Old US Pressing of ‘Beggar's Banquet’ at Correct Speed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Esszet, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esszet

Esszet Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My dad has an old US pressing of ‘Beggar's Banquet’, and it appears to be at the correct speed. I don't know when it's from, but I have the matrix #'s and pictures of the side 1 and side 2 labels (sorry they're sideways):

Side 1 label:
    [​IMG]

Side 2 label:
    [​IMG]

Matrix #'s:
    XZAL 8476A (for side 1)
    XZAL-8477B (for side 2)

Judging by the track lengths on the labels, I'm thinking that at least some US pressings of ‘Beggar's Banquet’ were pressed at the correct speed. Does anyone else have an old US pressing of BB to compare this to?

Attached Files:

905 likes this.
  2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I have the same pressing, and it seems to be at the right speed to me also, but I've never listened to it closely enough to know for sure.

3. Esszet

4. OldSoul

Well, I couldn't make fair comparisons with your clips because I had to listen on headphones, but I compared the record with the 2002 cd and the speed seemed to be the same to me.

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Don't go by the labels. All of the labels list the "correct" timings. They still play slow.

6. OldSoul

I just timed "Sympathy" on the record and it came out at 6:17. Wikipedia lists the running time as 6:18, and oddly enough, the CD doesn't mention length anywhere but my mp3 version has it clocked in at 6:28.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's the incorrect, slow speed. It matches the old CDs.

1) Can you provide clips?

2) Are you reasonably sure your turntable is running at the correct speed?

6:17 is approximately the correct time for the correct speed version (i.e., the SACD).

8. Esszet

Here's a clip from my version of SFTD. My clip definitely sounds faster and slightly higher-pitched than the version from the YouTube video to which I posted a link earlier.

Attached Files:

9. Esszet

…I'm reasonably sure my turntable was running at the correct speed when I ripped the above clip.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Thanks. That basically matches the SACD.

Very interesting.

11. Esszet

Does anybody have a different old US pressing?

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What's interesting is this kind of shoots a hole in the idea that the SACD is "wrong" because the album was never released at that speed.

Tommyboy and BeatlesBop like this.
  13. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Very intriguing! I hope someone can shed more light on this.

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I Listened to this album a million times before the SACDs ever came out and I never noticed a speed difference.

15. Esszet

Do you know what pressing you were listening to?

16. serge

serge Forum Resident

huh? i've also listened to this album hundreds of times and never noticed anything..

The Beave likes this.
  17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Prior to the SACD, most versions ran slow. The old ABKCO and London CDs definitely run slow.

18. MikeP5877

The original DECCA and old US London LPs run slow too. Except for the pressing noted in this thread, apparently.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

20. Esszet

How do you know that most of the old US LPs run slow? Do you have a different old US pressing?

21. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

given that the master was slow - apparently - and the US pressings were done from dubs of the master, I think it's highly unlikely indeed that this US pressing runs at the correct speed.

The only correct speed sympathy in analogue is on the mono pressing.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "the master was slow". Apparently the master was either dubbed using a machine that played slow or to a machine that recorded fast, resulting in a copy that was slower than the original.

What evidence is there that (all) US pressings were done from a dub of the master? The clip posted in this thread seems to indicate at least this pressing does run at the correct speed, which would tend to suggest it was cut from the master.

23. MikeP5877

I had three older pressings , plus one I bought new in the early 80s. All ran slow. I also have the original UK Decca - it too runs slow.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Good to know.

One wonders why the masters were (apparently) only used to cut the original US pressing.

25. serge

serge Forum Resident

if all the versions run "slow" maybe the master runs "fast".. i mean if we all have grown up hearing the one version.. if its all thats been played then thats the real version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.