THE KNACK "Time Waits For No One: The Complete Recordings" NOW SOUNDS CD out SOON!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by now_sounds, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. now_sounds

now_sounds Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just thought I would spread the word that NOW SOUNDS is issuing THE KNACK's Time Waits For No One: The Complete Recordings very soon.

• A LOST L.A. PSYCH POP MASTERPIECE UNLEASHED!
    • THEIR ENTIRE CAPITOL RECORDINGS (1966-1967)!
    • COLLECTED TOGETHER FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME!
    • FROM THE ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES!

ATTENTION: This is not the band of “My Sharona” fame. Signed to Capitol Records in 1966, THE KNACK performed with many legendary acts of the era on the Sunset Strip and beyond. Like the later KNACK, they were based out of the same city, signed to the same label, utilized the same “Get The Knack” slogan, endured a similarly ambitious hype campaign, and played a similar, albeit ’60s, variation of Beatlesque power pop. This material has miraculously never before been compiled—UNTIL NOW!

Included here are all eight sides of The Knack’s original four singles, along with five previously-unreleased tracks, as well as an alternate mix of “I’m Aware.” "Softly, Softly" features Frank Zappa, Jimmy Carl Black, and Ray Collins. All sourced from the original master tapes!

The 16-page, full-colour booklet includes rare, previously unpublished photos, and extensive liner notes featuring the participation of all original band members.

Track Listing:
    1. TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE
    2. I’M AWARE
    3. PRETTY DAISY #
    4. SOFTLY, SOFTLY (Featuring Frank Zappa, Jimmy Carl Black, and Ray Collins)
    5. BANANA MAN #
    6. LADY IN THE WINDOW *
    7. THE SPELL
    8. FREEDOM NOW *
    9. THE GIRL WITH THE DARK BROWN EYES
    10. MERRY GO ROUND *
    11. ONCE UPON A CHEEK
    12. NO SHOW TODAY
    13. HEART SAYS YES, PRIDE SAYS NO (Sessions)

Bonus Track:
    14. I’M AWARE (Alt. Mix)

Original Recordings Produced by NICK VENET
    except * Produced by JOHN PALLADINO;
    # Produced by LEX de AZEVEDO

SOURCED FROM THE ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES!
    COMPILATION PRODUCED BY STEVE STANLEY
    MASTERED BY ALAN BROWNSTEIN

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Waits-For-One-Recordings/dp/B0085R5QUO

Attached Files:

2. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

In my iTunes list they are down as the UK Knack. :winkgrin:

3. now_sounds

There was also a UK act called The Knack. The Knack discussed here is from L.A.

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

OK now I understand, The UK act did a Spoonful and Kinks cover IIRC.
    I checked out Time Waits For No One on Youtube, I have heard that before somewhere.

Good stuf.

5. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

I love you, Now Sounds! :love:

I'm not saying I'm a fan of The Knack (I've actually never even heard of 'em!) but I love you for the fact that you continually release quality CDs with great sound, extensive liner notes, and eye catching artwork. I just got your reissue of Mark Eric's A Midsummer's Day Dream and based on the cover of this Knack release alone, I'm seriously thinking about ordering myself a copy. Keep up the stellar work! :edthumbs:

6. now_sounds

Thank you so much, Peter! I really appreciate it. Any favorite cuts on the Mark Eric CD?

7. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

I dig The Knack! That cover is really groovy - love the attention to detail. Looks exactly like a mid/late 60s Capitol album should look.

For all of you who haven't heard them, here's the title track on Youtube (of course, will probably sound a thousand times better on the Now Sounds release!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76-gReLa44w

8. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Based on what I just heard of "Time Waits For No One" & "The Spell" as well as Now Sounds reputation for fine re-issues I'm gonna be picking this up....that cover looks great and I'm sure the booklet will not be too bad either.
    Just curious ..are these mono or stereo recordings...I'm guessing mono.

JF

9. tuttle

tuttle Forum Resident

I like it! Is the rest of their material like that single?

10. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

In my opinion, of the same quality. Inventive 60s psychedelic-tinged pop.

11. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

I still have the 45 of I'm Aware, I think I got it from Teen Set magazine. I saw the band once back in the day. They were good, I always wondered why nothing ever happened with them.

12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

What, no "My Sharona"????? :)

13. now_sounds

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the kind words. I really want one of those red velvet coats!

The new CD consists of all The Knack's original mono singles (8 sides) and 6 other tracks. All sourced from the original mono masters. They certainly had recorded enough material to releases an album at the time, but it wasn't meant to be. Until now!

14. now_sounds

15. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

This would be a great test case for Now Sounds to explore the world of an LP release... I would buy it in a heartbeat. The Knack singles are great.

16. now_sounds

Yes, The Knack singles are great! We're exploring vinyl options on a number of titles. Will let you know, Arkoffs!

17. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Awesome news! Now Sounds has put out a lot of really cool titles.

18. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

The involvement of Zappa, Ray Collins and Jimmy Carl Black on one of the songs really makes me think I need to check this out. Thanks!

19. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

So stereo masters no longer exist?

20. now_sounds

Stereo masters were never originally created.

Attached Files:

21. now_sounds

22. KizzyMan

KizzyMan Forum Resident

Just received my copy today from Amazon UK. Great packaging and sound. I wasn't aware of the 1960's US "The Knack" before but took a chance on it from the strength of that cover photo alone (loving those velvet coats and ascots). I'm glad I did. Fine melodic songwriting all the way through, with some crafty time signature changes to boot. The instrumental "session" track, complete with false starts and studio chatter, is also a treat. There is quite an interesting story behind this band, and the excellent liner notes make for a fascinating read.

Kudos, Now Sounds. Keep 'em coming!

23. now_sounds

Thanks so much, KizzyMan! Here's THE KNACK's original 1966 master tape box. Both tracks are on the new NOW SOUNDS release, Time Waits For No One: The Complete Recordings!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.