The Who unissued and unreleased songs--a comprehensive list

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jethrowup, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident Thread Starter

As an avid Who fan and music collector I have been snooping around online and in books for any Who songs that, for whatever reason, continue to elude release. However, I have found very little information, and the information that I have is scattered (some is even contradictory). However, despite these setback, I have tried to come up with a comprehensive list of all the unreleased Who songs that I am aware of, spanning their entire career, from "It Was You" (one of Townshend's first songs--pre-"I Can't Explain") to unreleased songs from "Endless Wire". I was wondering if anybody had any further songs to add or information about any of the songs on the list.

NOTE: * denotes songs that have been said to have been recorded by the band but their existence remains unconfirmed.

1965-"My Generation" sessions
    You Don't Have to Jerk

1967-"The Who Sellout" sessions
    Bob Sings Soul

1968-"Who's For Tennis" sessions
    Joys
    Facts of Life
    Now I’m A Farmer [‘68]
    Shakin’ All Over [studio]

1968/1969-"Tommy" sessions
    Beat Up
    Dream (Erotic)
    Dream (School Song)
    Success
    Girl From Lincoln County
    One Room Country Shack

1970-Aborted LP/EP sessions
    Heaven and Hell [unreleased, non-BBC studio version]
    There’s A Fortune In Those Hills

1971-"Lifehouse"/"Who's Next" sessions
    Mary*
    Greyhound Girl*

1972-"Rock Is Dead--Long Live Rock!" sessions
    Ambition
    Join Together [unedited]
    Can’t You See I’m Easy?*
    Riot In The Female Jail*

1973-"Quadrophenia" sessions
    Bank Holiday Bash
    Four Faces [original “Quadrophenia” mix]
    Wizardry

1975-"Who By Numbers" sessions
    Keep Me Turning*
    Misunderstood*
    Gotta Fight to Make You Mine*
    To Barney Kessel*
    Blue, Red, and Grey [band version]
    Good Times Coming*
    Wild Horses*
    Girl in a Suitcase*

1978-"Who Are You" sessions
    Keep On Working

1981-"Face Dances" sessions
    Back On The Road*

1982-"It's Hard" sessions
    Eminence Front [Daltrey vocals]
    One Life’s Enough [Townshend vocals]

2006-"Endless Wire" sessions
    Certified Rose*
    Uncertain Girl

Others:
    It Was You (1964)
    Do You Want Kids, Kids?* (1968)
    Crossroads Now* (sometime within the last 15 years)
    Day of Silence
    Classified
    Frankenstein Monster Party

Hep Alien and turnersmemo like this.
  2. jethrowup

NOTE:

"Day Of Silence", "Classified", and "Frankenstein Monster Party" may not have been recorded by the band either.

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is confirmed that they actually recorded Joys and Facts of Life?

Fullbug likes this.
  4. jethrowup

Well, according to Andrew Neill's and Matthew Kent's book (Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere: The Complete Chronicle of The Who 1958-1978) those song titles were written down in the band's tape log, so presumably they were recorded by the Who during the "Who's For Tennis?" sessions. However, as far as I know, these tap logs contain the only mention of the songs...so who knows? The Who, I guess.

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I thought that Now I’m A Farmer [‘68] was issued on Odds and Sods and Heaven and Hell [unreleased, non-BBC studio version] appears on Who's Missing?

Fullbug likes this.
  6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The version of Now I'm a Farmer that's been released is a recording from 1970. It's speculated there may be an earlier version that's unreleased. And the Who's Missing version of Heaven and Hell is the BBC recording, it's just a different mix than what's on the BBC Sessions.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It seems likely there wouldn't be a vintage mix of this song. The impression I get from interviews is that it was not finished in 1973. It may well be that Moon's drums are the only part of the finished soundtrack version that date from the original Quad sessions.

8. jethrowup

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they re-recorded "Heaven and Hell" during the same sessions that they recorded "Postcard", "Naked Eye", "Now I'm A Farmer", "I Don't Even Know Myself", "Water", and "There's a Fortune In Those Hills" (and "Day of Silence"???). If I remember correctly, Entwistle (or somebody in the band/close to the band) asserted that the version recorded during the maxi-single sessions was better than the BBC version, yet for some reason, it remains unreleased.

Does anybody know if the band actually recorded "Certified Rose" (or if it was even written...I've read conflicting reports)? Any information on the unreleased songs from "Tommy"?

9. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

There's an acetate reel for "Who's Missing" that has a live version of WGFA from San Francisco '71 - it also has the complete Baby Don't You Do It on the acetate, but that was just included on the 2011 shm release of "Who's/Two's Missing", although some of the stage banter was edited out. There's also a vocals only version of "Instant Party Mixture" on "The Shel Talmy Sessions" test pressing cdr set, not to mention several different mixes of other Talmy produced songs.

10. jethrowup

I'd imagine that there is a lot more that we don't even know about, considering that nobody (as far as I know) knew about the existence of "Ambition" until Townshend mentioned it on "In the Attic" a few years ago.

Groundhog713 and DrBeatle like this.
  11. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Matt Kent supposedly owns the acetate reel that has "It Was You" on it (this according to "Fangy").

dee likes this.
  12. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

is the b-side version of heaven and hell the same one as this? or was it a regular studio recording?

Groundhog713 likes this.
  13. jethrowup

No, the version I am talking about is a different one. The B-side version (the released one) was recorded at IBC Studios (for the same BBC sessions that the band re-recorded "I'm Free", "Shakin' All Over", "I'm a Boy", and acoustic "The Seeker") in April 1970. The unreleased version was recorded at Eel Pie Studios, I believe at the same time as "Water", "Naked Eye", "Now I'm a Farmer", the original "Postcard" and "IDEKM", as well as the also unreleased "There's A Fortune In Those Hills".

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

The b-side is not the BBC Sessions version though.

15. bigmikerocks

so then the actual b-side version of heaven and hell has never been released on an album?

16. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Released on Rarities vol. 2 and Who's Missing Lps (for starters).

Groundhog713 and Hep Alien like this.
  17. bigmikerocks

so jethrowup is saying the version on who's missing is not the b-side version and whotapes is saying that it is.

hmmmmmm whichaya is right?

18. jethrowup

I was under the impression that they were one and the same (I mean, the b-side and the BBC version). I thought that it was the Eel Pie version that had never been released. Or are there three different versions and not two? According to the liner notes for The Thirty Years of Maximum R&B on the Hypertext Who page, the BBC version was the b-side, just in a different mix and with a different vocal track. According to the Hypertext Who page, this (the Maximum R&B version, recorded at IBC) is the same version that is on the Who's Missing album.

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That is correct. There is just one released version of Heaven and Hell, which has appeared in two different mixes: the BBC mix and the b-side mix. As you mentioned, the Who Liner Notes page at hypertext Who claims that the b-side mix has a different lead vocal than the BBC mix, but I would dispute that... they sure sound like the same lead vocal to me.

20. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Just a misunderstanding - you are correct (and what i meant was) that the b-side is a different mix from the BBC Sessions released version. I have no info on an eel pie released version.

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Yeah, my source is John Atkin's book and he doesn't mention a new lead vocal being used.

22. jethrowup

I've never actually read Atkin's book in its entirety and I don't have access to it currently. Does he mention any songs that I missed in the list that I compiled or have any other information on the songs that I did mention? I know "There's A Fortune In those Hills" is a country song. Thanks!

23. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

For starters, Atkins (who is a member here called "Oates"), says there is an acetate from the High Numbers days belonging to a private collector which includes a reprise of "It Was You", as well as early versions of "I Can't Explain" and "The Kids Are Alright". I'll do some more checking through his book.

24. jethrowup

Sounds good. If we can come up with as comprehensive of a list as possible that would be awesome. A lot of other bands have pretty well-developed lists of unreleased material (I'm looking at you, Pink Floyd and The Beatles) but I've noticed that for some reason The Who's unissued catalog has been largely ignored...and there seems to be a lot of interest around it from Who fans, naturally.

Groundhog713 likes this.
  25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I did a sync-up of the two before, and I believe the *only* difference is the additional acoustic guitar strum on the BBC mix. It sounded to me like it was just the same mix with that strum added.

This is the first I've heard of a different recording of Heaven & Hell. I've never seen it mentioned along with the other EP songs.

As above, to my knowledge, the *only* difference is the addition of the final strum on the BBC "mix". And, as far as I know, the only release of the 45 "mix" is the original Who's Missing. Rarities and the SHM Who's Missing have the BBC "mix", albeit with the end faded out (before "well thank you").

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.