A Beatles knock-off from 1964 and the Eels from 1996?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by crapfromthepast, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crapfromthepast

crapfromthepast Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I borrowed a Beatles knock-off album from a friend and was transferring it to CD for him, when I discovered something that's likely unknown to the pop music world.

The 1996 pop hit "Novocaine For The Soul" by the Eels has an obvious sample at the beginning of the song, and even includes the ticks and pops from the record that it samples. There are various sites on the internet that credit it as being a Fats Domino song, but I discovered that it's not Fats Domino. (I don't have the full Eels CD, so I can't easily check the credits.)

It's actually a song called "She Knows", buried as the next-to-last song on Side 2 of the album Beatle Mania, obviously from 1964. The artist is credited as The Schoolboys on the front jacket of the record, The Liverpool Moptops on the back of the jacket, and just The Moptops on the record labels. The album is on Palace Records, catalog number M-778. Aside from the producers of the Eels song (E, Mike Simpson and Jon Brion), I am probably the only person since 1964 to play Side 2 of this album.

I have sound clips to demonstrate:

the first 29 seconds of the Eels' "Novocaine For The Soul" (1996)

"She Knows" by the Moptops/Liverpool Moptops/Schoolboys

The cover art for the album is astounding, even for the Beatles knock-off records. It prominently features cartoon likenesses of John, Paul, George, Ringo and... a sax player? (Five guys in the band???) Plus, the text on the back of the album is definitely worth reading.

I have to thank the owner of the album for letting me borrow it and not selling it to me. Had I actually bought this from him, I would never have felt compelled to actually play it, and would certainly never have played Side 2.

The needledrop is from my Technics 1200 with a fairly new Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, played through my ART USB phono preamp, and diced to size with Cool Edit Pro. I didn't make any attempt to clean the record or clean up the sound.

This will all be gleefully documented on the radio show next week. (Crap From The Past)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I love those corny old supermarket "Beetles" records and have almost every one. Some are even listenable!

3. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

The one by "The Buggs" is the best. (IMO)

4. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Very cool story! I love that Eels song...

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Agreed! They were actually a "real" band called the Pacers.

[​IMG]

6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Yeah nothing in the credits except for a sample in Susan's House from Gladys Knight and the Pips, pretty cool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.