Any Orbital fans on here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JeffMo, Apr 14, 2012.

1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic Thread Starter

The album Wonky is already out in UK. Does anyone on here have it? Anyone catch them on the current tour. Setlists include 7 new songs and 7 classics.

According to Loopz forum there will be a North American release this week (April 17).

TurtleIsland likes this.
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I really like the single with Zola Jesus. I'll probably pick this up for sentimental reasons. I have all the albums and many singles/eps from "Chime" through "The Altogether." My good friends also did remixes for "Are We Here." There's enough melody in a piece like "The Box" to probably even win a few fans here.

3. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

Big fan of Orbital back in the day, have seen 'em live in Oz, though I started to lose interest around The Middle Of Nowhere.

I didn't know there was a new CD coming out ... will have to check it out.

--Geoff

JeffMo likes this.
  4. JeffMo

Nice avatar Geoff - I'd say you are a fan. In sides is my favorite album by those guys. They got back together for a new best of release called "20" to celebrate their two decades of making music, and had a new two track single that I picked up off itunes. To be honest, I didn't like the single too much but the best of had some rare tracks and new remixes that I did enjoy.

Take care!
    JeffMo

5. Synthfreek

6. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

I'm a fan. Haven't bought the new album yet.

7. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

I did! Saw them in Manchester. Not taken with the "Wonky" material - haven't bought the album and nothing I heard at the gig made me rethink that decision - but I'm seeing them again in December in Preston. :goodie:

8. JeffMo

The version on iTunes is the deluxe with 5 bonus live tracks from Australia 2010 tour. So far I'm really enjoying it, though I must confess I hate the Wonky title track!

9. mneuliep

mneuliep Forum Resident

A fan here. I've got Wonky and so far it feels uneven to me. A couple of good tracks and the rest, meh. But I'm still listening because sometimes these things grow on you.

10. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

The first two albums were a HUGE part of my high school days. I also liked In-Sides but after that I quit paying attention. It seems that electronic music in general just didn't do it for me after the year 2000. I'm now going back and finding a few things I missed but for the most part I still think the best electronic music was from the 90s.

11. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Orbital did some great remixes for Madonna's "Bedtime Story" and "Secret" back in 1994.

JeffMo likes this.
  12. Synthfreek

You need to come over Jason and we can check out my post-2000 highlights. You know I love the 90s stuff but there have been some really great albums this past decade. I even did the chore of listening to all the crap to get to the good stuff. I think you'd love the Kettel and Secede albums that came out on Sending Orbs.

13. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

LOVE Orbital. Saw them live AGES ago, at least 15 years. "Adnan's" and "Halcyon" I can still listen to and get the same excitement all these years later, however I too lost track of them after "In Sides". I need to check out this new stuff.

14. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Figured I'd toss this here rather than on the Marketplace: I accidentally (don't ask) ordered 2 copies of the deluxe 2 CD edition of Wonky. Seeing as this is somewhat hard-to-find stateside, any US Hoffmanites wanna take this off my hands for $20? PM me if interested . . .

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Just picked up In Sides
    (which i've had on cassette
    for years) on cd with bonus
    disc

16. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

'The Box' is a stunning piece of music. Saw them at Glastonbury back in the day. Truely magical...

coniferouspine, JeffMo and Scope J like this.
  17. Synthfreek

I picked In Sides out from my racks last night to listen to on the way to and from work today. What are the odds?

JeffMo likes this.
  18. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Fantastic album. Big fan of that CD. What's on the bonus disc? Worth getting?

19. phish

phish Jack Your Body

20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

worth picking up if you don't
    already have those eps

2-1 Times Fly (Slow) 7:58
    2-2 Sad But New
    Vocals [Uncredited] – Alison Goldfrapp
    Written-By – A. Goldfrapp*
    7:29
    2-3 Times Fly (Fast) 7:53
    2-4 The Tranquilizer 6:27
    2-5a The Box (Radio Edit) 28:11
    2-5b The Box (Untitled Version 1)
    2-5c The Box (Untitled Version 2)
    2-5d The Box (Vocal Reprise)
    Vocals [Uncredited] – Alison Goldfrapp, Grant Fulton

JeffMo likes this.
  21. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

I only know one song by Orbital but I absolutely love it, play it regularly and featured it prominently in an amateur video I produced:

"Halcyon + On + On"

22. JeffMo

Did you get the rare bonus disc with the four part full version of "The Box", or the crappy (and far more common) US bonus disc that has mostly live tracks.

Edit: you just posted the good news. Congrats!

Scope J likes this.
  23. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Love this song. Hard to believe it's been twenty-four years since it was released.

CaptainFeedback1, hutlock and JeffMo like this.
  24. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Insides is one of my favorites of Orbital.

JeffMo likes this.
  25. JeffMo

I'm sort of surprised we haven't seen a deluxe reissue of the Brown album yet. Maybe all the vault material went out already on things like Diversions EP? I would think there should be some more Peel Sessions or something.