Handel "Water Music" George Szell, London Symp. on UK Decca, AMAZING SOUND!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

What was Georgie doing in England making a record for Decca? Did he do that a lot? I thought he was under contract to Epic?

At any rate, this Decca LP sounds so amazing I thought I'd mention it for those of you who wanted a nice "Water Music" on vinyl. It's ffss SXL-2302 from 1962.

It doesn't have that really distant wonky treble sound that so many Decca's have, it's nicely balanced and dynamic, not a "cheap seats" performance at all.

I doubt it came out on London in the Blueback series (because of the Epic conflict) but I could be wrong.

The LP has the "Royal Fireworks" on side two plus LARGO from "Xerxes"..

Just thought I'd pass it on even though I know not one person will read or comment on this!

2. ccarty

ccarty Hyperactive!

Oh ya?:)

Sounds like another record to add to the want list, thanks for the tip!

3. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

Just out of curiosity, does this account of the H2O music present the Hamilton Harty arrangement for modern orchestra, once popular but now pretty much a dead letter?

5. rpd

rpd Senior Member

There is a speakers corner version...

6. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

There are also some Decca 24 bit remasters on CD called the Decca Legends series. Decent sound.

8. cwon

cwon Active Member

He did a recording of the incidental music for Egmont that was highly regarded at the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-com...034888&sr=1-2&keywords=beethoven+egmont+szell

He also did a coupling of Beethoven's 5th and Sibelius 2nd with the Concertgebouw on Philips that I have on vinyl.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...sibelius+2+szell&rh=n:5174,k:sibelius+2+szell

9. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

This Handel recording was done August 1961 in Kingsway Hall, the recording engineer was Kenneth Wilkinson and the producer was John Culshaw.

It also appears on CD in a 5 CD Decca Box from 2005 titled:

George Szell: Decca & Philips Recordings 1951-1969.

The box was part of a series called Original Masters. I don't have the LP but the CD sounds pretty good I think.

SzellDecca.jpg

10. Steve Hoffman

He must have had quite a flexible contract.

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Didn't Fritz Reiner do some Decca recordings while recording for RCA Red Seal in the states? Similar situation?

Matt

12. cwon

cwon Active Member

Couldn't get away with that nowadays

13. stever

stever Senior Member

I was just listening to Tafelmusik's interpretation on Sony CD this afternoon. Fantastic music! I'll have to find Szell.

14. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Some Deccas were RCA Living Stereos here, nice ones too but unfortunately none were included in the Living Stereo CD or SACD series. Also if I remember right the Royal Phil did some with Reiner, Munch, Boult and a few others for Reader's Digest in 1962, incl. my favorite Brahms 4th.

15. Steve Hoffman

Yup and yes.

16. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

One of my fav. classical pieces. I have it on vinyl but I don't think it's that old.... I bought it in the 1980's.

17. Steve Hoffman

18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Yes, but not this one, as far as I know. 1961, I think. London in US; Decca in Europe.

Attached Files:

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Steve,

One of my favorite Water Music recordings of all. The best sounding George Szell recording I ever heard. Superior sonics to his Epic output, especially those horrid sounding Blue Label later pressings.

20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Anybody have an opinion on it? Generally I find their Decca reissues top notch but I haven't picked up this one.

21. Steve Hoffman

It's pretty OK.

22. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Is their a fantastic sounding digital version of this available?

23. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Szell was probably better recorded by Decca, plus their engineers weren't likely to be intimidated by the conductor the way the Columbia engineers supposedly were. Szell's Columbia LPs were notoriously bass shy, and by accounts due to the fact that that conductor has his home loudspeakers on the floor, which tilted the bass. Anyway, later Sony CD releases corrected this. I'm a fan of his Handel Decca recordings, but my original music friends can't warm to it. I have plenty of screechier modern recordings to pacify them.

I wish I had the LP, but I've never seen it. Nice score Steve!

24. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Just finished listening to this record. Really nice sound...

Nice quiet copy...

25. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

RCA had a distribution deal with Decca after the longtime RCA/EMI partnership ended in the late '50s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.