Did anyone watch "Veep" on HBO?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve D., Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident Thread Starter

I scrolled through all the recent posts on this forum and found no mention of the premier of this comedy (?) show on HBO. It's no wonder. I could only handle about 15 minutes and moved on. A one joke show about the Vice President and her lack of being given anything important to do. Julia Louis-Dreyfus as the V.P. is aided by a staff of nervous morons. Nothing subtle here. HBO should stick to drama. In typical HBO fashion, the F word is used to extreme and becomes tiresome. I think a bunch of 20 something frat boys wrote this thing. The only good thing going with this show is that it is an eight episode run.

-Steve D.

George P likes this.
  2. tbone

tbone Forum Resident

It was a train wreck. It was not funny and the timing was bad. The Seinfeld curse continues.

Lightworker and George P like this.
  3. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Wow. I loved it.

'Course, I also loved 'In The Loop' and 'Alan Partridge', and a lot of this was the same kind of humor.

Also; Sunday nights are already far too densely packed already. 'Mad Men', 'Girls', 'Game Of Thrones' and sometimes even 'Bob's Burgers' - couldn't they find another night to air this on?

chodad likes this.
  4. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Not a patch on the UK original - The Thick Of It
    (a bit like The Office)

Lightworker likes this.
  5. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

Loved Alan Partridge, Seinfeld and Arrested Development but did not enjoy the first episode as much as I had hoped.

George P likes this.
  6. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Yeah, except for Dreyfus's previous series which ran for 5 seasons and won her an Emmy...

I thought the new show was excellent...

7. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

+1. I thought it was weak.

George P likes this.
  8. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I didn't think much of the first episode, especially since I had higher hopes for it, but it maintained my interest and scored a laugh or two, so I'll check out the second one.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Pretty good first episode. Man Anna Clumsky has grown up. I don't think I'd seen her since the first "My Girl". Who was playing the lady senator that the veep went to visit early in the episode? She looked familiar, but I couldn't figure out if she was an actress or a real politician.

10. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Who do they expect this to be appealing to? As a former Hill staffer, I "got" all the references but found it more than a bit lame. A lot of forced material. I just don't see how this sort of show has a broader appeal that would sustain a second season.

Maybe it'll get better.

ringosshed likes this.
  11. RandySchimka

RandySchimka Senior Member

It was Ellis Grey from Gray's Anatomy...

12. agentalbert

Three episodes into season 2 bump!

Anyone else here watching this? Tonight's episode had me rolling. Loved Gary Cole's "noodle analogy" and the Veep's reaction when they showed her the word cloud.

Pete Puma and xilef regnu like this.
  13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Gary is a very good pick up for the show...

I enjoy the show.....

14. Great and funny show. Love it. Gets is so right.

15. agentalbert

16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I enjoy a comedy that doesn't have a laugh track....

Show seems to get funnier as it goes along...

chrischerm and PHILLYQ like this.
  17. agentalbert

Amen to that!

18. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I know lots of Hill folks and this show rings true!

19. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

This week's episode was the best yet for this season.

20. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I wasn't blown away by the first episode, but from the second on I've loved it, and was happy
    to hear yesterday that HBO has renewed it for another season.

21. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I'm getting a kick out of the Gary Cole character flirting with Sue. Good move to have Jonah as a political blogger now. 'What is my position on ---?'

22. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

They need to bring back Congressman Furlong and his Assistant (piss-flap.) That guy was the best. Some great one liners in this show.

23. agentalbert

Me too!

Trying to remember who that is. Is "piss-flap" the tall goofy looking guy with the glasses who played "Robbie" on The New Girl? I don't know the actors name, but I've seen him a few things and usually find him funny.

24. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Furlong was the Congressman from Cleveland. Curly hair, but balding dude, with the tall goofy looking Asst w/glasses.

"This Piss-flap" comes from the episode where the Veeps staff go running with Furlong and his Asst. Furlong refers to his speed while running, and "Piss-flap's" response is priceless.

25. mep

mep Forum Resident

Great, hilarious and growing from joke to joke! I just watched the first season on Sky Atlantic HD and the next week I´ll continue with season 2. ´Did the president call ? I think the president´s avoiding me!´ Just classy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.