Hotel California - best US pressing altenative?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark7, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark7

mark7 Guest Thread Starter

I'm having a hard time finding the original 7E US pressing of the Eagles' Hotel California in good condition at a reasonable price, so I'm considering getting either the original UK pressing or the original Germany pressing.

Which version sounds the closest to the US one? UK or German? Some other?

Thank you for your help.

P.S. I don't want reissues.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3. mark7

4. Blue Collar Man

Blue Collar Man Active Member

I've not heard the UK pressing so I can't comment but I have heard the German pressing and it sounds terrible.

I see 7E pressings all the time. I'm surprised that you cant find a clean copy as they sold in the millions so there are plenty out there. If you can't find a clean one, I would recommend starting a WTB ad in the Classifieds Forum here. I'm sure someone here can hook you up.

5. xv48643

xv48643 Forum Resident

There are plenty of them on ebay at fair prices.

6. Myke

So again, a copy I bought upon release in 1976, is a sought after copy, huh ?

Wow. All I had to do was keep it 36 years, take care of it, and now I've " got somethin' " ?

This getting old ain't so bad after all. :laugh:

" Is It 6 'O Clock Yet ? " :laugh:

7. mark7

Yes, well I prefer the original pressing to any reissue, in general as well as in the case of this album.

Perhaps some people may not consider the original pressing "the copy to have", but I do.

8. Myke

Always sounded great to me too. I just get a major kick out of the fact that, since 1964, all I've had to do is keep 'em, and take care of 'em. Like this one, it was of course sealed that day in 1976, so all records were equal...it wasn't until, with the passage of time, did we know a 7E from an RL.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

First West German pressings are sourced from Sterling Sound US mastered stampers. Therefore, they're recommended. Like a nice US original, with the added benefits of quieter Record Service, Alsdorf (formerly Teldec) vinyl.

10. mark7

Thanks. Is this the one you're talking about? http://www.discogs.com/Eagles-Hotel-California/release/1108643

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, it is. Flat, quiet, and has the US original sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.