Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Come Fly with Me (recorded 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 11, 2009.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Yup! Sinatra's first two stereo albums had techie issues. On a Les Baxter album, that might be forgivable, but for Frank or Nat? I'm guessing people were "talked to," to say the least!

Matt

2. Ray7027

Ray7027 Senior Member

The other three albums are:

Come Dance With Me
    9 O'Clock Label W1 - 1069 - D5 #2
    W2 - 1069 - D9 #2

Point of No Return
    12 O' Clock Label W1 - 1676 - D4
    W2 - 1676 - D1 #2

This Is Sinatra!
    Gold Starline Label T1 - 768 N36
    T2 - 768 N35

Like I said all are from the Scranton plant with the old style logo in the deadwax as seen
    in my picture earlier.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah, someone's bottom hurt after that. 1961, eh? On the shelf for a heck of a long time; Sinatra's most popular album should have been out there in 45/45 stereo in 1958, one of the first. Must have been tearing their hair out that they couldn't release it then; it would have given Capitol Stereo a bad name. Wonder what happened in 1961 to make them change their minds?

Matt, etc., be sure the discographical take number info I gave you above gets to the official documentarions of Frank Sinatra...

McLover likes this.
  4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Great info, thank you Steve. Interesting that they noted the distortion on there.

Re not releasing this in stereo until 1961, I've wondered if they decided to finally do it because Frank was leaving Capitol and wanted to milk all they had, distortion or not. Why not have stereo "spread its wings" (as it said on the back cover) on this album?

McLover likes this.
  5. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Nice score! The matrix info is super close to my two copies:
    (yellow label promo)
    W1 - 920 N2
    W2 - 920 D4#3

(gray label)
    W1 - 920 N2
    W2 - 920 D3

Weird that it's that way on all three! Anyone have LA ("D" cut) side 1 gray label?

6. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

Thanks so much for this 'distortion' list, it matches my findings on listening so at least I now know that I don't need to buy every version to find something without distortion as it's on every release except the mono.

On a technical note the distortion sounds like a mic pre-amp to my ears and not a U47, I'm a recording engineer and very familiar with the U47 and that is not the kind of distortion I've heard from that mic and to my ears it sounds like amplifier type distortion.

7. Steve Hoffman

Bad mic Amp for sure.

McLover likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

I believe that is exactly the case. After all, COME FLY WITH ME was the most popular Frank Sinatra album of all time. They filtered the noise as best they could during mixing and mastering but I bet no one complaned back then. Stereo playback was still crude and the Hi-Fi nuts probably thought their own needle was causing the distortion.

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It was close (71 weeks on Billboard album chart), but ONLY THE LONELY and COME DANCE WITH ME were probably more popular (120 and 140 weeks, respectively). It's amazing to consider that all three albums and several others by Sinatra were all on the charts nearly simultaneously in 1959.

11. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

I have to agree with Steve in the sense that "Come Fly With Me" was almost always available on vinyl. It was constantly re-issued while the other Capitol LPs drifted in and out of print and sometimes were out of print for decades.

12. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

Yes. I have a D6/D5 gray and an early 9 o'clock rainbow which is a D2 #2/D14.

Jayson

13. mikrt17

I've just managed to buy the British 'Capitol Years' box set and the first disc I played was 'Come Fly With Me' not only did the sound immediately blow me away but the distortion didn't appear to be there or if it was it had been worked on at Abbey Road, now a thought had occurred to me that this British mastering was from duplicate copies of the original Capitol masters which were reduced from three track in the 50's through tube technology which may have disguised the distortion in some way and when the new remasters were made from the three tracks through digital technology the problem is more apparent. I have heard many nice things about the British box set on this forum which is why I went looking for a set and I can't believe how great these CD's sound ......rich open sound, plenty of depth and presence without being harsh and no noise reduction making the sound muddy, I recommend this set highly and certainly the best I have ever heard these Capitol masters.

14. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Good for you, mikrt17!. The 21 cd EMI set is a great one-stop-shoping option for purchasing good sound quality Capitol Sinatra. The other is the MFSL LP set, but the EMI set has more titles.

Enjoy!

15. mikrt17

Thanks rangerjohn, yes it's superb.

16. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

17. mikrt17

Thanks for the link to the Capitol score card rangerjohn, very interesting I shall be using this as my guide.

18. MLutthans

I've posted two new samples, on this page. (If you are a Sinatra nut and have forgotten how to access this, PM me, please.)

In the MONO LPs section, I've added a clip from member Chris R from a 145-gram original German mono pressing, and in the STEREO LPs section, I've added a clip from the 1970s red-label SY-series. (It's a little more than half way down the page, just above the "My Thoughts" section.)

Have a listen! Comments are welcomed!

Matt

19. MLutthans

I think Pete may have had a typo (or two) on the list. Doesn't MANDALAY have a full ending (with the gong), while LONDON BY NIGHT has a fade-out?

Matt

20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I picked up a Scranton "D13" gray label of "Come Fly With Me" today for $10 that is a beauty! Listening to it now and have yet to hear any surface noise.
    And for a 13 the sound is balanced and warm and rich.

21. Beech

Beech Forum Resident

As far as I can tell, the least treacherous option on cd it the Walsh. Is this the cat. no. CDP 7 48469 2?

McLover likes this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

The gong cuts off. It needs to be faded down by the operator.

23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, that's it. Get it, if you haven't.

24. Beech

Beech Forum Resident

Thank you, I did get it and just listened to it. The first thing that grabbed my attention was the vocal on the title track ... it seems different to me but I can't explain why on one listen. There were a couple of other tracks I felt the same about but again, I don't know exactly why. On a couple of occasions I thought it was a different vocal take to what I remembered.

But I'm being extremely picky! Overall it's a great sounding album and my absolute favourite track is "April In Paris". :thumbsup:

25. Steve Hoffman

No different vocal takes but it's a unique mix with a bunch of extra echo, sometimes to mask the distortion in some of the music tracks. It's a good mix but more compressed than it needs to be (a small criticism).

I play the original monaural version of this album now, it's really the only one I can stand to listen to any more. I need to have the instruments on mike in my old age. Those faint marimbas or bells or whatever drive me crazy now in stereo.