List of quality DUALDISC you have heard?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by love4another, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. love4another

love4another Forum Resident Thread Starter

So far i have heard

Nine inch nails with teeth
    Usher 8701
    Jamiroquai Dynamite

I am looking to buy some more ideally in surround. I thought Ushers 8701 sounded suberb btw; great sounding vocals in the center(heard about 5 years ago on quad l ite surround set with onkyo amp).

2. Back in Black....Rough mix

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

All the Talking Heads. The Chris Bottis are good as well.

4. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I have the Bjork Dual disc box set which is fantastic.
    Back in Black AC/DC is great.
    Another good one sound wise is Geoff Tate s/t (2002)
    Bowie Reality on Dual Disc sounds as good as the SACD.

5. love4another

Rough mix is the option on menu or the mix is rough?:D

Simon A likes this.
  6. Townsend..Lanes Rough Mix

AZRunner and rd1 like this.
  7. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

The Björk's "Surrounded" boxset is all dualdiscs and it is good.

8. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Back in Black Dualdisc is stereo only and sounds the same as the remaster (super compressed). I would avoid.

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

wasn't it established a long time ago that the words "quality dualdisc" are an oxymoron?

Simon A likes this.
  10. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

It's been a long time but there are a couple tracks on the Rob Thomas solo release (don't recall the title) that absolutely blow me away. Tasteful/natural surround mix that's 'in the room' and a mile wide.

11. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

just got the dualdisc of Depeche Mode "Ultra" on, it seems good

12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

:D Yes, I just analyzed Talking Heads-True Stories DD
    Redbook and 24/96 stereo -DR-8
    5.1 24/96-DR-11

Not sure on the other ones(Talking Heads) as this is the only one I own, buy them if only looking for the multichannel

13. c-eling

Ultra was only released on sacd or/and dvd-audio, the dual disc is the format where it has 1 disc but playable on both sides :)

14. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Brothers In Arms.
    American Beauty.

15. Ronm1

Ronm1 Forum Resident

Almost Like being in Jazz - Hugh Masakeka StraghtAhead

16. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

The dual-discs I own are cd on one side, dvd-audio on the other.

The Black in Black dual disc has 16/48 stereo only on the dvd-audio side, so avoid it.

I have:

The Wallflowers - Rebel, Sweetheart
    Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet

17. love4another

What's SWW like?

18. c-eling

How is The Wallflowers? Worth getting?
    NIN-The Downward Spiral multichannel's great with a pretty descent DR

AZRunner likes this.
  19. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

ok, how come it plays as a regular cd as well?

20. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I only have heard/owned 3 dualdiscs.

Excellent:

Brubeck Time Out - may even be a tad better than the SACD. An incredibly rare/scarce and pricey disc and although the sound quality is great the now also expensive SACD is much easier to find and for a lot less cash.

AVOID:

Dire Straits Brothers In Arms - while a bit less horrid than the 20th SACD the sound quality on this uber brickwalled disc is awful. This has becomes a somewaht rare and costly collector's disc to find but if you value your money you'll do much better by forgetting this waste of aluminum even exists.

AC/DC Back In Black - some of the extra's are cool but the sound quality on this uber brickwalled disc is rather putrid. Don't beleive the web ciruclating review conducted by "burnouts" "Metal heads", etc.

Even though this one is not yet super expensive, why spend the extra money on it when you can get this album in great sound for $5.00 or under with the original US CD...

BTW remember some transports have issues with Dual-Discs.

21. ElevatorSkyMovie

The stereo (both cd and dvd-audio side) is compressed. I don't have 5.1 capabilities, but I have listened to the 5.1 downmixed to stereo, which is a better listen.

I mostly got it because it was the same price as the regular remastered cd at yourmusic.com. At some point I hope to have 5.1 capabilities.

22. Sadly, the Talking Heads ones sometimes have problems with the CD side for those interested in ripping it to their hard drive (and some exclusive material) because it's not "Redbook". My CD drive had problems reading some discs.

Thank God Dualdisc died. If they had made the CD side Redbook compatiable in all cases I think it might have had a better chance (and if SACD wasn't around and even HDCD).

The DVD layer of the Dualdisc for the Head's has footage for the band from various TV appearances as I recall (and a concert appearance with the Adrian Belew version of the band recorded for the tour that eventually was issued on "The Name of this Band is Talking Heads" album) and that is quite cool since I missed them on that tour (I was living in Southern California around that time IIRC and life was...hectic and I was poor). Always regreted it since THAT is my favorite expanded line up of the band.

Did see one of the shows that became "Stop Making Sense" though.

23. ElevatorSkyMovie

If you like the Wallflowers, yes. The stereo cd and dvd-audio layer is very compressed. I like to listen to the 5.1 downmixed to stereo.

24. As far as I know, no "Ultra" DualDisc or DVD-Audio exist. I own "Ultra" on DVD-V and know WEA/Rhino released a US DVD-V/CD set and believe there was a PAL Region 2 CD/DVD-V set. I would like to see the claimed DualDisc and DVD-A but I don't think anybody can produce them but I would love to be wrong. The SACD/DVD-V set is the best option.

As far as DualDiscs, I own dozens and have no problems with any of them as far as the DVD side is concerned but I have players that have problems playing the CD side which I don't bother with in any event. The best ones I own:

Björk - Surrounded (7 albums CD/DVD-V)
    Talking Heads - Brick (8 albums CD/DVD-A)
    Townshend/Lane - Rough Mix CD/DVD-A

There are also many others I own and play a lot.

25. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Anne Murray - I'll Be Seeing You - 24/96 DVD-Audio - 5.1 - sounds superb, excellent material

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.