Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #38)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

No, he's great and so is the whole disc. I just can't stomach a lot of harpsichord. Maybe this will change and I will "mature" into this instrument as well with time.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Harpsichord is an excellent embellishment to baroque music and nobody did it better than the great JS Bach ...

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Absolutely. And I can very well enjoy it as part of a baroque orchestra. But for solo performances I prefer the piano (even if this isn't as authentic). But that's just my taste.

4. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

lol..your not alone brother!:D

5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

One other thing I should mention is that I was only speaking of performance, not sound quality. Those Walter Edition CDs turn up in the used bins quite often, so I will be able to grab them for cheap. So please let me know if you have any more to add, just based on performance alone.

6. coopmv

Looks like you are ready to make another trip to PRX ... :righton::D

7. coopmv

While I obviously enjoy piano, I also enjoy solo harpsichord and have quite a number of versions of WTC performed on harpsichord.

8. George P

Yep, I go on vacation week after next and I plan to go at least once. :agree:

9. coopmv

Now playing SACD1 from the following twofer, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

10. coopmv

So PRX really has more to offer than the Academy these days?

11. George P

I'll find out. :cool:

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Robin, no worries, certainly playback differences and personal preferences bring about different opinions. But I think that we agree more than we disagree. Stravinsky's rite is certainly and amazing performance, very well recorded and nicely transferred to SACD.
    Walter's 5th with CSO is, how to put it mildly.....boring...there I said it. I was very disappointed by it.

But there are other recordings out there. The online Bruno Walter discography (http://bwdiscography.net) lists 5 different recordings the first is from 1926 the last is the CSO from 1958.
    The 1941 with NYP is freely available on the internet archive, albeit only on mp3:

http://archive.org/details/BeethovenSymphonyNo.5_331

Among my records, I have also a mono recording with NYP from 1950 but I don't remember having listened to it yet, definitely I 'll do it sometime soon.

I was not impressed with the sound of Kleiber's 5th.
    First, it is a DG recording and I never particularly like the "signature" DG sound.
    Secondly, according to the booklet the SACD both the Stereo and the Multichannel are remixed. I don't have the vinyl of this so I cannot tell how radical or not the remix is.
    Finally it is not a direct transfer to DSD but to hi-rez PCM first and thne to DSD.
    What's the point of this, I don't know but with this under consideration it can be very disputable whether the SACD is truly high Resolution.

13. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

My current favorite Beethoven's 5th is Cluytens on EMI recorded in Berlin the late 50s or early 60s.
    [​IMG]

A little later, but still in excellent sound (and performance) is Kempe's
    [​IMG]

14. coopmv

Now playing the following SACD, another recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Currently spinning this. Get this if you do not have it. One of the best piano albums I have heard in a while. This guy is really one of those at the top of the list IMO. Not quite with Horowitz or Richter but he leads the pack of the younger players IMO.

31IgeSlM-FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

16. George P

Have you heard Gekic's Liszt? :bigeek:

17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have the Transcendental Etudes played by him. Some great ones there. :righton:

18. George P

:agree:

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Great sound on these but I never managed to complete the series, I have 1,3, and 4

20. coopmv

I just completed getting the entire series a few weeks ago but have not quite finished listening to them yet ...

21. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

For anyone interested, I see there is going to be a new complete set of the Sciarbin Piano Sonatas, played by Dimitri Alexeev, coming from Brilliant Classics soon. . It is already on my "must buy" list It is not often, complete sets of these sonatas ever come along.

22. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Thanks buddy! :wave:

Now playing the DVD-A portion of this Prokofiev DualDisc (the same performance had been available before on Vanguard CD).

Attached Files:

23. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Have you heard this complete set of Scriabin's solo piano works? It's terrific. Here's a review.

24. Collector Man

Totally agree with your opinion. I will gladly buy any one of Lugansky's recordings.:)

25. Collector Man

The Alexeev (3 CD) Sonata 1-10 box appeals, since I have less of the sonatas and more of the Preludes and Etudes etc.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.