Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #38)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here

Welcome! :wave:

This thread (and the 37 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, discuss classical works, classical composers, classical performers, etc.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to offer my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that have made this such and enjoyable and informative experience thus far! You guys are still the best! :righton:

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following SACD, another recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

5. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Happy 4th to the folks back home. :wave:

6. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Relating to the recent HvK discussion, as a relative newcomer to the Brahms symphonies I bought that after already having his late '70s set and being somewhat discouraged by the more negative reviews on Amazon and thinking that maybe Karajan wasn't the best conductor to introduce me to these masterpieces. The HvK set is still quite favourably received, with a 4.1/5 average rating and 17 five star reviews out of 27, but with a 4.6 average and 34 five-stars from 39 reviewers, it's pretty clear which is the more highly regarded out of the two. I could almost instantly hear the clear improvement in Solti's 2nd over HvK's but I still think both are really good in the 4th, my favourite Brahms symphony. Ultimately I'm glad to have the Solti set.

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Happy 4th of July everybody!

8. coopmv

I have all the HvK Brahms Symphonies (1960's and 1970's) and only recently got the Solti's set and also bought the Masur's set on PentaTone around the same time ...

9. John S

John S Forum Resident

Some music for this 100°F (37.77777777777778° C) July Fourth:

Adolphus Hailstork (b. 1941)
    Symphony No. 3
    Symphony No. 2

Grand Rapids Symphony
    David Lockington, music director

[​IMG]

Both pieces are conventional four movement symphonies. The Third is more tonal and conservative, almost in the manner of Copland’s more conservative work. Symphony No. 2 is the more interesting of the two, being more atonal and dissonant. The latter work was inspired by a visit to the slave dungeons at Ghana, Africa. Hailstork was a student of David Diamond’s, among others.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Edgard Varese

I'd really love to hear the Solti set. I found myself mildly dissapointed by the 80s HvK digital set; the cycle recommended by Kevin Sinnot the other day (Sanderling) was much better I thought. I have the HvK 70's cycle on vinyl but it needs a cleaning before I play it (I also have Bruno Walter's set with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra, but that too needs a cleaning).

11. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Special thanks to George and Scott for turning my interest in classical music into a healthy addiction. Thanks to all the others for your recommendations as well.

Reviews to follow of recent purchases of live Martha Argerich - Schumann and Ravel, more solo Brendel playing Schubert on Phillips and Schubert Budapest Quintets.

12. coopmv

Joe, Hope you are ok as I read another tremor hit NZ the day before ...

13. coopmv

Now playing CD4 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'd clean the Walter recordings first. By the 1970, HvK was getting mighty glib.

15. Edgard Varese

Yeah, everything is ok, thanks Stuart. :wave: It was quite a sizable quake (7.0) but it was: a) quite far away (in the Tasman sea, north of the top of the South Island); and b) very deep (250k). So the house shook in a relatively gentle manner for about 30 seconds, which was an indication of the distance, but no one suffered any damage here.

16. coopmv

It is ironic that a place like NYC is completely unprepared for earthquake. As some geologists at Columbia University pointed out last year that NYC might be due for a big one and was in fact hit by a sizable one in the 1800's. If and when such tremor hits, it will be like 9/11 all over again ...

17. Edgard Varese

That doesn't even bear contemplating. :sigh:

18. George P

My pleasure! :wave:

19. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

wow, what an honor to be mentioned along side George. You are quite welcome.

20. George P

[​IMG]

Now blasting this intense 1967 recording of the 1812 Overture by Herbert von Karajan and the BPO. CD cost me 99 cents. It's also got his 1967 Marche Slave.

21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

..but not too loud George. Those cannons can destroy your woofers. :cheers:

22. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

I am sure he is thinking much the same thing Scott. :righton:

Your advocacy towards classical music on that other thread among others has been really useful.

23. George P

Thanks! :wave:

Next up, Op. 101 from this amazing set:

[​IMG]

24. George P

When I read Scott's post I was so honored that I honestly didn't know how to respond.

Thank you very much for your kind words, Scott. I am grateful for your work in getting others to listen to Classical Music. It is something to truly be proud of.

25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Man what a Pathetique in that set. Probably the best on record IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.