Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #35)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

It's the DG "Signature" series that was also issued on chrome cassette.
    I bought a few back in the day.

2. Dear Professor:

I have the following Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 "Eroica", conducted by

Leinsdorf, Boston Sym, RCA Victor LSC-2644 Stereo (1963)

Monteux, London Sym, Philips Festivo Series, 6570 204 Stereo

Amsermet, Swiss Romande Orch, London STS 15464/9 Stereo

Bohm, Vienna Philharmonic, Deutsche Grammophon R 205040 Stereo

Szell, Cleveland Orchestra, Columbia M7X 30281 Stereo (1970)

Toscanni, NBC Sym Orch., RCA Victor LM-6901 Mono (1958)

Von Karajan, BPO, DG, 2740 172 Stereo (1977)

Von Karajan, BPO, DGG, SKL 101 (March/1964)

Walter, Columbia Sym. Orch., Columbia Odyssey Y7 30051 Stereo

Lucky for you, you found an excellent recording of Symphony No. Three!

Quote, "But I enjoy the elegance of Giulini's approach"

Hopefully one day I will come across this version.

I only have this LP as reference to his great conducting style:

The Philharmonia Orchestra

Carlo Maria Giulini:

Stravinsky: The Firebird - Suite (1919)

Bizet: Children's Games

Ravel: Mother Goose - Suite

Seraphim Angel 60022 Stereo

Quote, "This tall, slender young Italian from Milan's La Scala has sensitivity, imagination and skill, and he has that extra enkindling thing, the Promethean gift of fire." Claudia Cassidy, Chicago Tribune.

I will now listen to my only reference LP of Giulini today!

cheers, Long Play Fan.

3. drh

drh Talking Machine

Ooops--the link that I posted earlier won't let you beyond the first entry in the thread. Here's a better one:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=283624

And oh, by the way: now that the IPO is ended, I'll reveal here that the work in question is Scriabin's Etude in d-Sharp, op. 8 no. 12. Enjoy!

4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Listening to disc 1 for the first time.

I just bought a used version of the DG 111 55 CD set. I didn't buy it when it was out because I already owned some of the CDs. I decided I couldn't pass it up for $125.

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD, another post-Christmas arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

6. coopmv

I have this wonderful twofer. :righton:

7. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Not right away, but the white, underlined link at the top gets you there.

8. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Looking at the complied 'oh so british' list of releases,. one is also struck not only by its very typically fossil- enshined views but by some outright screamers. Take Strauss 4 Last Songs with Von Karajan and Gundula Janowitz's perculiar 'tubular' sound, or that same composer / same conductor's cut performance of Der Rosenkavalier, starring the (by then) tight over focussed voice of Schwartzkopf under the auspice of 'Studio Legge'. Am I being biased...since I have 32 of the 50 selected listed recordings including those two works described above? Many of those recordings listed are now totally dated, quint curios : cocooned in either limited 'soft cotton wool' sound or alternatively perhaps,sound like a sharp box over the ears with a tambourine, on cresendos. Some also, are but mere signpost references or document examples of various eras and historical performance mode changes, in recordings. Hanoncourt 's Bach, Hogwood's Handel etc,

9. Collector Man: OMG!

I can feel and hear you volley of canon fire flying over the Pacific, and over Southern California on it's way over the Atlantic Ocean. Kaboom! Bang!

No, it is not North Korea or Indian this time around!

Once again, you pointed your artillery "across the pond" and into one of those sleepy garden tea parties hosted by the Mad Hatter!

In my opinion Gramophone Magazine is full of "turkey" Baloney, and just good for reading in the "water closet". ha.

I love your choice of words.

Cheers, Long Play Fan....

10. RIMSKY-KORSAKOV SUITES: CHANDOS CHAN 8327/8/9

This is my only humble collection of Rimsky-Korsakov related Opera music.

I purchased this CD box set from Tower Records in 1984.

Wonderful Performance. Fantastic Sound.

This 3 CD box set represents suites from the following Operas:

May Night
    Snow Maiden
    Mlada
    Christmas Eve
    The Tale of Tsar Saltan
    Invisible City of Kitezh
    The Golden Cockerel

Collector man is sure lucky to have all of RK Operas. Wow.

Collector Man: what will be your favorite RK Opera once you listen.

Christmas Eve and Invisible City of Kitezh are one of my favorite suites from this collection.

Cheers, Long Play Fan

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      68.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      56.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      49.4 KB
      Views:
  11. coopmv

We are almost at Thread #36 ...

12. crickbob

crickbob Member

Hello --

Please don't take this personally, because it's not meant for only you. You've obviously been on the forum for a long time with so many posts whereas I'm a newbie trying to learn.

I see posts from you, and others, that mention what they're listening too at the current moment in time but there is no followup with regards to your thoughts about it, comparisons to other recordings you may have heard of the piece etc.

I don't want to step out of line here and if there is some moderator that wants to tell me I am please do so. However, it would be very helpful if you could tell us more than simply that you're listening to a particular recording.

I notice that quite a bit...... it's like - " Hey I'm now listening to this....." Is the protocol if I'm interested in your thoughts about what you listened to that I should chew up another post with that question? Or might it be easier for us newbies if you (again, not picking on you) could give us more than what you're doing at the moment. Sometimes I feel like reading posts here is like Twitter. Remember sir, I'm not just targeting you and mean no offense whatsoever it's just that when someone has as much experience as you (as I assume by the number of posts you have) I would love to hear more about your opinions of the piece.

Cheers - Bob

13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

as far as i know it's ongoing.last year they
    issued a well-reviewed disc of music by Joseph Schwantner.i haven't heard
    it yet,but it won a Grammy.

14. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

My Lilac's are about to bloom already!
    Almost a month early this year. CrAzY!

So must be time to give this a spin. :righton:

[​IMG]

15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

It is hard to beat that set. Some of those are the best on record IMO. :cheers::cheers:

16. Rose River Bear

A fabulous Hindemith disc. :righton:

17. Rose River Bear

Currently spinning this one I found for a buck. If you vinyl guys have seen anything like this please let me know. I cannot find any info on the cover variation. 100_2377.jpg

100_2383.jpg

18. coopmv

Now playing CD5, the last CD from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

The CD is the same as the following one.

[​IMG]

19. coopmv

RRB, now that you are in MA, you are actually spinning vinyl. I always thought you were a CD-only guy ...:winkgrin:

20. coopmv

This CD is actually quite good IMO ...

21. George P

Ok, I am going to startup the new tread, since we are so close.

22. George P

23. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Professional snooty Europeon magazine critics opinions have now been made virtually redundant. Reading and hearing of ordinary music enthusiasts very own experiences via computer communication, is of greater value. Finding out at times, about lesser known artists and orchestras worthy of equal interest, recognition and purchasing. Especially when for decades - even for half a century , those said critics engaged in straight out regional favoritism to the detriment of the cultural output of the rest of the World, It is like the precision and expertise of the Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Cleveland, the New York Phil.orchestras for instance did not exist. Yet, if it came to a review of some decidedly inferior previous unknown English composer, writing cow pat music that should have stayed in the paddock...or local choral work with county church pew- standard singers, it was praised to the hilt. To rub further insult in, most likely the rubbish was selling for premium prices And probably it got English cultural government subsidies to both finance and inflict it on the unaware , too,
    That process is still in existence in some recorded instances! Having a strange interest and near photographic memory back then, for record releases...off the top of my head,I could quote every known available recording from all the major labels of some work . ,....my head was a record catalogue! Don't laugh??!! :D
    This was the insane age of recording for the Europeon record producing system ... I can remember EMI had at least nine complete Beethoven Symphony Cycles of their own competing with each other....let alone those from their rivals. No wonder the whole operating model of these majors went 'bust' and there is so much endless masses of material being re- packaged in bulk lots at bargain prices. The magazines that still try to survive, reviewing a pathetic small number of new produced releases, must be a laugh riot when it comes time to somehow contrive their bestowed "Records of the Year" awards. Record buyers today, never had it so good: benefiting from the record companies many past sins and excesses. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.