Stooges - Raw Power: Legacy Edition w/ Original Mix!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulB, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejammy

thejammy Forum Resident

Did anyone pick up the Raw Power Record Store Day double LP? I'm interested to find out if the Iggy mix is presented with non-ear splitting mastering.

2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just finished listening to the new double LP, and I would say that the Iggy mix is great!! It is definitely louder than the original Bowie mix, but it is now presented without nasty distortion (i.e., no "digital" clipping).
    But remember, it was mixed to be "louder" - so for all intents and purposes it is louder, yet it removes the murky nature of the Bowie mix. Regardless of the extra loudness, which is part of the mix, it is now clear and distortion free (meaning unwanted distortion created by the mastering of the 1997 CD).

I really like the Iggy mix, it creates a more powerful, more dramatic presentation.

Personally, I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the new 2-LP set with regard to the Iggy mix.

3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Picked it up too. It's striking how different the two mixes are--especially on this vinyl release.

4. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

And how does the Bowie mix of the RSD released Raw Power compare with the Sundazed version of the Bowie mix?

5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Good question.

6. motorcitydave

Ok, I picked up the 2 LP set. I'm very happy with it. However, the Iggy mix record is off center and a bit warped. No big deal, I just thought I'd mention it.

7. Dave, was that a limited edition RSD release or just first-day RSD release?

What is a good price for the 2 LP set?

8. simonux

simonux Custom Title

Popmarket has it for 26$ with free shipping.

9. Thanks Simon. :thumbsup:

10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I can answer for you: it was a first-day. Pretty rad to finally have both mixes on vinyl in one package.

11. motorcitydave

Thanks. And yes it is...

I paid about $30 for my copy locally.

12. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

I got the 2LP set yesterday from Popmarket. I haven't had the chance really to crank it yet but it does sound pretty good.
    Appears to have been cut by Kevin Gray to boot.

13. motorcitydave

Yep.

14. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

After hearing someone's vinyl rip of the Iggy mix, I have to say I'm absolutely BLOWN AWAY! Who knew the Iggy mix could sound this good?!

2LP set = bought!

Thanks Kevin! I'm sure he had something to do with mastering this LP from a non-clipped master :wave:

15. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I love this album! Been listening to it for weeks in the car. It has some of the wildest vocals ever put to tape. Is he meowing on I Need Somebody and doing the baby voices on the song Penetration?

16. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I wish I could hear it too. I'm absolutely dissatisfied by what's available on CD:realmad:

17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I'm guessing this was cut from a digital source, but without the brickwalling that ruined the CD release. Is that the general consensus? (Apologies if I missed this in the thread somewhere).

18. motorcitydave

I would guess it's a digital mix.

19. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

And in ten years they'll release a 20/88 flac of it.

20. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Listening to the Iggy remix on the recent vinyl two-fer, and it sounds pretty sweet.

21. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Wow, finally had the chance to hear this remastered Iggy mix (thanks to all the people involved :angel:) and that is the way the recording should have sounded.
    Strong, raw, dirty, powerful without any brickwalling.
    Easily the best mix/master to this day. The Bowie mix is pale compared to this.
    I wonder why the **** they haven't included this on the Legacy 2 CD version.

22. thejammy

thejammy Forum Resident

oddly there were two tracks included on the deluxe Raw Power Legacy which was the first indication to me that the original Iggy mix on cd was totally botched with digital disortion because the two included tracks sounded great. But yeah you're right, the new 2 LP Iggy mix is the best way to hear Raw Power now.

23. sf74

sf74 Active Member

Just wondering if anybody's compared the Music on Vinyl double reissue from 2010 vs the RSD double reissue from 2012? According to Discogs, it's the same remaster but they have different matrix etchings. The packaging looks to be exactly the same from the pics I've seen but I'm curious to know if the 2012 reissue is better.

24. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

I listened to the 2nd Lp (with the Iggy mix) a few times tonight, I think the RSD version sounds more open.

RSD version has a slightly different cover than the MusicOnVinyl version: the RSD version has a red logo on the top left instead of a white one, and does not have "Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power" printed on the cover.

Booklet is the same.

25. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

Lots of love here for the Iggy mix but...How is the Bowie mix on the new vinyl? Was the same care taken with it's mastering?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.