Audio Fidelity new 24 Kt Gold CD of "Crosby, Stills & Nash" Review: Veil Removed!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whatnow?

whatnow? Forum Resident

Cool. You're in for a real treat! :righton:

2. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Thanks! Ordered and shipped!

Craig Williams likes this.
  3. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

4. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

5. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

How could you have known tho, right?

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

7. Trainspotting

You couldn't have known, of course.
    Lesson to be learned though.

Now if I could find those AF Deep Purple discs for a similar price...

8. Myke

Psssst...Elusive Disc. :shh:

9. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I ordered and mine was shipped yesterday, music direct! Looking forward to hearing it soon!

10. Trainspotting

Weren't you the guy who mentioned this the other day?
    The only one they had was Fireball and it was $40.

11. Myke

They had them all not long ago, musta sold 'em all, solly cholly.

12. Trainspotting

Well, they've still got Who Do We Think We Are? for $30 but I've already got that one.

13. Myke

And I remember checking everywhere else, back when I started my thread about Machine Head still being available...guess they're only available in Crazy Price World these daze...bummer.

You should post a WTB thread for the Purples you desire. Can't beat the listing cost.

14. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

15. Grunherz54

Grunherz54 Forum Resident

I placed my order with J&R for Crosby, Stills, and Nash on March 17th. The initial shipping date was March 19th. The shipping date was constantly pushed back and was April 17th as of last night. I was very happy- and surprised - to get a shipping confirmation today. I can't wait to hear this one!

16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'm a bit late to this CSN party, but here are my listening thoughts- the AF disc sounds fantastic and is one of the best versions I heard. I did a comparison to the Classic Records 200g (not the later Rhino reissue) and an -F/-F cut AT/GP LP. Tonally the gold CD is closest to the Classic vinyl. The AT/GP vinyl is a bit duller all around with not as much attack or bite.

Overall one of the best sounding AF Gold discs I've heard, even eclipsing my prior favorite (Bad Company first album).

17. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Interesting finding there because the -F/-F Piros is the version with MORE attack and bite IMO. I do agree though that the AF CD is similar in presentation & balance to the Classic vinyl. In fact - as I listened to & compared them, I thought the CD is really the digital equivalent of the Classic.

This is on my system and the system of the forum member who wrote the Fremer review. The Piros is a bit different; there is some compression to it. Cranked up the Piros sounds closer to a live performance....it has a beefier 'wall of sound' quality while retaining the same sense of detail, and sounds more cohesive, like a band jamming live. The Classic/AF sounds more 'audiophile' to me in that there is a little more openness to it; the instruments are all out and separated more, with the vocals slightly more predominant or 'forward'.

I don't consider either one better per se, because of the differences. Some people may prefer one, some may prefer the other depending on their system and tastes.

18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'll give it another listen and try for better volume matching. I definitely agree that there is a touch of compression that make some GP cuts give them some of that charm.

19. spencer1812

spencer1812 Forum Resident

Wow... Received mine last night & you're right a real treat. Then I put on the Rhino 2006 re-master. Then I ejected the 2006 Rhino re-master. I'll list that on Amazon tonite when I get home. To coin a phase... It's like hearing the album for the first time.

Mike Spencer

20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Just ordered mine tonight off of Amazon. Sold by Amazon, not an independent seller, for $25-ish. 1 left as of 11:38 p.m. EST

21. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

You can order CSN at DVD Pacific now for $17.08, they got a fresh shipment in. I just order from there.

22. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Just ordered mine from a reliable Amazon Marketplace seller (BlowItOuttaHere) for $16.49. REALLY looking forward to this one! And very glad to see these weren't gone for good!

23. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Got mine today from a 3rd party on Amazon #4641.

24. houston

houston Forum Resident

ordered mine 3 days ago on Amazon....from Amazon, they showed in stock, $22.88....order says "shipping soon" still, and only Amazon sellers are listed now, not Amazon itself....wonder if Amazon really had it, and where they are going to get the copy they send to me....and if I really will get it? :confused:

25. Asgard

Asgard Forum Resident

Mine arrived yesterday #4400. Beautiful sound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.