List/Discuss 70s and 80s Australian Bands

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

They were really like a 'special project' rather than a working band. A studio side project - definitely a product of the studio. Australian music prided itself on the 'live' in the pub authenticity. A lot of overseas acts were judged accordingly when they toured here.
    Vanda and Young created the Hard Road Lp for Stevie Wright, and they really made that a music of the pub and the street I think. But Stevie Wright was too far gone for them to take it further. His song Evie is our Stairway To Heaven.

2. Cozzie

Cozzie Forum Resident

And that's how it should be everywhere! :righton:

3. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

Those original cds do sound fine, I have all of them.

My Australian Crawl, JoJo Zep, Midnight Oil and Skyhooks titles are all vintage vinyl.

4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

True. Lot's of listeners on here would more than like this stuff.

5. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

the original Icehouse cds have the best mastering not loud and compressed.

6. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

I've never had the original or any of their stuff to be honest. I knew one song by them (Electric Blue) and that was it.

7. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

No Way, Get ****ed, **** Off!!!

8. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Good call. The debut album on CD is well worth the few dollars for which it sells. :righton:

I'm gonna throw Colleen Hewett out there as well. Her debut album is very much underrated IMHO. Great tracks such as Day By Day, Carry That Weight, Superstar and Stay With Me Baby, all of which I think are great cover versions.

9. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Dragon are Kiwi's, and before people mention:

Split Enz and Crowded House are both kiwi bands too.

10. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

:eek:

Does that include The early Thorpe and Aztecs stuff like "Poison Ivy" and "Sick and Tired"?

11. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

The Twilights are from the 1960's

EDIT: could a gort combine my 3 posts into one post to tidy it up a bit? thanks

12. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

With regard to Dragon that's true, but did Dragon not live, write and record all their music in Australia.

13. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I remember reading somewhere that CH consider themselves an oz band as some members are from Australia and they formed in Melbourne. Of course the most important member by far is a kiwi.

15. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

yeah seymour was the best song writer! Lol

16. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Ahhhhhhhh hahahahahaha.

17. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

I've got to admit being mirth-stricken when I heard a whole room erupt with this at a wedding (and Darryl Sommers being a bit shocked when the audience shouted this when they came back from a Hey Hey It's Saturday ad break with the house band!).

18. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

The first one, Stoneage Romeos, is one of my all-time favorite albums - has been for almost 25 years. Their most recent one (Purity of Essence) has it moments also. They need to come to the States!

19. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Wow!!!! My mouth is watering for that one. If any band deserve the box set treatment its The Birdman

20. paulisdead

Although a fair point (a post on 1960's Aussie is in order!!), has anyone here seen the pilot for the Monkees style show that they were going to do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1_5A5tVhms&feature=youtube_gdata_player

21. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

They have material on a slightly higher level, don't base the band's music on one "radio friendly" hit.

22. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

23. paulisdead

Upon reading your post, I got my **** down to JB HiFi and bought the Aztec 2 disc Masters Apprentices set.

24. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

25. public image ltd

public image ltd Member

As far as the Oz public is concerned, the Gurus actually became more consistent after they moved away from that early garage-psych stuff and started churning out pop hits like "Come any time" and "What's my scene?". As far as I'm concerned, they were one of those bands (like Midnight Oil) that I liked less and less as their popularity simultaneously increased. Basically, I feel they hung around too long, but I would definitely be in the minority there.

I saw the Gurus headlining last month at the DigItUp show in Sydney and frankly thought they were upstaged by a number of the earlier acts. Crowd favourites of the day (as measured by the applause meter) had to be the Sunnyboys, but the two bands that I thought were gobsmackingly under-rated were Red Kross and the Sonics. Their records simply not do them justice, so points to the yanks for that. And points to the Gurus I suppose for their continuous sponsorship of both the Flamin Groovies and Red Kross. On a more critical note, I couldn't believe how cheezy and repetitive the Fleshtones were, given their reputation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.