Ray Charles Live In Concert due on April 5

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeP5877, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

So will it be a remix like Sam Cooke's Night Beat and the Miles Davis SACDs (such as Someday My Prince Will Come)?

2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Oh man I am TOTALLY on the fence on this now. Do I want that great SACD sound, or the awesome bonus tracks? Or BOTH?!?

3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

you want the whole show..

4. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

If you're like me (and probably most of us here) you'll end up with both :shrug:

5. DJ WILBUR

yeah, well, there's always that...

6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

*sigh*

Sadly, I have a feeling you are right and that is exactly what will happen...

7. DJ WILBUR

ah, just get the whole show now so you can enjoy it...then decide...its only money...and this is Ray effing Charles live...gotta have it..

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I just picked this up; and the sound; as well as the performance are both top notch! :righton:

9. John Doe

John Doe Senior Member

It's amazing to me how great this tape held up after all these years. Somebody really, really cared about this sucker. Everything lined up perfectly all the way through the chain from the recording, to Ray and then popping out of your speakers. A true treasure......

10. Key Minor

Key Minor Forum Resident

It must have been 1966 or so when I bought "RC Live in Concert". A Dutch pressing, manufactured by Bovema, that was on sale for Dfl 11,90 instead of Dfl 18,90. It still has a sticker showing this. Over the past 45 years, I have regularly played this LP, washed it recently and it still sounds remarkably good partly due to the audience concealing surface noise. In the early nineties I picked up a bootlegged Italian Cd version only to find out that my old LP sounded better. With this new release, that I purchased immediately when it came out, this is no longer the case. It sounds great and the extra tracks are really a bonus, although their inclusion and the slightly different sequencing of the songs confuses me a bit after so many years. Knowing myself, I will probably buy the SACD and new vinyl releases as well.....

11. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

12. monkboughtlunch

The SACD from AP is not showing in stock at Acoustic Sounds. It's only the original album tracks though -- not the bonus material on the 2011 CD.

13. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Saw this in the shop yesterday, Kevin did it. Very tempting.

14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

What to do? I have been reading these threads and the sound of the 2011 is generally well regarded. SACD is the original 12 songs.

15. monkboughtlunch

It's like a Double FAIL. Concord didn't remix the whole show, only the outtakes. Then they spliced the new mixes with the vintage mixes -- and you can hear the difference.

AP uses the original album master. It would have been cool had AP remixed the entire concert (original album tracks and outtakes) in sequence from the 3 track reels -- just like the Sam Cooke Night Beat SACD.

It's like neither approach is really satisfying. But a couple of years ago, it looked like this title was never going to get a CD reissue. Apparently, Ray hated it. At least it is now available in digital form.

16. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

And I know that I am going to want the "whole"album. Maybe get the $10 remaster and wait for some reviews on SACD.

JohnGris likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ray did hate it, yes. Really disliked the entire thing. Why DCC never did it..

18. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Intresting the performance and recording sound great to me. Any insight on the hate?

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I believe he felt is was an off night for him. He owed ABC an album and couldn't come up with it for reasons we all know. At first ABC was going to issue a compilation of leftover tracks as ABC-500 but ended up doing the Wally Heider engineered live concert thing with the same number..

In case you care, the unissued compilation was going to be this:

"Ray Charles Sings For You" ABC-Paramount 500 A&B (mono and stereo) unissued:

My Baby Don't Dig Me
    Without Love
    The Brightest Smile In Town
    Hide Nor Hair
    My Baby, I Love Her So
    No One
    Don't Set Me Free
    Something's Wrong
    At The Club
    Worried Life Blues
    Who You Gonna Love
    My Heart Cries For You.

How close was this to being issued? Very close. Liner notes were written, artwork was prepared. At the last minute it was scrapped and the live album substituted. It would have been a nice companion to the Greatest Hits LP, all great songs on there, all eventually reissued with wonderful sound on various DCC CD's..

20. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I own "Uh Huh". Is there a list of the other Ray DCCs available?

21. rcg412

rcg412 Forum Resident

I don't contribute much, but read the forum all the time. Huge audiophile. Anyway, I picked up this SACD at the NYC audio show, and it may be one of the best RC CDs I have heard. The music, and the sound, are top notch. Highly recommended. Ross

22. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Thanks Steve! Very interesting to me too. Some of those I do have via various DCCs and the Uh-Huh comp, but not:
    My Baby Don't Dig Me
    My Baby, I Love Her So
    Who You Gonna Love

...am I forgetting a title?

Does the art exist?

Other titles off the top of my head:
    Genius + Soul = Jazz
    Greatest Country Western Hits
    Ray Charles and Betty Carter
    Ingredients in a Recipe for Soul

23. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I think "My Baby, I Love Her So" is actually "My Baby (I Love Her, Yes I Do)", which is on Ingredients... as one of the bonus single sides.

I can't think where the other two are found mastered by Steve unless I'm forgetting/missing something.

I'd love to see the original art for this cancelled LP :agree:

24. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Could be. :agree:

25. monkboughtlunch

Has anyone picked up the new hybrid SACD of this title? If so, how does the mastering on the CD layer compare with the same tracks on the Concord CD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.