Ridley Scott's Prometheus (2012) - Alien prequel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Solaris, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Too bad they didn't use the star system that actually IS in historic paintings and structures. . . :)

2. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Nice job, Carlos.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, one of the Prometheus ship crew members mentions (in passing) "maybe one of the Alien destroying creatures got loose and started to kill the Engineers." I think that's exactly what happened. (The script stressed this a little more obviously.)

The problem with carrying along a high-tech weapon -- like an unstoppable Alien that'll eat you up -- is if it gets out before its destination, it'll turn on you. It's clear to me that the Engineers had thousands and thousands of pods, and were planning to drop them on almost all the planets on which they experimented thousands of years ago. My guess is, most of the human creatures they created didn't turn out the way they wanted, so they were gonna bring in The Exterminators.

That, to me, is the single biggest flaw in the movie. Why are there cave paintings all over the world that seem to invite us to journey to the stars and meet our makers? Why didn't the paintings say, "hey! Stay away! These guys are bad news!"

Or, more directly: what's the point of the paintings? I'm vague on this. It seems to me that if the Engineers had the power to create us (from their own humanoid/alien puke), then they had the ability to keep an eye on us from a distance and pull the plug if we didn't measure up to their expectations.

BTW, nice abs on the lead Engineer alien. One assumes he's doing at least 1000 situps a day and having a very lean diet. He was in pretty good shape, given he's been sitting in a chair for 2000 years.

5. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Andy Kaufman had "psychic surgery" in an attempt remove his cancer.

Steve McQueen used coffee enemas, frequent shampoos, injection of live cells from cows and sheep, massage and laetrile, a supposedly "natural" anti-cancer drug available in Mexico to battle his cancer.

Bob Marley refused to have his cancerous toe amputated, citing his religious beliefs.

Steve Jobs resisted his doctors' recommendations for mainstream medical intervention for nine months, instead consuming a special alternative medicine diet in an attempt to thwart his cancer.

Yup -- people do odd things to stay alive....

6. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Pretty much what the Space Marines had in Aliens....and those guys are Marines!:eek:

7. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I do hope there is a prequel prequel that explains some of this. I imagine there's a framework which would produce a decent story that fits.

I imagine it's possible that not all the Engineers have the same motivation. Maybe the paintings were an invitation that most of the Engineers planted for humans to find. Maybe the last Engineer we saw was a rogue one who didn't have the same fondness for humans and would rather see a planet of Xenomorphs, despite what terrible pets they make. Saw something along those lines in the extended Alien 3.

8. ...or maybe they were a warning that death would come from above...

9. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

My guess is that this detail is reminiscent of the original Alien. The beacon the Nostromo followed was in actuality a warning to stay away. When Ripley tried to decode it her conclusion was the latter. I remember her discussing this with Ash.

10. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

This has turned into the Twilight Zone............................................:)

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

ZINGO! And this bit of tired spaceman fantasy is supposedly one of the "big ideas" that make this a deep film. :sigh:

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

[​IMG]

Anybody notice that Noomi Rapace sends out a distress call at the very end of Prometheus, warning people to stay away from the planet and that there were dangerous life forms there?

13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Nooo they had the super converted MG42 steadycam pulse rifles. The 10mm AP round spewing machine guns, grenades and...nuclear bombs to nuke the site from orbit.

They came far better prepped, just up against a more than worthy opponent.:D

14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yep, but now we have to accept the fact that the Nostromo crew investigated a different ship to the one in Prometheus, which is a disappointment.

15. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

That bit wasn't a disappointment to me. I like the fact that there are other derelict ships out there...

16. spewey

spewey Senior Member

I read the lyric sheet to the first "Led Zeppelin" album -- not having heard the album...I can only assume it's awful :confused:

Am I right people? :D:D

17. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Yes you are. :)

18. On the contrary, it opens up a larger mystery.

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Not much mystery, it just means that the young alien queen that we see at the end of the film went on to infect another ship (or ships), one of which tried to take off but crashed when the pilot fell victim to a chest buster.

20. ynnek4

ynnek4 Forum Resident

That makes no sense.

The ship in Alien has an Engineer that is fossilized (ala the Engineers in Prometheus). Looks like he crashed at or around when the other Engineers in Prometheus experienced their demise.

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yeah, you could be right. Or, the moon didn't have an Earth-like atmosphere. Perhaps fossilization occurs more rapidly up there?

22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

And it received bad reviews.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

But... one can assume there might have been more than one ship on this planet.

I wonder why the pods looked completely different in Alien than in this film. Maybe 100 years later, the sleek look gets overloaded with goo and becomes a gelatinous mass. (I know I would, in a hundred years.)

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

There were many ships. The android told the heroine that and they flew off in another ship at the end.

Those weren't egg pods, they were metal canisters containing the organic goo.

25. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Technically none of the Engineers in Prometheus were fossilized. They weren't submerged in dirt where they could have had minerals replace their soft parts and turn into fossils. Neither was the Engineer in Alien fossilized. Their suits simply look fossil-like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.