Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #38)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Could Gould have a WTC performance even worse than that by Barenboim?

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

File this under "Most Appropriate Post of the Day." :D

3. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following set from my JS Bach collection. This version is still the best of my many piano versions of these works IMO ...

[​IMG]

4. coopmv

She is far more attractive than Hilary Hahn as well ... :D

5. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I dunno I'd say it's a close tie there! :)

[​IMG]

6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Yes. This Pastorale is tops!

7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Has the 5th been released on SACD?

Alex.-

8. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Lil off subject but......

Doesn't any of my friends here use Facebook?
    Like to hook up there if your into it??

9. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

You stole my thoughts. :laugh: (Still need my Lara fix too, I only have one SACD of hers.)

10. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

...and she knows what do SACD and HDCD mean. What a fatal combination for us, poor erotoaudiophiles... :D

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Bruno Walter's recording of Beethoven's 5th with the Columbia SO was issued on SACD coupled with Schubert's Unfinished, Walter/NYPO. Transfers were less than full-bodied. Still have the Odyssey LP transfer of this coupling. The Fifth is big and heavy and rhetorical, not Bruno Walter's best Beethoven. The "Unfinished" is one of my all-time favorite performances.

12. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Yes - with the Schubert Unfinished.

Edit - I see Robin beat me to it.

13. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

[​IMG]

I finally found the time to listen to this SACD that arrived a few days ago. Four lovely voices coming at me from all sides. Very nice for a sunday morning. :)

14. wolfram

Hello Andrei, nice to have you around again. :wave:

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I plead the Fifth

Question for lovers of Hi-Rez—What's the best Sound/Performance combo on Beethoven's 5th? Someone on the forum [vintage tube*] just got the big Paganini stack 'o' dCS D to A plus media player plus clock and power supply and wants to go to town. Someone mentioned Kleiber VPO, a great performance but not such a great transfer, as far as I can tell. Don't care for Munch/BSO and didn't care for the SACD transfer of Walter/CSO. Any reports of a high rez [or really good redbook] recording of Beethoven's Fifth?

*Fair warning, the equipment listing in vintage tube's profile may produce Pavlovian reactions or fits of jealousy, view with caution.

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Re: Walter's 5 on sacd I beg to differ, I think the sacd sounds very good or at least as good as the Columbia record.
    Concerning a good sounding 5 on digital the firtst that came to mind is the recent RCA sacd with Jarvi, the performance might not be to everybody's taste, although I like it, but the sound quality is top-notch.

17. George P

I am now trying to curb a desire to buy every Walter Edition I can get my hands on. Can Robin (and/or others) please give me a short list of essential CDs from that series? (I already have the one that has his Pastoral Symphony and his Haydn symphonies 88, 100 and 102) Thanks!

Now enjoying:

[​IMG]

18. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Of course. Totally forgotten that SACD. Thanks both of you.

BTW, the Pastoral sounds exceptionally well compared to the RBCD of the Walter Edition.

Alex.-

19. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my JS Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I have no doubt that your playback gear is more suitable for making such judgement calls. For whatever reason, I was less than enthralled by the Sony Single-Layer SACDs, with a few exceptions like the Stravinsky-led "Rite" [which I already regret selling]. However, I have to admit that I never really loved Bruno Walter's take on the Fifth, finding it lacking in energy compared to other slo-mo 'steamroller' versions, such as Furtwängler's final VPO studio recording for EMI.

What do you think of the Sound of the Carlos Kleiber VPO SACD of the Fifth? That's still one of my favorite performances.

21. wolfram

Very nice CD. If it wasn't for all this harpsichord playing. :D

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Bruckner, 4, 7 and 9.

Schubert 9.

Brahms 2 & 3

I'd start with those. Anyone who has heard more recent editions of these recordings, please pipe in. I'd be curious if any of the recent remasters beat this series. As regards his Beethoven, I do recall that the "Pastorale" SACD did sound less 'processed' and more natural than the BWE CD transfer. Of course, the original vinyl is hard to beat. I really like his 1 & 2, could live without his 'Eroica', his 4th is for the ages, the 7th has one of the better performances of the allegretto, the 8th is sweet but messy, the 9th isn't as good as the earlier NYPO Mono but both boast the sweetest and most indwelling performance of the great adagio.

23. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Carlos Kleiber's VPO Beethoven 5th SACD is quite an improvement over the RBCDs; and I hate to say that the SHM-SACD is even better!

24. coopmv

But Ton Koopman is no slouch as a harpsichordist ...

25. George P

Many thanks! One day I was driving home and was really enjoying a recording of Beethoven's 5th on the radio, so much so that I wanted to know who the conductor was. It was Walter.

Boehm was sounding dull this morning, so I am going with Fricsay's 39 and 41:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.