Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #38)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

The more that forum members bring up their much loved releases from the past , it makes us all consider all the immense recorded treasures that have been released over the decades. Perhaps we need several lifetimes to hear them all.

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Anyone compare the sound on the latest Decca release of the Krips Mozart symphonies (21-41) with the old Philips mastering?

I hope someone can help here, as I know that you guys care about sound.

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I just ordered it. How can you go wrong for 20 bucks? Thanks for the info. :righton:

4. Rose River Bear

I will have to seek that out. I like Alexeev very much. :cheers:

5. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Indeed. I definitely need a couple of spare lives to stomach those big/complete re-issue box sets alone. And another one for "synchronizing" myself with the current novelties...

6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

7. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

You're welcome! :wave: (I hope you'll forgive me for such a shameless promotion of some really talented compatriots of mine who, for whatever reason, are less known than, say, Jansons or Garanča.)

8. Rose River Bear

There are some very good reviews of it by some folks on Amazon also. With so many raving reviews and your recommendation I figure I can't go wrong. 20 bucks for 8 CDs? A steal. :cheers:

9. Rose River Bear

Still trying to give this one away. No takers?

10. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

And a very nice sounding steal. :cheers: (I love Richter but too often I wish I could kill those who recorded him. Especially considering some truly hi-fi recordings that existed at the same time. :shh: :angel:)

11. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

A nice freebie, somebody grab it (because the repertoire - which I have in one form or another - is fine, sometimes bombastic but overall pretty diverse, not to mention that anyone needs some Svetlanov in his/her collection).

12. Rose River Bear

Those Russian pieces bombastic...never!:winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin:

13. Rose River Bear

It warms my heart seeing so much going on about Scriabin. I truly think he was one of the greatest composers ever. :cheers:

14. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Well, let's call them "effective" then (with an optional "a" in the beginning). :cool:

15. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Agreed. :cheers: Sadly (or fortunately?), I discovered (or prepared myself for such a discovery) his full scope rather lately, but it's paid off. For a Scriabin digger on budget I would also like to recommend a cool concert box set (IIRC, I bought it from Beaches Entertainment). Ashkenazy really rocks there! :righton:

16. George P

Many of them were recorded live, under less than ideal locations. Having said that, of course it would have been nice if he was better recorded. The important thing is that we have so many great performances by the Master.

For example, here's a great article that contains a great story about a meeting between Horowitz and Rachmaninoff, one that surely should have been recorded (see bold section):

17. George P

:laugh:

18. George P

Poor Zhukov looks like he could use a few square meals. I guess in those days it wasn't enough to be great pianist, you also had to be thin.

19. George P

Alexeev's recordings of Rachmaninoff Preludes, etc on Virgin is excellent.

20. George P

My two go-tos for the Sonatas are Ashkenazy and Ogdon, in that order. I have Laredo too, but haven't had the willingness to hear the whole thing yet. Picked up the Horowitz SONY CD recently and plan to hear it very soon.

21. George P

I disagree. It's my taste too. :righton:

22. George P

Indeed.

23. George P

I am working on starting the new thread.

It will be up in a minute or two...

24. George P

Standby...

25. George P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.