my business elsewhere. This was THEIR screw up. I thought I was buying CDs that were on sale. It's unfortunate they don't feel obligated to honor their part of the transaction but I certainly don't feel one tiny ounce of guilt for asking for a credit for the inconvenience.

9. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Hey, same here! If this episode makes Amazon realize (like everyone else) that selling CDs isn't worth the bother, we won't be to blame. :laugh:

10. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

If that is true I'd still rather have it now than at some indeterminate point in the future.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Right, because there are lots of other choices in terms of competitive selection and price, and who will honor a ridiculous mis-price sale, like...oh wait, there aren't.

And all the crocodile tears shed here over big bad Amazon not honoring their price mistake in full...yeah, right. I am sure that if you listed a $3000 item on eBay or Craigslist or SH.tv or Amazon for $30.00, by mistake, and someone "bought" it before you had a chance to correct your mistake, that you'd honor the "deal". Yeah, totally sure.

It's annoying, perhaps. But you win some and you lose some, and if you didn't know going in that this was a price mistake, you should have...I got some of what I ordered, I had other parts of my order canceled. So it goes...They owe me nothing.

12. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I still got my credit, so I'm all good.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'm sure people who had their orders canceled during the unusual second round of cancellations are thrilled to hear it.

14. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

That's why I posted it, I wanted to let them know. :D

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

All 11 CDs shipped today and will arrive tomorrow.

So, this is what happened:

* I originally ordered 47 CDs.

* 28 CDs shipped immediately.

* 8 were cancelled. I called to complain and got a $50 credit.

* 11 were delayed multiple times. After complaining twice via online chat and once by phone, Amazon gave me the 11 discs for free.

* So Amazon shipped 39 CDs of the 47 CDs I ordered.

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Ordered: 27
    Cancelled: 27
    Amazon Credit: Zilch

17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Hire Keith as your attorney.

18. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Ordered - 10
    Received - 8

I couldn't be happier. I'm not complaining to Amazon. 8 great discs that I've been putting off buying. Jayhawks, Uncle Tupelo, Dennis Wilson, BAD...:) Good Stuff.

19. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

That was my tally as well. On the positive side, I have learned a lot about the policies of Amazon in the case of a pricing error since following this thread. I wished I would have kicked up more of a fuss when they incorrectly priced and then cancelled the Kinks box set.

20. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

Ordered 26 and 13 shipped yesterday and the others were cancelled.

21. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Ordered: 5
    Cancelled: 5
    Amazon Credit: 0

Ordered and Received from
    matched price Marketplace seller : 1 :D

22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Now that's a good idea

23. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

My final tally:

Ordered: 64
    Received: 38
    Cancelled: 26

I didn't call to complain about anything. I ordered my discs and sat back and waited. Most of my order was delivered. It's all good.

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Very well put. I'm sure Amazon appreciates your silence. :righton:

25. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

Ordered: 20
    Received: 8
    Cancelled: 12
    Amazon Credit: $30

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.