Audio Fidelity new 24 Kt Gold CD of "Crosby, Stills & Nash" Review: Veil Removed!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Ain't scared of Analogue tics....... Comes with the territory......... :D

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

To expand upon my "analog tics" question above....

I heard a similar noise on a recent remaster (different band / label) that wasn't on any of the previous CDs, including one from the mid '80s.

I went back to the original vinyl (MONO '60s) and the tic was there, though not as noticeable. However on a subsequent vinyl compilation (also from the '60s) the tic was gone. How'd they do that?

3. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Perhaps the CD was done from a tape copy of the master done before the damage occurred on the original or perhaps they physically edited it out of the copy, or spliced in something else. IIRC, wasnt that what Steve did for his DCC Aqualung? Added a bit of tape from a different version or something?

Besides, does anyone even still use NoNoise? I know it's still around but there are various tools to fix these kinds of little glitches in the digital domain that don't do the kind of damage the original NoNoise did. Heck izotope's RX could easily fix it.

4. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member

I don't know if this has been discussed,but i just got this disc two days
    ago and on track Nine-Long Time Gone-the very fist two seconds of the
    track i hear a click or something is this on the master tape or is my cd defective?

Can someone please confirm master tape or defective cd?

Thanks.

5. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Just want to agree with some older "veil" posts, listened to it yesterday---"Helplessly Hoping" is just absolutely stunning. My jaw dropped when I heard it. Way to go Steve.

6. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of the album but one of my all time favorite songs is "Wooden Ships" (I also like the Jefferson Airplane version). I bought this CD just for that song and was not disappointed. It is the best I've ever heard on any format I've owned. Stills is at his very best. Thanks for a great job!

7. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Sent an email to Mr Blonstein today concerning AF's CSN S/T gold cd re-pressings, no more! Grab them while you can!

Hi David:

There will be no more pressings on the CSN/ST. The 5000 unit numbered limited edition is our call, not the licensing label.

Thanks for the interest.

Marshall

So Marshall CSN S/T is officially retired then?

David, when we officially announce the title retired, that's when it is
    retired.

Marshall

8. MikeP5877

Master tape. I hear it on the Diament and the CSN box set as well.

9. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

It's there on the Diament CD, but less pronounced. Apparently the removing of the veil also exposed tape flaws more audibly.

(Note: I have not formed my assessment for the AF versus the Diament CD, they surely sound different but not sure which I prefer.)

10. If they've finished off the last pressing, I sure hope the pre-paid order I put in at Barnes & Noble, and which is supposed to be delivered sometime this coming month, doesn't suddenly get canceled...

11. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

My thoughts as well with my J&R Music World order which is supposed to be shipped on 4/12.:confused:

12. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

Music Direct has this in stock; for those looking for it.

13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

14. Robobrewer

Thanks for posting. I placed an order last night after I saw this, just to be safe.
    I really don't want to miss out on this release!

I got a shipment notification a little while ago. So, if J&R Music World eventually does send me the one I ordered from them I'm sure I won't have much difficulty selling my extra copy at some point; especially because I don't intend to gouge anyone.

15. MikeP5877

I'm still amazed that my library has a copy. It's been checked out for awhile though.

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yeah, I know, my library has many rare SACDs! :eek: (and that's how I get to listen to many of them)

17. Robobrewer

That's great!

My library is very disappointing compared to others I have used in the past.
    I was amazed however, when I found the latest Nightwish CD there and judging from it's pristine condition I think I was the first to check it out.

18. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

I ended up keeping both Barry's mastering & Steve's. The both have their unique charms. The only other version I had was the 2006 remaster with the bonus tracks & those didn't do a whole lot for me personally. (Besides, I have the GH CD anyway - same sound.)

I'm hoping we will soon hear some news from AF on the CSN front. I'm not holding my breath for Deja Vu, but would love for Steve to do Daylight Again & CSN.

19. spencer1812

spencer1812 Forum Resident

20. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Yep, just ordered as well.
    I can't believe this is already out of print. We'll see if it's better than the 1993 Atlantic gold disc, which I always thought sounded fine. Everybody says it is so I'm expecting good things!

21. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

It is better...definitely a total different sonic experience! :righton:

22. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I ordered this when it was first annonced and received a few days before Christmas. Have really enjoyed the CD. Reminds me of the first time I heard this album back in 1969 or 1970.

23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

Only better.

24. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Ordered as well thanks for the heads up as i definitely didn't want to miss out on this one and the ebay prices are creeping up!

25. spencer1812

spencer1812 Forum Resident

Good News... I received my shipping conformation this afternoon. 1 ordered... 1 shipped...

Mike Spencer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.