Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #38)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

You're quite welcome. I was happy to find that site. I often buy recordings based upon the engineer and/of recording venue. I agree it's great to hear certain halls. Kingsway is definitely on the greats list, subway and all.

2. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Among recent releases, I like both Hamelin and Bavouzet, both of whom seem to have started on extended series, but Brautigam (on fortepiano), whose set is now complete, I think I like even more. Unless you have some significant hang-up about the fortepiano, I'd get that. You could also try parts out by downloading from BIS on eclassical.com.

Brendel's recording are from the mid-80's, and there are about three CD's worth, IIRC, and they are standard-setting IMO.

Yevgeny Sudbin's recent Haydn recital was a bit of a disappointment, somewhat surprisingly, because in the liner note (which he wrote himself) he seems to strike exactly the right note, as it were. But the playing doesn't quite have the same joy and life as others mentioned above. Otherwise though I think the world of Sudbin -- he may be the best young pianist around and I wish I'd get the chance soon to see him in concert.

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I second every syllable. :righton:

4. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Well, in that case I might have to mix it up a bit, because while I can't write off a pianist's whole set of recordings based on one performance of a single movement of one sonata out of 50 or however many, it makes me slightly concerned that the same faults I mentioned may reoccur elsewhere. In general, as a pianist I tend to be a bit fussy about interpretations; whereas I don't believe there to be a cast iron rule in that each piano piece should only be played in a certain way, any interpretation that strays too far away from how I personally would like to play it (but often don't have the technique and/or tone to totally bring it off) is likely to be off-putting.

So probably Brendel for the later more famous stuff (which I have heard and admire) and Hamelin for early-middle period sonatas would be the best bet. I'll probably do a bit of sampling first, assuming any of it is available on Spotify/YouTube...

5. George P

I heard some of Hamelin's Haydn at a store recently and thought it was ok. I think his talents are best used elsewhere.

6. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

As if I don't have enough Brendel doing Schubert and Beethoven (hmmm maybe I dont) now I need to check out his Hayden (his Liszt is proably great also) and now Gulda who beside being a great Beethoven interpreter also plays Jazz? you guys are pushers I tell ya. :)

Best single or double cd Gulda starter disc?

Thanks as always.

7. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

NP: First spin of Martha Argerich playing Gaspard de la Nuit live from 78 off of this which just arrived in the mail:
    [​IMG]

8. George P

I don't know Gulda's jazz stuff very well, but Gegenwart is great.

9. George P

[​IMG]

Enjoying this CD, it's just as gorgeous as I'd remembered. And dirt cheap. ;)

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Gee whiz. Sony keeps repackaging its stuff faster than I can keep up. I had held off on the Stravinsky conducts Stravinsky mega-box, and now I see a 7 disc set of just the ballets for $15. I can choose between the Guarneri and Julliard String Quartets playing Mozart. (Recommendations?). Perahia's Mozart concerto cycle is now $32.40. And there's a Ring Cycle conducted by Marek Janowski for $35.

11. George P

I'd bet the Julliard would be too cold for Mozart, but that Perahia set is a stone cold classic. (though I like Anda's more spunky interpretations more.)

12. john greenwood

I have and enjoy both the Anda and Perahia cycles. So far the Stravinsky and the Janowski Ring are in my shopping basket. I was impressed by the general praise for the cycle, and I the only recording I own is Levine on DVD.

13. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

Rudolf Buchbinder and Jeno Jando also recorded complete cycles of the Haydn sonatas. The Jando is available as a bargain-priced set or on individual discs.

14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I need to find time for a second listen to this set ... :righton:

15. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which just arrived today for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

16. coopmv

From the 1960's?

17. George P

You know it! :wave:

18. coopmv

I have the repackaged and possibly the remastered version ...

19. coopmv

Here is another stellar recording by Kemal Gekic IMO ...

20. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

No kidding . . . I like Buchbinder a lot and did not know that. That may be worth hunting down.

21. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

I thought Jeno Jando rang a vague bell - then I remembered, he was one of the pianists in one of those blind comparisons! Although my opinion wasn't that favourable of him (I quote: "Turgid, slow main melody, only middle section has much life") I'm not going to hold that against him, because it was only Fur Elise (sorry, Scott) and besides one of my favourites, Alicia de Larrocha came bottom in that. Interesting to revisit the discussion from that too, particularly drh's comments: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=278013&page=3

So I think Jando would definitely be worth considering - a complete set (and I have played all the sonatas myself and own all the sheet music) could be a really enjoyable and rewarding bargain at a decent price.

22. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Since I know little more by Fauré than his Requiem, I looked around my streaming service and just listened to this disc:

[​IMG]

Very nice. I think I will look for the Violin Sonata Op. 13 and the Nocturnes next, when I have the time.

23. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

[​IMG]

Ok, stumbled upon this one first and I obviously have heard Pavane before.

24. John S

John S Forum Resident

So George is this the same set as yours? I suppose it has to be because Gilda probably recorded the sonatas once.

[​IMG]

This one is a bit cheaper than yours, plus it contains the concertos (which are duplicated in the Big Beethoven Box).

25. john greenwood

I know some of the music from Pelleas et Melisande well. Balanchine uses excerpts in his great ballet Emeralds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.