Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #34)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John S

John S Forum Resident

Back in thread #21, I posted something on Shchedrin.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=6179501&postcount=280

The disc I cite there is from 2L, an audiophile label out of Oslo. They have a particular point of view regarding multi-channel music:

http://www.2l.no/

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD from my Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

3. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Wow! Wish I was there, report back with reviews.

4. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

Hi there, I can help a bit but it's been a long time since I've studied Russian (or Ukrainian)! The handwriting at the top is actually the composer and piece. The works are by Boris Lyatoshinsky (Wiki has a listing). Both are symphonic poems. The first entitled 'Grazhina' is Op. 58, the second is entitled 'One the Banks Of the Vistula' and is Op. 59. Both performances are conducted by the composer. I'm afraid I can't pin down the orchestra though... It's listed as the 'Derzhavin Symphony Orchestra' from the Ukraine but I can't find a reference to such an organization. What's the music like? Btw, it looks like Marco Polo recorded his symphonies as well as the Grazhina piece (spelled Grazhyna though).

5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Gladly!
    |
    The first evening was yesterday in a sold out hall (the empty seats in front of me as you will see in the photo belonged to a family with kids that left immediately after the first applause with kids asleep) . It started with the rare Saint-Saens 'Septet ' for trumpet (Nakariakov), cello (Maisky) , contrabass (Capogiannis) , 2 violins (incl. Capucon, Petrova) , viola (Bashmet) and piano (Kapelis). This is a delightful Suite with 4 movements played by a very happy ensemble.

Of course everybody was anxious for the following masterpiece work: Schumann's Piano Quintet this time with Argerich on the piano and Maisky-Bashmet-Capucon-Petrova). This time and as was obvious by the fiery opening theme, Martha ruled all the way with her powerful presence (where she gets all this energy from is a thing to wonder; a force of nature as often stated) and very fast tempi all the way. I cannot imagine a more involving and rewarding performance of this and any other work in general. Perfect.-

The 2nd part started with Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante for violin, viola and orchestra, KV 364, featuring Capucon, Bashmet (with conducting duties as well) and the Camerata - Orchestra of the Friends of Music a local privately funded ensemble that is totally bankrupt due to the dreaded greek economics - Martha offered all her compensation for these 3 concerts to this orchestra in order the musicians to get paid since they are not paid for some months! What an artist and human!. The orchestra started a little bit out of context, but after couple of minutes everything settled and we enjoyed it a lot: Capucon's ton is very convenient and sweet; Bashmet is tops as expected.

Then Martha returned for the final work, Shostakovich's PC #1 with Nakariakov on the trumpet and Bashmet on the podium. This was a ride to hell with some jazz in between! No words can describe her playing. Art Tatum in skirts! She offered the final part as an encore. Nakariakov was in the front at the side of the podium. His nice part was played with humor and style= trumpet allows for some liberties in this respect. This was a long evening and following backstage greeting and autographs went till after midnight!

Tonight we go back for another longer evening:

Mozart's Variations for 4 hands (Martha, Kovakevich)
    Ravel's Oye (Martha, Bakopoulou)
    Shotakovich concertino (Martha, Bakopoulou)
    Mozart Piano Cto KV 456 (w Kovakevich)
    Schumann Fantasiestuecke (Martha, Maisky
    Kabalevski PC #4 (Kapelis)
    Haydn Cello Cto #1 (Maisky)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Hello MKOLESA:

Thank you so much for providing so much and interesting information regarding this 10 inch LP that casually I picked up at a local thrift store. Wow. How does the music sound. Very modern, almost film type music. I will listen to it again today, and give you a better review. We are all lucky to have SHMF members like you, who gladly share and are able to translate foreign made recordings. Wow.

You and Professor Vanhooser are in the same fabulous "groove" of knowledge.

Sincerely, Long Play Fan.

7. crickbob

crickbob Member

8. Hello: MKolesa

I just finished listening to Boris Lyatoshinsky Tone Poem: "On the Banks of the Vistula" Op. 59. I plan to listen to Op. 58 later on today.

Op. 59 sounds like a typical Patriotic piece, with brass and horns punctuating the melodic string and woodwind sections of the orchestra. There are a few climaxes with lots of fever.

There are "footprints", or hints of Rimsky-Korsakov, Borodin, Dvorak, Glinka, Khachaturian, Mussorgsky, and of course Shostakovich.

The piece ends without any fanfare or climax.

Once again, thanks so much for translating the Russian text into English.

Cheers, a very grateful Long Play Fan.

P.S. Sailing on board DV Glomar Challenger for the Deep Sea Drilling Project, we had several Russian scientists cruise with us. I received several Russian pressed LPs from several of them, which I still own.

9. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

Thank you for the note Long Play Fan! Always glad to help and I do enjoy doing some sleuthing. Besides, this was a chance to brush off some rusty Cyrillic skills! By the way, I actually visited the USSR back in the day as a university student and recall piles of inexpensive Melodiya recordings that could be had, so it's not surprising that some recordings were offered to you as exchange gifts. It sounds like you've had many adventures yourself though, being aboard the Glomar Challenger! Kind regards.

10. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

I haven't studied Russian but I was quite intrigued myself and tried to decipher the Russian text using Google translate (pretty laborious too copying one letter in at a time!), didn't get very far though. What slightly puzzles me is the text using the letter I (exactly like its Roman equivalent) which according to Wikipedia had been discontinued by 1918?

11. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Mikhail Pletnev, Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie
    Haydn: Piano Sonatas [1988]; Piano Concertos [1995]
    Virgin Classics, 7243 5 61881 2 9, 2001, 2 CDs.
    Engineer: Mike Hatch, Sonatas; Mike Clements, Concertos.

The piano concertos are very enjoyable for a Haydn fan such as myself. Pletnev's interpretation, touch, dynamics and timing are very much worth hearing. I believe that is an understatement.

PletnevHaydn.jpg

Ironically it is the piano sonatas that were recommended in a Penguin book. They were recorded at an earlier time with a different engineer -- Mike Hatch. The performances are very good --I think. First the piano is bright. Then the engineer was a little too far away in my view! Mainly, you have to listen through the hall reverberation. Or as Ted Libbey similarly stated in his review of the The Decca Sound box' 50th disc (the last disc), "It makes a splendid impression if you can get over the extra-reverberant acoustic of Winchester Cathedral, where it was recorded."

12. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Not a problem buddy! :righton:

I don't make a lotta moolaa so I'm a thrifty shopper.
    Whats saved can buy another CD! :D

13. Tangledupinblue

What Haydn sonatas are on that? (If you could list by Hob numbers and key, that would be appreciated)

14. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

hi there, you're very brave to be attempting something like that! what you're actually looking at is ukrainian which uses mostly the same cyrillic script, but with a couple variations (including continued use of the letter i which has the same sound as the russian u)... the composer and title of the piece is written twice, once in russian and then in ukrainian, and then the recording information is given in ukrainian.

15. Hello again: Professor MKolesa

Yes, indeed, we had lots of adventures sailing to many exotic ports of call.

Two voyages full of good memories were in the Black Sea and in the Ross Sea, in Antarctica.

They are excellent examples of our diverse scientific voyages "Around the World".

On one Leg we had Prof Vasily N. Zhivago, from the Institute of Oceanology Academy of Science.

Several DSDP technicians and US scientists provided our "guests" classical music via the "audio cassette" format in those days.

The Beatles, Mozart, and Beethoven were favorites among our "International Scientists" on board.

Hence, it was Russian Scientists' who actually introduced me to USSR LP recordings of classical music.

Once a Russian Scientist handed me a commemorative postage stamp as a gift.

The Stamp is now 39 years old!

We were sailing into port via the Panama Canal.

Glad that you were able to actually visit the USSR.

Cheers, Your Long PLay Fan

Attached Files:

16. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I have seen that CD many times in stores, but never grabbed it. I love Brendel and Richter's Haydn sonatas. I need to get some of Haydn's piano concertos, though. I don't think I have any.

17. Rmac58

Rmac58 Member

18. John S

John S Forum Resident

Mmmmm..Schumann's Piano Quintet...must get one soon....:righton:

19. George P

This one is nice!

[​IMG]

20. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, a recent arrival and the first recording by Uchida for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

21. John S

John S Forum Resident

On its way and thank you!

You are a very funny man.

22. George P

:wave:

:edthumbs:

23. coopmv

I really do not feel I am a big fan of these works at this moment. How do you like these works, George?

24. Tangledupinblue

25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Why can't I find LPs like that in used bins?:cry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.