Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #34)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Tough to tell, it is so random. Mood has no effect. I would say maybe 70% rock, country, metal, jazz, etc and 30% classical. Whatever seems to pop into my head gets played. :cheers:

2. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I am at about 70% classical, 15% death metal, 5% country (e.g. Johnny Paycheck), 5% jazz, and 5% 80's pop.

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I haven't been playing much classical music as of late. A lot more jazz. But I always have upheavals in my musical taste—I could go back to classical music anytime. But lately jazz has been on the radio a lot. This has happened before, I've been turned to one genre or another.

4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

These days I am at 50% 80s pop, 40% other pop/rock and 10% Classical.

5. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I bought one of these for my birthday last week, Meridian F80. Already watching less TV, usually just news anyway, but I think I will be listening to the radio more. Got the RED!! Playing lots of Sammy Hagar, hehe.

Attached Files:

• f80.jpg
      f80.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
  6. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

NP: [​IMG]

7. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Not a CMC regular but follow the thread, in the last month I have gone from 5% classical listening to 15%. You guys are doing something right.

8. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Very interesting to see the varied responses so far.

This actually would make a good poll for the next CMC thread!

9. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Also not a CMC regular, but have been lurking quite a bit over the past few weeks. I go through periods where I listen to an artist or genre pretty much exclusively for several weeks or months. Usually it has been rock or jazz, but right now it has been Classical (in the broadest sense). I'm not sure what happened, but one day I decided I wanted to listen to all the classical CDs I had in my collection (a paltry dozen or so), and looked at Amazon to see about expanding my collection. After looking at some of the mega box sets currently out there, I settled on the Decca Sound set, and have been listening to it non-stop, in order, since it arrived (currently listening to disc 17, Renee Fleming and Georg Solti, and liking it more than I had expected). At this rate, it may be several months before I listen to any rock or jazz again!

10. Does anyone on this Music Planet enjoy this sort of Long Hair Classical Music: I sure do!

Hoffnung Music Festival Concert: 1956

Royal Festival Hall, London, England

Live Recoding of the November 13, 1956 concert.

Introduction byu T.E. Bean, General Manager of Royal Festival Hall

FaneFare: Frances Balnes: Trumpeters of the Royal Military School of Music

A Grand Grand Overture: by Malcolm Arnold

Concerto for Hosepipe and Strings (3rd Movt Only) " Leoplod Mozart

Concerto Popolare (a piano concerto to end all piano concertos) Franz Rueizensten

Introduction by Gerard Hoffnung

Masurka No. 49 in A mnor, Op. 68, No. 2: Chopin (arr. Daniel Abrams)

Lochinvar: Humphrey Searle (for speakers and Percussina (words by Walter Scott)

Variations on "Annie Laurie" Gordon Jacob

ANGEL RECORDS 35500 MONO 1956

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      37.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      50.6 KB
      Views:
  11. More Long Hair Classical Music

The Hoffnung Interplanetary Music Festival 1958

Live Recordings of November 21st and 22nd 1958

ANGEL RECORDS 35800 Stereo

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      33.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      31.3 KB
      Views:
  12. One more: Long Hair Classical Music LP

The Hoffnung Astronautical Music Festival 1961

Festival Anthem: Introduction Music Played in the Foyer

Overture: Leonora No. 4

Duet from the Comic Opera: "The Barber of Darmstadt"

Ballad of Country Down, Mostely in D Major

Exerpt from "Belshazzar's Feast"

Horrortorio

Mobil for Seven Orchestras

ANGEL RECORDS 35828 Stereo

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      47.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      46.5 KB
      Views:
  13. Regarding The HOFFNUG Music Festival Concerts:

Has anyone on this form listen to all three records before?
    Are these three live concerts avaialble on CD?
    These are excellent live recordings with lots of laughts!
    The Orchestra, solosits, and band members are great and funny!

Sadly Gerard Hoffnung died suddently in 1959.

Cheers,

14. drh

drh Talking Machine

Just as a heads up for those still planning to post to it, the classical artists blind comparison thread poll timer runs out in just about 24 hours. :eek:

15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

you're fortunate to have all three.did you find them together or at different
    times?i've never come across them.looks like Amazon has them on a 2-CD set
    for $19.41 plus shipping.

16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Deutsche Grammophon 2530 906,released 1977.recorded at George Watson's
    College,Edinburgh,8/31/75 (Oboe Concerto & The Lark Ascending,with the
    English Chamber Orchestra) & Orchestra Hall,Chicago,3/22/77 (Tuba Concerto,with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra).three very pleasing virtuoso pieces.the Tuba Concerto is a lot of fun,the Lark very beautiful,and the Oboe Concerto a bit of both.

Attached Files:

• 172.jpg
      172.jpg
      File size:
      44.9 KB
      Views:
  17. Claude

Claude Senior Member

2012 is Debussy year (150th anniversary), and many "complete" editions will be released. The one by Deutsche Grammophon, compiling recordings from the Universal Classics repertoire, will be hard to beat in terms of quality.

[​IMG]

Many reference interpretations in top sound, most of them from the 1980's/90's. Pierre Boulez, Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, Zoltan Kocsis, Claudio Abbado, etc. Here's the detailed content:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/DG/4790056

The 18CD set officially costs 73€, but Amazon.de is offering it for 51€

18. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

My ratio is 70% Classical 10% New Age/Neo Classical....10% Jazz/Big Band and 10% Rock or whatever they call it today.

New Age/Neo Classical = William Orbit....Dead Can Dance....Steve Roach...ect

Rock/Whatever = Red Hot Chilli Peppers....HooverPhonic....Pink Floyd....Nirvana....Green Day....GaGa....ect ect

19. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Looking down the listed contents, I realize I already have many of these same performances,which I brought on various occasions, Now, for someone not in the same situation, this Debussy box is worth looking at, as a very tempting buy, It contains many memorable efforts. :righton:
    Perhaps other big box editions of Debussy performances from other companies will turn up where I do not already have the majority of their contents. Fingers crossed.

P.S It was a few recommendations on this forum here, that spurred me to buy the Brilliant Classics set of the pianist Byron Janis, Verdict: I LOVE IT!

20. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Awesome! He's a spectacular pianist. :wave:

21. Collector Man

My listening ratio is 95% or more classics / the other 5% used as 'a time -out breather' : some Broadway shows, film music, some funk and mod jazz,

22. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

It strongly varies for me, but I'd say classical now makes up about 30% of my listening. It has very much increased over the last 2-3 years and I'm sure it will keep on doing so in the years to come. This thread has played an important part in this development.

My musical listening comes in phases. Sometimes I listen to nothing but classical music for a few days, but then I might go a week or two with nearly no classical music at all. When the mood strikes me I can listen only to a single artist/band for a few days (like Prince, Tom Waits or Calexico).

23. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Right now I'm almost through this 2-disc-set of Bach's Cello Suites by Yo-Yo Ma.

[​IMG]

24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I had a Best of Hoffnung LP years ago - from time to time I thought about getting a CD, but nowadays, I'd be more likely to see if there's anything on MOG or Spotify.

Love Flanders and Swann though. I think Donald Swann participated in one of the Hoffnung concerts.

Have you heard the Portsmouth Sinfonia?

25. Collector Man

Indeed! What I found staggering, was how Janis brought his own unique signature to a work. I was gobsmacked to hear what I consider his most special gift - that most telling ability to spontaneously 'on the spot' judge, adjust, balance, and control various levels of sound modulation in the 'inner fabric' of various works. Even in the most daunting furious and complex passages at any given moment..And, done without the slightest hint of stress, anywhere. That unmistakeable highest level of artistic achievement that Janis possessed: a performer either "has it or they don't" .:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.