List/Discuss 70s and 80s Australian Bands

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

Just read today that Aztec has gone into receivership. What sad news - they are such a great reissue label. I have the first Masters Apprentices album and a whole swag of Lobby Loyde reissues. Aztec certainly did wonderful packaging. I always wondered how they would have covered their costs with such lavish packaging.

I know from firsthand knowledge how the Half A Cow reissue cds sell. A whole lot better than any of the current releases do. In fact, some of the cds such as the Missing Links (60s) and Eastern Dark (80s) have sold 3000+ which is fantastic for me in this age of low cd sales. Purple Hearts, Wild Cherries, Someloves and Python Lee Jackson haven't done that well - especially locally but all the reissues do better on export than locally. This would be mainly due to the stores that could stock them (through my distributor) don't bother.

Itunes sales of the reissue releases are up amongst the top sellers of the Half A Cow catalogue. And I reckon half the time it the original fans from the 60s diggin' on their iPod.

And I love the 20 minute-plus phone calls from these original fans who ring up with their credit card number ready and then go on to tell me stories of the old days!

Back to topic: Skyhooks, Triffids, Saints, Lighthouse Keepers, Mental As Anything, X. My faves.

2. belushipower

Completely ridiculous! I have a six cd Easybeats box (Yes, the German mastering etc) and NO booklet, NO recording info. Why didn't they take just a little bit of time (heck, I would have got my reissue team to do it!) to put something together for it. The greatest Aust 60s band and poorly reissued. Shame, Alberts, shame.

3. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

its too bad:sigh: did not like the mastering on the albums though very compressed on most releases

4. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

The Saints were one of the truly GREAT punk bands. Their first two albums (I'm Stranded and Eternally Yours) are outstandingly brilliant. Vastly overlooked when punk is discussed, those albums are as great as anything from that era. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Who? :D

6. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

lol angel city reminds me of Dragon becoming Hunter for the US.

7. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Didn't Sherbet become Highway or something. Came back to Australia and used the American name. Never had another hit. Changed name back to Sherbet and broke up.
    If I remember correctly:D

8. belushipower

Don't forget they also changed their name to Sherbs !

9. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

See I forgot:D

10. normanbterrier

normanbterrier Forum Resident

Though I think they became frustratingly inconsistent too quickly, the first two albums by the Hoodoo Gurus changed my life. I still remember where I was when I first heard I Want You Back on the radio here in Boston.

Norm

11. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Wasn't it because the record company thought Dragon sounded too much like the name of a heavy metal band?

...unlike Hunter :rolleyes:

12. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

yeah thats right :righton:

13. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

The Kevin Borich Express.

14. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

Kahvas Jute - Wide open

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thank you for remembering the fantastic Mackenzie Theory.

I fully recall a brilliant concert at the University of Queensland, possibly 1974. Rob Mackenzie was a stunning guitarist and the interplay between he and the woman on electric viola just took you on an incredible ride. Those were some really wonderful nights.

16. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

I saw The Dugites supporting Dave Edmunds in Perth. They were great, so I bought the album, but it's no longer in my possession.

Did Hunters & Collectors crack a mention? I once borrowed the Cut album and was really impressed. Must get that on CD.

17. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Need to also call out Louis Tillet, a true talent who never got the recognition he deserved.

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

And ... they leave out the Friends album even though it's licensed through Alberts to Repertoire in Germany.

19. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Louis Tillet is so criminally underrated , it drives me nuts
    Wet Taxis , his first band , were great too

20. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

The only disc of his I have is the excellent "Ego Tripping At The Gates of Hell" ( Citadel Records Australia CGAS 802 CD, made in WG). A great talent.

22. Matty

Matty Forum Resident

Looks like no one's mentioned Flash and the Pan ("Hey St. Peter"), which featured two (and later three) former Easybeats.

23. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Lots of great bands mentioned, but let's not forget to mention pre-Hoodoo Gurus bands the Victims and the Hitmen.

Also Bored and the Eastern Dark.

24. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

And there's a TON of great Aussie 90s bands too!

25. andythiing

andythiing Forum Resident

Want some aussie blues talent from tht era then get yourself some dutch tilders :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.