"Quadrophenia: The Director's Cut": Official Press Release for Boxset (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Correcting myself here...

I was wrong about the 4:19 edit on The Singles (and 30 Years) - it isn't actually on the 1979 45. It would seem as if it was an edit specifically for that album, unless somebody can point to an earlier location of that edit.

The same mix is on the soundtrack, the 1979 45, and the 45 in the box.

Thus, the 45 in the box is *technically* a 45 mix, but it's still the 1979 mix, rather than the 1973 mix.

2. dee

dee Senior Member

There's the other Quad thread as well that includes posts about notes PT wrote that come out of the Q Cloud. As such I can't keep track of both threads, but re: Drowned, PT writes that the vocal in the middle 8 should sound as if it is underwater. There are, imo, only a few songs in the original mix where Roger's vocals are drowned, and Drowned is one of them. And like the 'distant' LROM section vocals in IHE, which again was PT's intention per his notes, at least part of the vocals for Drowned appear to be intended to sound 'buried' this way too. Of only a few, if that, of the remix(es) I prefer, Drowned is one of them. And that includes the guitar placement and instrumental balance and outro jam. Anyway, again in the diaries, Townshend notes of that vintage mix: "2 solos to choose from, final rave can be messy..."

A few other items I've read include PT referring to 'glitter echo' being used in his "my jacket's..." verse (for IHE, iirc) and again in Sea and Sand for the same, but for Sea and Sand he also writes what looks like "maybe leave my (?) voice naked" and there's the note again for the "END EDIT" "VOCAL 'LOVE'" notation that was previously posted.

Anyway, I find this all very interesting to read. Difficult for me to understand the shorthand sometimes, but fascinating and informative nonetheless.

3. dabl

dabl Senior Member

If anyone has a link to this or any other thread discussing Q Cloud content it would be appreciated.

4. dee

dee Senior Member

http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=268327&highlight=quadrophenia

Of course, the cd release gives you access to the site directly and to print some great photos and text from it as well. There's a lot of info to be gleaned from everything there. There's way more to be seen and discovered there (re: the content exclusive to Q Cloud) than anything that's been posted in these two threads

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Funny...I consider the Drowned remix one of the bigger failures. The original mix isn't necessarily perfect, but IMO Roger's vocal is too bare sounding on the remix. And...where's the piano?

6. dee

dee Senior Member

I dunno, I'll have to revisit them this weekend to get a fresh perspective, to get a clearer picture of my opinion about it. My recollection is I thought the instrumental separation was well balanced in the remix, for the most part, and sort of all over the place in the original mix (to the point where the end jam sounded out of time to me). Also, I thought the guitar interplay was perhaps more audible in the remix, which I like. Something fun to listen to and reevaluate. One of the constants, imo, of some of the remixes, is that the voice is sometimes too removed, and out front, for my taste, but I like the tone of the vocal too, in the Drowned remix. I think those two mixes of Drowned are different enough, imo, that I get a sense of the idea that I'm actually listening to two different performances, or two different representations of the same performance. Daltrey's voice in the original mix has a gentler, more delicate, and hushed quality to it, and in the remix, it sounds more robust to me. I'll see if I still feel the same way after another listen.

7. dee

dee Senior Member

Ok, wow, these mixes could hardly be more different! Glad we had those differing posts, Luke! The majority of individual tracks recorded for Drowned into the original mix sound to me like they are very nearly mixed to mono, or more accurately in narrow stereo, through much of the song, but with the drums in wide stereo. The remix is totally opposite that and really wide stereo throughout. And with the lead vocal efect in the original mix not present in the remix, these two differences alone are quite significant. Plus the noticeably present piano in the original mix having much less of a presence in the remix. But there's more. In the remix there is a very neat vocal ad lib with about 119 remaining in the song which is not present in the original mix. Also, there might, imo, be a missing horn track in the remix. It is I believe worth a measure, or perhaps relative to a whole note in 4/4 time, in the left/left-center of the original mix. I do not hear it in the remix. I am also curious about how much more music at the outro may have been cut from its end to go into the "come sleep on the bach" segue.

8. dee

dee Senior Member

Luke, I remember you posted before about the similarity between the title track demo and band recording. In the Quad book, PT writes...When The Who came to play on top of it, Keith replaced my drums, John replaced my bass, and I may have added a third guitar, but the same track as featured on The Who album consisted of fourteen performances carried over from my home demo.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There you go.

10. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

11. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

12. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

13. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

I waited and got the Leeds box on ebay for cheaper than retail and now it looks like I should have waited for this Quad box as well.
    Note to self: these super deluxe box sets will be available at a cheaper price if you wait.

14. John D.

John D. Senior Member

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm in for $91.13. Thanks for the link.

16. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Sold! Finally a somewhat reasonable price for this. Thanks Mistermono!

17. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Even at that price, I still can't bring myself to buy it. I've said it before, but the incomplete 5.1 disc along with new recordings on top of the old demos just make this worth much less money to me than it will ever sell for.

18. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Not only that - what there IS of the album in 5.1 isn't rated very highly, esp. over at the quad forum. Missed opportunity, I hear.

AND, as if this wasn't enough, the Japanese yet again figured out a way to dig into our wallets by coming out with a SHM, SHM-SACD, where DOES it all end?! :rolleyes:

I'm sticking with my trusty MFSL that I'm quite happy with.

I would like to have the book, though....:D

19. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I cancelled my order after checking my deluxe set. More than half the material of the box set is on the Deluxe set. I can't justify this amount either. :shake:

20. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I read through most of the posts on the quad forum. A lot of lower grades were due to the incomplete 5.1 which is understandable. A post quoted PT as saying there might be a full downloadable 5.1 release for those who had previously purchased the box.

Anyway, my box is out for delivery so I will soon be able to judge for myself:edthumbs:

21. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

this could be a good idea for Live releases to hopefully boost sales and convince them to release something.
    purchase any Live set from the multitracks and recieve a voucher/code to download one of the lesser quality/later shows from soundboard/mixing desk recordings.
    Sounds like a winner to me!

22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

All the way from Canada to NM in three days via DHL. This set won't cause me to retire my Classic Records 200g pressing but the price was right so I went for it. The book is good and I'm going to start with the demo CD later. It's a shame they blew it on the 5.1 release.

23. mandocase

mandocase New Member

Question here: I've seen some talk about a tap box dating from the 1972 "Rock Is Dead--Long Live Rock!" sessions. Apparently, an image of the tape box appears on the Q-Cloud page. I cannot access the Q-Cloud page, but I am very interested in said image of the tape box. Can somebody tell me what the track-listing is? What's the order of the songs? Any more information? Thanks!

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Relay
    Get Inside
    Love, Reign O'er Me
    Women's Liberation
    Long Live Rock
    --
    Is It In My Head?
    Put The Money Down
    Can't You See I'm Easy
    Join Together