Anyone into 'BREAKING BAD'?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by spice9, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Amazing episode -- definite "Emmy submission" material for Cranston and Gunn. The Heisenberg transformation is complete. Not sure what kind of car Walt bought, but it was black and shiny and bad-***.

2. npc145

npc145 music junkie

Walt's car is a Chrysler 300C SRT 8

3. Steve in Omaha

Steve in Omaha Never kissed a bear, never kissed a goon

If Anna Gunn doesn't win the Emmy this year, she's a lock for next year. The bedroom scene with Walt was as good as TV gets IMO. Other thoughts:

- Mike has gone from a Half Measure with Lydia to No Measure now. This will come back to bite Team Vamonos.

- Tick, tick, tick. At least three scenes with Walt and clocks ticking or chiming in the background -- the scene with chain-smoking Skyler, the head-shaving scene and, of course, the final scene. Is time running out for Walt (or someone else)? Is his cancer back? Is the "time bomb" ready to explode?

- With 4 eps left before hiatus, and the story now taking place one year before the flash-forward scene in S5E1, I guess it's safe to assume the flash-forward occurs near the very end. So they're needing to buy a year somewhere along the way, and it sure doesn't seem like much time is going to be eaten this "season" given the current storylines.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Which, purely by coincidence, was a big sponsor of the series...

My guess is: all of the above, and more.

Yikes! Now I'm chewing my fingernails with antici.......... pation.

5. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

Blowing smoke in Walt's direction and ashing in his 51st birthday mug!

6. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

I really am digging season 5 but with some issues. I feel like Walt has gone through too dramatic a transformation. There's nothing left of the science teacher with cancer. I get what they're trying to say with his development but he's losing some of his complexity. Other than that though I'm pretty happy and think that Breaking Bad is the first show capable of providing FIVE FULL SEASONS of quality television. As much as I love Mad Men I was somewhat disappointed in the last season and hope six improves.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think that's the point of the show.

8. Sean Murdock

What if the show progresses as it always has -- just a few "months" each season -- and that flash-forward was just an epilogue. Maybe we've already SEEN the final moments of the entire series! :help:

I don't really believe that, but it would be wild.

9. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

The purchase of an artillery-grade machine gun is not the sort of thing you would expect to see as an epilogue. There's gotta be some kind of payoff for that, surely.

Loved the birthday bacon payoff this eposide, btw. Anyone got a copy of the season premiere handy to check whether Walt is wearing the watch from Jesse in the flash-forward?

10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I checked. He isn't.

Maybe he sold it to get the cash to buy the gun? And to be able to leave the $100 tip?

11. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I thought the grossest part of this series was in this episode with the shaving. I didn't need to see that. That REALLY got me. :D

12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I think Jesse is dead at that point.

13. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

Seems like we're just going through the "set-up" phase of the season now. I'm sure the first half will end with a bang and the last half will be banging all the way to Walt coming face to face with himself.

14. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

"Do you expect me to let you go? Do you expect me to let you take my children from me? Don't you know me? Don't you know that that's an impossibility -- that that could never happen? That I would use all my power to keep something like that from happening? Don't you know that?"

They didn't have Walt say those exact words, but they might as well have.

15. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I fully expect an epic cliff-hanger coming our way at the end of these 8 episodes. Gilligan is going to leave us all pulling our hair out in about a month.

We'll be bald and Walt will have hair when the show picks back up next year!! :D

16. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Seeing Walt psychologically terrorize his wife and openly act like some sort of gangsta is indeed kind of shocking, but I don't think you can underestimate the emotional impact it would have to be so close to death, facing such an overwhelmingly powerful enemy, and then conquering it.

17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Good point--I hadn't really thought of it that way yet.

18. Greg Arkadin

Greg Arkadin Forum Resident

Go back to the beginning and you can see the transformation more steadily. In the first couple of episodes, he beats down a high school kid who's making fun of Walt Jr. There are lots of moments in the first couple of seasons where he relishes being a gangster.

19. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

Exactly.

I have a friend who started watching the series last November, and it was interesting talking to him about it knowing what I knew at the end of season 4. One thing I noticed that we talked about yesterday was how hard it was for him to accept that Walt was turning into a villain. Even as far as season 3, he was trying his damnedest in conversation to justify and rationalize Walt's decisions, even Jane's death, as necessary and not all that evil given the situation. Now that he's caught up with the show, he laughs about it, because when you look back, you can't help but realize that Walt started down this path of moral corruption very early in season 1, that he was a lot further along than many wanted to believe. That's why I don't feel that this change is all that sudden or unexpected, unless you're the type of viewer that still believed Walt was a good person in season 4.

I think as early as season 2 Walt had this "gangster" in him, but didn't have the experience or power to give him license to behave like it. You could see hints of it from time to time in looks Walt gave, or the way he treated Jesse or talked about their plans. Now that Gus is dead, Walt thinks there's nothing standing between him and absolute supremacy, so this monster, biding its time for the last 6 months or so, finally can step into his shoes.

20. Sean Murdock

Yes, absolutely -- Walt's been working his way up to this ever since the beginning. I think his first real adrenaline taste of Heisenberg's power was when he blew up Tuco's office and got away with it. Since that moment, he's wanted "absolute power" but it's taken awhile to get it (or, at least, what he THINKS is absolute power). You could always see the rage blazing in his eyes whenever anyone unwittingly tried to treat him like the "old" Walter White -- that's what most of his mind games with Skyler have been about. She used to be the dominant partner in their marriage, and whenever she tried to reassert that dominance, he'd do something to undermine it. Now that she realizes he's NOT the "old Walt" and never will be -- and acting suitably terrified -- it's only feeding his monstrous ego faster and faster.

21. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

Walt is pretty much dead at this point. He's Heisenberg 100% now.

22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Gilligan was on Conan last night. Nothing we haven't heard from him before actually. But was nice of Conan to invite him.

23. Audio Guru

Audio Guru New Member

I think Walt/Heisenberg will off Skyler sooner rather than later. She's become a big liability and challenges his vulnerable ego. I think he will "accident" her.

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Hmm. . . I don't think so. I think part of what allows Walt to dip so low sequentially is this lie he tells himself that he is doing all this "for the family." I think he believes that Skyar will come around, because in his mind everything he wants can and will be accomplished.

I guess we'll see.

25. Sean Murdock

He's already threatened to have her committed -- "for the family" of course -- so I wouldn't put anything past him.

I'm starting to think it's possible that someone major might not even survive these first 8 episodes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.