Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2011-2012 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

For a 68-year old non-actor who had less than a week to learn a bunch of skits and then perform them live on national television at midnight? Yes, in that context, he did great. I have seen far, far worse performances on SNL by actual actors and comedians.

The music performances, however, I thought were outstanding. Especially loved the Foo Fighters backing to 19th Nervous Breakdown; you could tell Mick was empowered by the younger energy around him.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The Foo Fighters performance was the better of the three, I agree.

3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Good show to end the season with!

4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Watching this now. Looks like the strokes bass player joined arcade fire for last time.

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yes, that sure looked like Nikolai, didn't it?

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Both the Arcade Fire and the Foo Fighters did a great job. You could tell both bands were psyched to be playing with Mick. Shame the Stones weren't the musical guest, but the younger bands (and Jeff Beck) were solid.

7. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

He was ok. It's kind of sad that SNL has lost all of it's coolness as far as the show goes. He really didn't have anyone or anything to play off of.

8. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I was actually pleasantly surprised with his performance. If anything, I don't think the writers rose to the occasion.

Agreed. The sketch reminded me of something similar they did with Derek Jeter when he hosted a decade ago.

9. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Nah.

Sorry to break up the echo chamber, but SNL has had some of the sharpest political commentary of the past few years. And when was cool ever really all that funny? :sigh:

10. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

My favorite Jagger line was in his opening monologue, when he was answering the Mick Jagger FAQs -- "Who's your favorite new bands?"

His Answer: "Of course, the "Free Credit Report Band" -- :righton:

11. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

I was surprised and delighted by all three musical performances. I'm not the biggest Jagger fan; I usually give credit to the Stones' success to Keith Richards. But Jagger's fiery set with the Foo Fighters made me think: this is the way the Stones should be playing now. It's obviously not Jagger who's putting a damper on the rocking.

While I didn't think much of Jagger's 'blues' song, Jeff Beck was so great, I can't stop playing it back more than the other two. (Not to slight Arcade Fire - that was an energetic and inspired rendition of "Play with Fire" as I've heard but the strings and accordion were gratuitous IMO and cluttered the sound somewhat.)

The finale was also worthwhile, with the band sounding almost Rotary Connectionish.

In all, a surprising and delightful collection of performances. My PVR hasn't had this good a workout in a long time.

12. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

"Play With Fire"? You mean "The Last Time"...

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Thought Mick was great. Loved the karaoke sketch. "Move Like Jagger is the best Stones song ever!". :D

14. theseer2

theseer2 Formerly foghorn2

Best show in Years! Kristen is all talent and funny, I'm not sure I'll get into SNL next season without her. Rock and Roll lives- keep the Rap Crap off the show!!! As for Mick - what an entertainer.

15. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

The music was good...the skits, not so much, IMO. I'm just burnt on all the recurring skits.

It was pretty obvious it was Sudeikis and Samberg's last show as well...yet Wiig got the sole tribute. Strange and insulting, IMO.

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

As much as I love Wiig, Sedakis was the backbone of the show for the past several years. He was always funny in every skit he appeared in. He elevated the material and the performers around him. The fact that they didn’t acknowledge his parting makes me think he might be back. It doesn’t make any sense otherwise.

Sandberg got to toast himself in his self-congratulatory “digital short”, so he got a good enough send-off for me.

17. dirwuf

The problem SNL has always had with recurring characters is that they basically do the same skit and the same jokes over and over... you might as well watch a rerun.

One of the things the great SCTV did best was to put their recurring characters (Bobby Bittman, Johnny LaRue) in different situations...and even the ones they didn't (MacKenzie Brothers, Count Floyd), they varied the skits enough so they rarely repeated specific jokes.

18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Here's a write-up about the show from Yahoo!:

Link Here.

19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Kinda reminds me of when Tracey Morgan was left to holding up that sign on his last night: "Hell Of A Ride".

Yeah, it sucks when one talent has to grab all the attention deserved by others in the cast...in fact, it sucks all the respect out of the room (speaking of which, WHY am I not surprised Amy Pohler had to show her scene-stealing face onstage for that particular moment...).

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Alice Peacock - Baby Come Back

20. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The Digital Short hinted at Samberg's exit, but what made Sudeikis' departure "pretty obvious"?

21. dirwuf

As we've discussed upthread, Sudekis and his Romney impression will likely continue with the show (in some capacity) through the election...

22. Daniel Plainview

What about when he did that 'talking to himself in the mirror' thing with Jimmy Fallon?

I wouldn't go that far.

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Paging Justin Timberlake...!"

Now playing on Ariel Stream: DNA w/Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner

24. Daniel Plainview

That's some resume.

25. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

And the worst may be yet to come.

Thread Status: