Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #38)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Was that really in the album notes?:D

2. john greenwood

My favorite piece of music. Period. Try the Casals recording from 1953 on Sony and the Alban Berg recording on EMI.

3. john greenwood

I have the LaSalle box set of quartets by Schoenberg, Berg and Webern.

4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I knew it was a matter of time before you'd be along to help with a recommendation for that work. :righton:

5. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

nice early music listening...although I already got yelled at for playing tunes too early...what is it with sleeping that is so important...:)
    [​IMG]

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD2 from the following set for a first listen this Sunday morning ...

[​IMG]

7. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

The DePriest is a John Eargle recording, one I don't own. I regard his engineering as almost a guarantee of great sound. DePriest is underrated - I'm sure it's a great disc.

The Reiner is regarded around the world as the standard. It was the first one I heard, so I have special affection for it, plus as a lifelong Chicagoan, it's one of the home team's records, one of their best. Reiner is also extremely well-recorded by Lew Layton during RCA's first golden age in Symphony Hall before the two renovations that destroyed its acoustics.

I like Reiner, but he is among the least sensitive conductors, and this piece has moments of subtle beauty others capture that elude Reiner. That said, I could cheefully live with Reiner for its sound.

Sound note: Reiner's Pines is brighter than the DePriest almost certainly is (Remember I have not heard it). John Eargle insisted on natural (unboosted) treble compounded by mixing on JBL loudspeakers, not known as treble shy.
    This is enough of a factor that the Seattle Symphony remastered a lot of its catalog engineered by John Eargle and re-released it on Naxos, in order to give the sound a slightly brighter, more crowd-pleasing tone.

When I listen to an A-B comparison of an Eargle recording to say a Decca or RCA disc, the Eargle recording almost always sounds a little dull in comparison. Put the same disc through a brighter system, or listen through my AKG headphones, I'm inclined to favor the Eargle, which includes a lot of Delos-label discs. Please excuse the audio excursion in a music-thread.

8. coopmv

Just placed the following order this morning to fill in some gaps in my collection ...

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure I've heard that recording before. I listened to the entire set in one go back in 2005 (probably not the wisest thing to do with Schoenberg). I enjoyed the first two quartets, but the last two (written well into his serial period) frankly literally gave me a headache - I just haven't got into most of Schoenberg's post-1920 stuff, but I probably ought to give these another go, in smaller doses. Have you long since enjoyed that music, or were you a recent convert?

10. Greg Arkadin

Greg Arkadin Forum Resident

Besides these, strong recommendations for the Petersen Quartet/Sanderling and Orpheus/Wispelwey.

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"You make me want to be a better man. "

There's no "right" version of this piece, there's "right" versions. Haven't heard the Budapest Qt. in this piece, I'll bet it's overflowing with old-world flavour. My favorite version of the Quintet in C is the Cleveland Quartet with Yo-Yo Ma on Sony/Columbia, an early DDD CD. The Berg/Schiff recording is perhaps more dynamic and edgy. The ad-hoc quintet with Casals is full of that old-world flavour though the sound is a little dim. The Cleveland/Yo-Yo Ma version has the most consistent beauty of string tone of all the recordings I've heard. But I wouldn't want to miss out any of the good versions. This is as good as chamber music gets.

[​IMG]

My introduction to Late Beethoven were the stereo recordings of the Budapest Quartet. They reached back to something very powerful in those performances, even if their technique was fraying. You could do worse.

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"If I Were a Rich Man . . ."

I've got that SACD. It is a powerful performance. I happen to be crazy for all three of Leonard Bernstein's recordings of the Resurrection, finding the last of the three the best performed. Kaplan's version has as good a performance of the finale that I know of, though there is something downright unworldly in Bernstein's LSO performance at Ely Cathedral. Nice hobby this financier man's got.

13. Bruno Walter / Columbia Symphony Orchestra - Beethoven Symphony No. 3 in E Flat Major, Op. 55 ("Eroica") - MONO
    Columbia Masterworks Canada - ML 5320 - 1958

[​IMG]

Strange deadwax information on Side 1. It's handwritten and ends in -AA. Side 2 is machine stamped ending in -IF.

[​IMG]

While running a Google search on the album, I found out it was reissued by Classic Records in 2009 on Quiex 200g vinyl, cut from the original 3 track tape @ Bernie Grundman Mastering.

14. George P

I enjoyed it pretty much all along.

15. John S

John S Forum Resident

Sorry, that should read "...to use the new Critical Edition, in which hundreds...." My typo, not theirs.

16. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, another recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

17. Sir Thomas Beecham / Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Schubert - Symphony No.3 in D / Symphony No.5 in B flat - STEREO
    His Master's Voice - EMI U.K. - 1960

[​IMG]

1976 reissue from the HMV Concert Classics series.

[​IMG]

18. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Kaplan is what I consider an indulged obsessive ' one trick' pony. Using Nadja Michel ..enough said???! She may be building a reputation as a singer on the operatic scene but regarding voice quality ( a dog's splattered breakfast for voice production - sorry canines!) ...and not one, a singer normally seeks. And then later, if one really wants to subsequently hear how a soprano can seamlessly enter amongst the chorus, just listen to Heather Harper/ Solti conducting /London Symphony /Kingsway Hall 1967. ascoutic 'magic'. When one has any number of great recordings from Solti, Abbado, Bernstein, Klemperer and many other conductors to pick and choose or compare : Kaplan even with SACD sound...Nah!

The greatest injustice I find to Mahler is the usual continuing release of his 1st Symphony but missing the extra original 'Blumine movement' ( from 1893 ) AND proper sequence in most recordings. Sometimes it is recorded as an insulting appendix. A bonus extra ...after the main event!
    At the end of any 1st Symphony version of its performed 4 movement form , out of nowhere comes the strong references to that missing inner Blumine movement. With then. no mentally held aural attachments for the listener to hang these references on: it becomes 'a sore thumb sticking out of nowhere ' situation:realmad:

19. Collector Man

Don't excuse yourself over discussion of the recorded sound quality of particular music releases. Such information helps other readers to form better indicating guides , whenever making purchasing decisions . :)

20. Collector Man

The EMI Muti version (I have it amongst other versions)the performance is pleasant but unexceptional , its sound... rates the same.

21. George P

I don't think I own a single work by Respighi.

22. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Up until a few days ago, that's how I felt about everything I've heard of Respighi. The Reiner disc is the first one I like. I'll have to check out the versions posted above.

23. coopmv

Now playing CD3, the last CD from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Ancient Airs and Dances is very sweet, a nostalgic concoction made of Renaissance Dances, re-orchestrated and stitched into suites. I suspect that the Dorati/Philharmonia Hungarica Mercury SACD is exchanging at exorbitant rates.

25. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

Have the whole set and do not like Pletnev DG at all. The Pentatone set is better in every way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.