The Band "Music From Big Pink" & "Stage Fright" MFSL hybrid SACD & DCC Gold dilemma

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tank

Tank New Member

Most here will probably say the AF and I'd probably agree, but the original Capitol is also very good.

2. Pureprairie1972

Pureprairie1972 New Member

Moondog and Islands sound teriffic on the Japanese Pastmasters CD's.

Seek 'em out. They're the best digital versions IMO.

3. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

I was wondering how the original CD release was regarded. I have a possible line on that CD.

4. pmckeeaalaska

How is the original Japanese CP21-6026 CD of the S/T album regarded on here?

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I don't have that, but I do have the Capitol CP32-5417 JPN. I regard this as the equal of the AF.

As a tribute to Levon Helm, I'm listening to The Band tonight. "Big Pink" (MFSL) is playing at the moment.

6. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Thanks for the tip.

"Moondog Matinee" I have the original Capitol CD and the remaster. Another one of those titles I used to have on 8 Track back in the 70s to play in the car. :)

7. pmckeeaalaska

Well, I just got a near mint copy of the S/T album from the original Capitol CD for $8. Hope it sounds OK, as I really didnt want to pay the $60 that the AF version was going for on ebay!

8. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Thank you Steve and all others who posted some real neat information on this thread. I couldn't resist, and just snagged me a Gold disc off EBay. RIP Levon, your music will surely outlive all of us.

9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Played my MFSL SACD of STAGE FRIGHT yesterday and it's terrific. I have the DCC gold CD and the Capitol Records CDs plus a Japanese mini-LP sleeve CD, too, but haven't compared any of 'em.

RIP Levon.

10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I concur. Great SA-CD.

11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I play in the memory of Levon Helm "Forbidden Fruit" and "Ophelia" from the (amazing) MFSL SACD of "Northern Lights - Southern Cross".

RIP.

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Great choices!
    Add "Ring Your Bell" and you're there.

13. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

14. btombaugh

btombaugh Member

Did the MFSL SACD come with a booklet? Mine didn't, but all of my other Band MFSL SACDs did.

Thanks!

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Nope.

16. pmckeeaalaska

I just got the original CD release of their S/T album and it sure does sound sweet to these ignorant ears. I would love to get the AF copy, but I'm VERY happy with the quality of this CD for the $8 I spent for it. It's also the first album by The Band I've ever owned. What a revelation my first listen through was. The way I felt listening to it is the reason I love music so much. I felt 100% transported back in time and almost forgot where I was while the tunes played. Levon was something else. Singer and swinger all in one package. What a huge loss.

Edit: this album was enough to convince me to order "Big Pink" and "Stage Fright" onn SACD. Time to buy another rack for my CD's!

supermd likes this.
  17. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I've finally got my Hands on a copy of Steve's AF CD for £35 ($56.79), it's a bit more than I wanted to pay yet cheaper than other prices I've seen so I grabbed it while I could. It's by far the best CD version of this great album, well done Steve!!

18. Still learning...but I have listened to the CD layer of the "Big Pink" MOFI SACD and I hear some slight pops here and there. I also here the same things on the SACD of Let's Get It On and the Marshall Crenshaw SACD. When I first hear these I thought it was just tape noise. How can you tell?

19. MusicalHeaven

MusicalHeaven Well-Known Member

How intrusive are those clicks? I'd like to get this but I won't be getting an SACD set up for a few years at least and I'd at least like to enjoy the CD layer.

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I like both.

21. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

They're only really noticeable on headphones, I can live with them for general listening, but YMMV.

22. The MFSL SACD's of the first and third, 'Northern Lights/Southern Cross' and Steve's AF 'The Band' are all worthwhile. I had high hopes that the MFSL SACD would help me like 'Cahoots' more. Nope! The album is still a clunker. The well had really run dry for Robbie Robertson on this album. :(

23. pmckeeaalaska

Does anyone know who mastered the Big Pink SACD from MFSL?

24. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

My copy says Shawn Britton on the back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.